Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
How exactly to get Kindle books for non-Kindle?

Can someone provide the exact sequence to access Kindle bargain/free ebooks without installing the Kindle (or other) software? NOTE: I already have Calibre and use it regularly, but never for Kindle...only for Sony.

How do I recognize KDP ebooks versus whatever other kind they have?

Then what are the steps I follow to get the books for Calibre?

Thank you!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't. You need to install "Kindle for PC" (if you have a Windows PC, that is).
You can't download Kindle books unless you have some form of Kindle - either a real Kindle reader or a Kindle app - registered with Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Kindle for PC is free and I only have it so I can download Amazon's books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, but since the OP states that he doesn't want to install it, he's out of luck .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Personally, it being free, I have no qualms about installing it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I bowed to necessity, but I resent it. It is free, but it takes up space in my computer for (what is essentially) their storefront, makes (yet another) redundant folder for itself in My Documents, communicates without necessarily asking me first, etc., etc.

Don't mind my griping. I had a lousy sleep last night.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I bowed to necessity
C, Thus far (at least), I have NOT bowed and have no intention of bowing.

Too many other options! And ebooks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Personally, it being free, I have no qualms about installing it.
Apache
As usual Apache, we are like minded.

Good idea for a thread, Pete.

Just soooo many freebies on Kindle. I didn't bow, I ~CAVED~

Good luck on your mission.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Personally, I don't like kindle for PC either, especially since I like Linux better than Windows. I have a dual boot Windows/Linux, and I'm very restrictive about what gets installed on my ordinary Windows partition. But I use VirtualBox to create virtual Windows machines where kindle for PC and other crapware gets installed. In virtual machines, anything goes
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Goes right over my head...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
Goes right over my head...
Sorry. I'll try to explain better.

On an ordinary installation of Windows you have to format your drive and install all software when you need a fresh installation. if you install crapware/adware/spyware on purpose or by accident, you need an expensive anti-virus to remove it again. Once spy-ware is installed, someone can watch your every move.

Virtualbox is a program that makes it possible to have a virtual machine, i.e. you start virtualbox, boot the virtual machine, and it runs separately from your ordinary installation.

On the photo you see a Linux desktop with a Windows environment in a separate window; this is a virtual Windows machine. All crapware/dubious software can be installed on the virtual machine. If you get spyware on the virtual machine it doesn't affect your primary installation, and it is much easier also to delete an infected virtual installation and make a new fresh installation.

It takes some work to set it up, learn to use it, and some space for virtual storage, but it's a great way for "sandboxing" dubious/unwanted software
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have Kindle For PC on my (Windows XP) desktop, but find that the 20 inch widescreen monitor is less than ideal for extended reading.

I have an Ubuntu netbook that is a bit better for reading, and can come with me to the comfortable chair in the living room. It took me a lo-ooo-ong time, and a lot of tweaks, but I got K4PC working under Wine in Ubuntu. But, like a house of cards, I'm worried about making any changes that might unexpectedly cause it to crash.

But, if it does get a problem, I documented my steps -- and I suspect it would be easier to wipe and reinstall than getting the Malware off my PC back in 2007 was!

Last edited by cromag; 09-05-2012 at 12:35 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
It took me a lo-ooo-ong time, and a lot of tweaks, but I got K4PC working under Wine in Ubuntu. But, like a house of cards, I'm worried about making any changes that might unexpectedly cause it to crash.
Wine can be a pain in the you-know-what. I don't want to advertise virtualbox too much here, but I have found that it makes it possible to run native Windows-programs in ubuntu flawlessly. The only drawback is that it requires quite a lot of resources
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
Wald07
Audiophile

Like a tech-brain to figure all this all out? I am not so nearly advanced.

Gave in and bought a Kindle, in addition to my Kobo, and no knowledge to even run Calibre.
It's not all bad, being a simpleton, y'know...I get all the AMZ freebies
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You need the Kindle for PC or what even your computer is to recieve Any Amazon eBook! Then you need Calibre to Strip DRM to change the Formate! To install on your reader to read. Me I am not smart enought to figure out the Strip LOL So I now have Sony for ebooks I want to BUY & Kindle for ALL those Freebies LOL I hate that eReaders Lock you into Buying eBooks from 1 Store! I hoping my Sony gives me more Freedom of Who I want to do business with!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote