Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2021, 01:38 AM   #1
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Libra H2O vs Libra 2 (from reddit)

From reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...rightness_and/

(Libra H2O vs Libra 2 (screen brightness and contrast) - photos)

So I got the Libra H20 less than a month ago : a week after I bought it, Kobo announced the refreshed model. I thought I'd might as well get the new one, compare and return either one.

I haven't had time yet to really use the new Libra 2, but so far I can easily tell a few differences :

The Libra 2 definitely feels more "chunky", like it's heavier and thicker. I'll have to see if it negatively impacts long reading sessions, but from this I'm pretty sure I won't snap a case on it, I'll rather use a traveling pouch or something

The lighting is better imo, the yellow/orange tint is much more yellow/orange than before and that's nice

The blacks are infinitely better, very great contrast - I used to invert the screen of my Libra H2O to read in bed, it was working totally alright, but the screen really did improve on this (I now understand why they officially support "Dark mode" on the Libra 2)

The buttons are a bit better, less clicky, more "roundy" feeling

However, the screen doesn't seem all that faster - the refreshes seem to be quicker but when having the same book opened and going forward with the buttons at the same fast pace (like 1-2 pages per second), the Libra 2 would get an edge but then somehow the H2O would catch up.

So here are pictures comparing them side-by-side : White background with white and yellow light, then black background with white and yellow light. The Libra H2O is on the left, the Libra 2 is on the right. The luminosity was set at 100% in all pictures, and either completely white (knob to the left) or completely yellow (knob all to the right).

Note: There are still two images in the reddit link that shows the dark mode screens but for some reason the images refuse to be uploaded here (even after reducing the image sizes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	189721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	189722  

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-20-2021 at 03:06 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #2
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks!, I'm very interested in kobo sage and this new display looks great!
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2021, 02:52 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
However, the screen doesn't seem all that faster - the refreshes seem to be quicker but when having the same book opened and going forward with the buttons at the same fast pace (like 1-2 pages per second), the Libra 2 would get an edge but then somehow the H2O would catch up.
The first part of that is pretty much how I expected it. The has been a lot of comments about the Carta 1200 screen being faster. But, the way that the ereaders use the screens isn't going to show that. I'd expect the difference to be noticeable if they played a video. But, ereaders render the page and then send that to the screen. Then render the next when requested and sends that. The CPU, storage access and RAM etc are all going to be more important than the screen.

And the difference in the hardware between the Libra H2O and Libra 2 is pretty small. It's the case, the screen, storage and whatever is needed for the Bluetooth to work. It is the same CPU and RAM. I'm pretty sure the access to the storage and screen will be the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #4
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@davidfor
Is there information about the battery capacity in the new Libra 2?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm glad Kobo is finally going for a more orange screen. My Glowlight 3 puts my Clara to shame there.

At first, I was disappointed that Kobo was losing the wedge shape on the Libra. But the more I see of the 2, the more appealing it is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm glad Kobo is finally going for a more orange screen. My Glowlight 3 puts my Clara to shame there.

At first, I was disappointed that Kobo was losing the wedge shape on the Libra. But the more I see of the 2, the more appealing it is.
You're the first person I thought of when I saw that "orangier" orange.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You're the first person I thought of when I saw that "orangier" orange.
Yeah If you have nothing to compare to, the peach tones Kobo uses probably look just fine. But then I saw the Glowlight 3 and as the song says: How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paris)?
Old 10-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
And this is clearly why not going into interior design was a smart move on my part - I see no orange, only yellow
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah If you have nothing to compare to, the peach tones Kobo uses probably look just fine. But then I saw the Glowlight 3 and as the song says: How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paris)?
I've had ereaders that went to a very orange screen. If I wanted to read by candlelight, I'd use candles.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
@davidfor
Is there information about the battery capacity in the new Libra 2?
All the items I've seen agree the Libra 2 has a 1500mAh battery.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Welp,, if the contrast is, as sated, noticeably better I'm sold for an upgrade.. but I think I'll wait to look at a store demo unit.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #12
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
All the items I've seen agree the Libra 2 has a 1500mAh battery.
Quote:
Libra2 also has 1200 mAh battery and the power cover weighs 239g!
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...able-to-order/

I can't find any official information (or close to official).
Old 10-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I've had ereaders that went to a very orange screen. If I wanted to read by candlelight, I'd use candles.
Of course, you could just slide it less far to the right. It is a slider, not an off/on switch.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-20-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
Semwize
Guru

Quote:

+
Old 10-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #15
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...able-to-order/

I can't find any official information (or close to official).
Libra 2 - 1500mAh
https://www.dropbox.com/s/va8os0bu8c...sheet.pdf?dl=0

Sage - 1200mAh
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6goljpheer...sheet.pdf?dl=0

This is from Kobo site, so it should be official.
https://prod-news.kobo.com/media-hub...kobo-libra-h2o

Last edited by Krios; 10-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote