Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #3076
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that character has been introduced, and I groaned a bit recognizing the super-Hitler trope from Nantucket. The premise of Dies the Fire is that the same moment in 1998 that Nantucket disappeared, electricity and combustion (including gunpowder) stopped working everywhere else, the combination of which strongly suggests some kind of alien test or experiment, but I doubt we'll get an explanation. That said, the non-Hitler characters are great, and Stirling's exploration of the scenario is compelling so far even if he stays well clear of "mind blowing" possibilities.

As for Correia, reading more of his work and learning of his role in Sad Puppies did shed some new light on that fiasco and the likely role of the Dunning Kruger Effect in driving the whole thing (particularly given MHI's semi-autobiographical "We swear he's super smart!" protagonist), but going any farther in that direction takes us into verboten P&R territory. Everything I've read from him so far is solid 3-star pulp, perfectly entertaining, but the idea that it deserves awards in addition to the massive licensing deals (Monster Hunter is a hugely successful video game franchise) is delusional.

Agreed that Oliver Wyman did a great job with the material. The narrator for Dies the Fire is solid overall, but has some odd pronunciations, including RAY-shun for ration or rationing, which comes up often in the early going.
If you are a shooter, you might recognize the protagonist, i.e. accountants carrying a few extra pounds who like to shoot, have fantasies about being the hero and get the girl away from the rich super smarmy guy. The chicks with glasses are hot line was a dead give away. Yea, it's a pulp in the classic sense. Right now, I get the impression that Corriea has Honor Harrington syndrome, in that he's gotten a bit bored with it, but it's a very lucrative franchise and he doesn't know how to wrap it up. The last couple don't quite have that sense of fun that the first ones did.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #3077
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just finished Sarah Langan's Good Neighbors, excellently narrated by Nicole Lewis. Wow.

I've read a couple of Langan's previous horror novels; Good Neighbors is horror of a subtler sort, with a Shirley Jackson vibe. Here, the monsters are the human inhabitants of suburban Maple Street (yes, there's an echo of the notable Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"), whose new neighbors don't fit in.

Best novel of the 2021 so far, supplanting Sarah Pearse's Sanatorium.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #3078
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m still enjoying Cousin Bette. I’ve added Simenon’s The Blue Room, one of his romans durs, read by Jack Hawkins and it’s terrific. Only four hours and I found that I only let myself listen to so much at a time, so as not to finish it too rapidly.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #3079
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm a couple of hours into Louis Bayard's Courting Mr. Lincoln, which is moving slower than I'd like, but the alternating point-of-view between Mary Todd and Joshua Speed looks be be... interesting.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #3080
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm a couple of hours into Louis Bayard's Courting Mr. Lincoln, which is moving slower than I'd like, but the alternating point-of-view between Mary Todd and Joshua Speed looks be be... interesting.
I ended up abandoning that. Not necessarily for all time, but I also found it dragged enough that it wasn’t the right book at that moment for me.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #3081
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I ended up abandoning that. Not necessarily for all time, but I also found it dragged enough that it wasn’t the right book at that moment for me.
I hear you - it's not exactly a slog, but...
Old 03-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #3082
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Listening to the latest Liam Campbell mystery from Dana Stabenow, Spoils of the Dead. Narrated by Margarite Gavin, who does her usual superb job. The book is looking like a 3-4 star, but the narration is solid 5 star.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #3083
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Also doing a re-listen to the Flavia Albia series by Lindsey Davis (Ides of April). I recall reading Hesperides in print, as the one-time reader for it was awful. The others are fine.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #3084
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I’m listening to Yogi by Jon Pessah, read by Oliver Wyman, the recent biography of the baseball great (who else?). This has been on my wishlist since I read a review and I’d rather have read it, but it only finally showed up in one of my libraries and only in audio.

Unfortunately, this would be a better read for me. At over 20 hours, it’s too long for a baseball bio and there’s lots of padding. Reading, I could have skipped the account of D-Day, just as one example. And part of what makes good baseball books good is their perspective of the zeitgeist and this is shallow. The prose is pretty dire. But I always like to read a baseball book during spring training and this is entertaining enough for listening to in bed, mostly because Yogi, who doesn’t like him? But it’s a disappointment overall.

Time to go pour myself some Yoo-hoo.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #3085
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (read by Richmond Hoxie) and a reread of the first two Sherlock Holmes novels (A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, read by Stephen Fry).

Started The Metamorphoses by Ovid (really liking that one—it's the Horace Gregory translation read by Charlton Griffin), and Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart (read by Christina Moore).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-15-2021 at 09:32 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #3086
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I listened to Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke, narrated by Andi Arndt. This was a breezy, interesting view of the stewardesses of Pan Am in the jet age, telling the broader story by focusing on a handful of women and their experiences, including flying soldiers in and out of Vietnam and evacuating children as the war ended.

Now I feel like watching the TV series Pan Am again, or maybe reading a Vicki Barr book!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #3087
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I listened to Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke, narrated by Andi Arndt. This was a breezy, interesting view of the stewardesses of Pan Am in the jet age, telling the broader story by focusing on a handful of women and their experiences, including flying soldiers in and out of Vietnam and evacuating children as the war ended.

Now I feel like watching the TV series Pan Am again, or maybe reading a Vicki Barr book!
Do you remember Coffee, Tea or Me? which turned out to be written by a man who made it all up?
Old 03-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #3088
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you remember Coffee, Tea or Me? which turned out to be written by a man who made it all up?
Yes, I remember reading a paperback copy; the book is discussed in Come Fly the World.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #3089
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm listening to The Fine Art of Murder by Donald Bain and narrated by Sandra Burr. I still enjoy this cozy mystery series. Very companionable and excellent to listen to while I sort through stuff.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #3090
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm listening to The Fine Art of Murder by Donald Bain and narrated by Sandra Burr. I still enjoy this cozy mystery series. Very companionable and excellent to listen to while I sort through stuff.
Serendipity! Donald Bain is the man who wrote Coffee, Tea or Me?

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations