Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
siclib
siclib began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Poke 2
Question Automate Add new users to Server at specific time of the day

I am not sure if this is the place for this topic but I think ill post it here anyway.

As far as I know, calibre-server has to be turned off in order to manage users.
I am using ubuntu and ideally I want to put soon-added members at the end of the day because I dont want to stop the server at middle of the day and cant stay awake midnight also. Is it possible to achieve this with bash script?

Example:
1AM
check if users.txt is empty or not, if not
stop calibre-server
do a while loop to grab users and passwords from users.txt and add to userdb
delete users and passwords
start calibre-server

Thank you very much
siclib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should write a python script for that, not bash, it will be easier. Something like:

Code:
import subprocess

users = tuple(filter(None, open('users.txt').read().splitlines()))
if users:
    subprocess.check_call('systemctl stop calibre-server'.split())
    for user in users:
         username, password = user.split()
         subprocess.check_call(['calibre-server', '--manage-users', '--', 'add', username, password])
    subprocess.check_call('systemctl start calibre-server')
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
siclib

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should write a python script for that, not bash, it will be easier. Something like:

Code:
import subprocess

users = tuple(filter(None, open('users.txt').read().splitlines()))
if users:
    subprocess.check_call('systemctl stop calibre-server'.split())
    for user in users:
         username, password = user.split()
         subprocess.check_call(['calibre-server', '--manage-users', '--', 'add', username, password])
    subprocess.check_call('systemctl start calibre-server')

This is exactly what I am up to, python surely makes things much easier
In your code i can see you use "-- add" with a space. Is there any documentation on how to edit library restrictions and prompt read-only access? I want to suppress the dialog and input it thru one or a series of commands like what you did there.
Thank you in advance
Old 11-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm afraid there is no command for automatically editing restrictions/readonly. You could probably script something up using expect or pexpect. Or open a ticket asking for the feature.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
siclib

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, I'm afraid there is no command for automatically editing restrictions/readonly. You could probably script something up using expect or pexpect. Or open a ticket asking for the feature.
Ok great, i opened a feature request here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1952764

Tags
automate, content server, manage users, userdb