Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
alex1964
alex1964 began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil 0.8.4
entering a video into an e-book

how is it possible to enter an mp4 or any other video file into an e-book? I wrote the code, an empty player appeared, but I can't specify the path to the file. I entered the mp4 file into the book and I wrote the path to the book, but the player is also empty. How to do it correctly?
here is the player code with the link:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>

<title>video</title>
</head>

<body>
<video width="400" height="300" controls="controls" poster="video/duel.jpg">
<source src="video/duel.ogv" type='video/ogg; codecs="theora, vorbis"'>
<source src="C:\Users\acer\Documents\Алёша\ЛИТТКА\ТЕКСТЫ\Р АССКАЗЫ\проба 01.epub\перв_лицо_Шмагина.mp4" type='video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2"'>
<source src="video/duel.webm" type='video/webm; codecs="vp8, vorbis"'>Тег video не поддерживается вашим браузером. <a href="video/duel.mp4">Скачайте видео</a>.</source>
</source>
</source>
</video>

<p><br /></p>
</body>
</html>

this player supports many video formats, I left links to other types (video.duel), I think this will not be a mistake.
Or is the code only suitable for the url address and the code cannot be used in an e-book?
alex1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't believe video content is accepted by Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing platform, so I've never ventured there.

I long ago concluded that in ebooks, simplicity is everything. I extend that philosophy to drop-caps, typefaces, media calls, and indeed every complexity that I can possibly avoid.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It is only supported in epub3. Also you can not use a absolute url to a local file located outside the epub. You can host the video on an external server but must add the appropriate "remote" properties in the opf manifest.

Simply search for epub3 video example on the internet for a working example.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Both Sigil and Calibre have tools to make it easy to load an existing video into an epub.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I'm pretty sure that in most cases, this is an example of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
fbrzvnrnd
Evangelist
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Please read some examples of video in ePub. there are a lot of problems in your code, as others said you can not use a absolute path, and you can not create a source tag inside another source tag.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
I also noticed that you had <title> tags in the header - twice. Not sure if it would cause a failure, but it should only occur once.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I don't believe video content is accepted by Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing platform, so I've never ventured there.

I long ago concluded that in ebooks, simplicity is everything. I extend that philosophy to drop-caps, typefaces, media calls, and indeed every complexity that I can possibly avoid.
Agree totally. I do use added typefaces, but check that fallback on primitive or older ereaders or people not selecting "Publisher Fonts" does work. I'd add SMALL CAPS to the list to avoid, though they work on some of my ereaders. Experts here know that SMALL CAPS actually need a separate face, they are poor if done by simply using a smaller font size. See also Oblique vs true Italic. Also for 100% compatibility to Kindle (epub uploaded to KDP), apps and all eink, I only use epub2. An App is better than epub3 if you really need the extra features.

It can be valid to have video, or video + audio in a book like document. But then it's not actually an ebook. I prefer do do such as an App. It will then only work on phones and tablets, but most eink ereaders in use don't support video and many don't have any audio, or need additional HW and FW for audio (Kindle PW3).

Last edited by Quoth; 01-11-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 AM   #9
fbrzvnrnd
Evangelist
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But then it's not actually an ebook.

I turn the perspective upside down: an ebook with video, code and audio is a true digital book. The 'simple' ebook you describe is not a digital book, it is a paper book, digitized. I understand that there are subjects (like Amazon) who, in order to maintain a domesticated market, are rowing against innovation, but at least we developers should be clear about what we are doing and what is the path that we have been waiting for decades to take.

f.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
With that reasoning, you could say it's a digital paperclip too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I turn the perspective upside down: an ebook with video, code and audio is a true digital book. The 'simple' ebook you describe is not a digital book, it is a paper book, digitized.
No, what you describe is an app. Available for over 15 years on smartphones and over 30 years on PCs.
An ebook isn't simply a digitized version of a paper book. It's a really electronic book, the pages reflow to suit screen size and user selected font size or face. A PDF is a digitized paper book. Either a literal scan, or a scan plus OCR or a Proof containing the fonts, images, texts, and vectors to create an exactly identical paper copy anywhere.

You can be Humpty Dumpty and try and redefine what an ebook is, as does epub3. But epub3 to do interactive, video, audio and text is just a crippled way of doing multimedia that needs a special host app, compared to an App or program framework.
When you've done the multimedia app or program once for all current platforms it's trivial to change the content. Even HTML5 + Javascript + SQL server + CSS3 is very limited compared to an app, but better than epub3 for multimedia.

Your supposed more advanced future ebook with code and video is just a limited version of what we had even nearly 30 years ago on DOS, or Mac, or Windows 3.1, so not new or advanced and needs a suitable host app. So distribution is a huge headache.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Watching video, background radio, listening to an audiobook or audio drama, reading a novel or using interactive multimedia are five different activities. Can be complementary. None are going to replace the others.
Different people will use different tools to produce a deliverable product. It's only a source of confusion to consumers distribute multimedia that needs a host app and call it an advanced ebook. It's not at all the same experience as reading.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
phillipgessert
Zealot
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
To me it just doesn't follow that that would be a natural evolution of a book. Like there is nothing wrong with such a thing, but it wouldn't occur to me to call a wrapper for all sorts of multimedia content a "book."
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I turn the perspective upside down: an ebook with video, code and audio is a true digital book. The 'simple' ebook you describe is not a digital book, it is a paper book, digitized.
The term I like is "print-under-glass".

I remember AZARDI's blog writing about that back in 2016:

"Indexes in eBooks Are Very Much Alive"

which attributes the term in this article:

"The Lost Art of Indexes in Ebooks" by Joe Wikert

Stinks that Digital Book World's old blog was taken down a few years back... makes it a pain to find good info that used to be posted there.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-12-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
fbrzvnrnd
Evangelist

The criticism that an ebook with code, video or sound is not something new, but simply an application as they have been doing for thirty years is rather naïve. From this point of view, an ebook has nothing more than the dozens of formats to manage texts that have been created in the world of information technology in the last 40 years. What changes, let's face it clearly, is that none of the tools created to represent digital texts were born to make them enjoyable to read. As immature and clumsy as it is, e-ink is a key achievement in opening up a digital reader market.

Now: once this digital text reading tool exists, what should stop me from doing digital stuff instead of mimic the "book object" digitally? If I can program digital things that appear on instruments that use a screen that makes it enjoyable to be read, why should I cut my hands off and not come up with things that I couldn't do with a paper book?

One objection is that the book is for the pleasure of reading, and that animations, video and sound are not reading, and therefore shouldn't fit inside an object born to read. But in reality, sounds, animations and videos are not in, not because of the noble choice of the "pleasure of reading", but because the book just can't do it. They are not there because the book is not able to keep them within itself. Otherwise it would keep contain them, as it contains photographs and comics.

We must not think of the ebook as a digital object that serves the pleasure of reading, but an object that serves the pleasure of knowledge.

And don't think of videos and animations and sounds as extraneous to writing: words can change over time, they can move in space, they can interact with the reader, create stories, connect with other stories, enter a video and relate with it. Words can speak and make sounds. Again: words can stop having meaning, become signs, no longer mean anything.

Don't you want to call them ebooks because they look less and less like books? Maybe you are right, new terms are needed to define digital objects ranging from video games to electronic literature. Digital publications, polistories, electronic novels, multimedia essays.

I'm not interested in the term and I'm not even interested in the format, as much as their raison d'etre: right now they are the most interesting thing to do in literature and keeping them out of the digital publishing market is a huge contradiction.