Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just don't use Google Drive for your Calibre library. Problem solved.
- it's not as if GD is the only cloud storage provider.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is to use a local Calibre library on the computer. Then use a program such as FreeFileSync (Windows) to sync to the cloud storage directory so it can then be updated on the cloud server. That's the safest way to do it.

I've read many messages about people messing up their libraries by trying to use it directly on the cloud server or in the cloud storage directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Jon, Jon

You can't just tell him not to do it.

Some folk NEED to shoot themselves in the foot
before they believe
Then what will happen is the OP will come back with problems and we'll end up picking up the pieces. I'm trying to avoid that.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris B View Post
Searches have revealed a bunch of threads
They're all pretty old and it looks to me like the advice might be out of date.

... I've created several dummy files in my GDrive, with parentheses in the main part of the filename, in the extension, with and without containing spaces etc. So far they've survived syncs and file edits intact.
The next step is start using Google Drive with a small testing Calibre database. Start using it, get creative.
Create database entries with weird author names and titles, edit a book, add books to the database, add books to existing records, delete books from different computer, make a manual change in a filesystem to see how gracefully system recovers, import empty file as a cover, import very large file as a cover, start importing large epub and yank ethernet cable, import damaged epub file and ask Calibre fetch metadata from it, drag and drop 1000 ebook files to the Calibre and if it survives drop the connection to the net during the process, do large metadata edit, export database, import database, try recovering from backup ...

Steps after that would be
- create backup of your main Calibre database
- make sure the backup is readable and usable
- create *another* backup in another location
- start testing your main Calibre database on Google Drive thoroughly
- the last step would be reporting any problems and/or success, so that those stale threads are more recent.

Yes, some of us need to try things that were reported in the past as "not working". Sometimes we might shoot ourselves into a foot (hopefully with a backup foot available for use immediately), sometimes we make progress happen ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then what will happen is the OP will come back with problems and we'll end up picking up the pieces. I'm trying to avoid that.
Nothing other than 'We warned you'

The problem these days, is people are using Lawyers to replace common sense. Just listen to the disclaimers on TV.
What happened to: "If it hurts, STOP doing that"????
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The solution is to DON'T DO IT!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually the solution is test it and see. Set up a test library. Access it from multiple computers. Try a range of things. Document what you try. See if you can break it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #23
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Keep a good local backup of everything. Also keep locally versions of the database files as at different dates. Accept that what you are doing is risky and not recommended or supported. This means that if things do go wrong and you ask for help, you will get many I told you so's and some members will refuse to help.

If you try it on Google Drive, best of luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #24
Cris B
Cris B began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The next step is start using Google Drive with a small testing Calibre database. Start using it, get creative ...
Good suggestions cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Keep a good local backup of everything. Also keep locally versions of the database files as at different dates. Accept that what you are doing is risky and not recommended or supported ...
Also makes sense, thanks. Though I don't think it's really so risky with redundant backups.

Having said all that, experiment plans are on hold for now. My home server has just died (motherboard I think), and as I've shifted most of its functions to an offsite (headless) machine I'm may not fix or replace it in a hurry. I'm down to running Calibre just on my daily work laptop, so I don't really need to mirror the data for now. I'll report back if I do start running a 2nd machine again and try this out.
Cris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
re ALL your book covers appearing in google photos, once you copy calibre library to G drive. so they show whenever you access cloud photos e,.g, from phone, tablet, PC...

- more googling tells me there is no fix. so depending what books you read, you may want to reconsider having them in google drive, as the family photos viewing sessions could suddenly feature lurid book covers & become a tad embarrassing
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #26
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just did a quick search, and it looks like it is still happening.

This link is from 2012 thru 2013 and it wasn't fixed in that time frame.
https://productforums.google.com/for...8DQ/discussion

This one is from 2014
https://productforums.google.com/for...ve/-7D1toBKPHc

This one from 2016
https://productforums.google.com/for...ve/9wpebu1f3WU

If a serious bug like this wasn't fixed in the first year, I'd say that's a good indicator it won't be fixed.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #27
AllthatEvil
AllthatEvil began at the beginning.

Device: Smartphone + FHD Win 10 Desktop PC
The main problem here is IMHO:

Today in 2017 cloud storage / webservices / SaaS has replaced local file storage for many ppl, and most casual users are not using Windows/MacOS anymore, and turned to mobile OS like Android+iOS.
And even new Windows devices like the Surface line have extremely low storage compared to full blown desktops, so cloud storage is the only way to go if you want to run an ecosystem of e.g. Android and Windows.
Plus Google Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox are available to everyone with a Smartphone without any $ spend.

Using a client-server model for Calibre is just not good (meaning easy and good user experience) for most users, meaning non tech users.
We more tech skilled ppl often cant understand this tech knowledge barrier, and try to push casual users into what we think is the best (meaning best possible by any means).

When someone doesnt know about network tech, firewalls, router config, Carrier grade NAT, IPv6/v4 etc., running a server on a desktop or NAS is just no viable option.
So either we provide a true easily usable way to help non tech skilled ppl, or they try what they can.. No need to talk down on those ppl..

Fact is: You can use OneDrive (Dont know about GDrive) for this. I too wouldnt use it for syncing between 2 active desktop pcs when using calibre simultaneously, but for reading on my android phone. There are now 4 quite good apps for this on the play store, most pretty stable and mature.

Only thing to think of: I too wouldnt trust the MS OneDrive Sync client with this. Problem with long filenames/paths, etc.
Just get a copy of Goodsync (Best File Sync Software with cloud storage support atm IMHO.. And no, i am not the dev..), or Syncovery, or Beyond Compare, and have them auto sync the calibre database files to the cloud and vice versa.
As long as you dont use it (near) simultaneously on 2 PCs, and have a proper upload bandwith, this shouldnt be an issue. In fact i use Goodsync to sync my user file folder between 2 windows 10 pcs, software databases and other critical stuff for years now, without any problem.

So there is a way.. If that way is for you too, you got to decide for yourself. Like with anything in the world..

And for the future i dont see any other effective way as using cloud storage to sync for android. The client-server thing is a waste of energy, and leaves out most non tech skilled users, plus making endless trouble at complicated network scenarios like with DS Lite, Firewalling, Router config etc.

just my 1/2 cents..
AllthatEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I placed a backup copy of calibre library into my google drive. Now, all my book covers are also showing up as "photos" in google photos. which is both silly and annoying. Is there any easy way to stop google doing that ?
I had the same problem.

In Photos, go into Settings and scroll down. There's an option labelled "Google Drive: Show Google Drive photos and videos in your Photos library". Turn that off.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I had the same problem.

In Photos, go into Settings and scroll down. There's an option labelled "Google Drive: Show Google Drive photos and videos in your Photos library". Turn that off.
but surely that would turn off all our actual photos - i just discovered the unlimited storage and sync options and spent ages uploading 50Gb of them - 10 years worth TO google drive. that's when I discovered that all my book covers were mixed in with the " real" family photos

What I was aiming for was to move away from having that 50+Gb collection on each device, and have them primarily in the cloud instead, where any android phone or tablet could access them on demand. We sort of have that facility with amazon cloud but access is only from amazon devices, not from any other android TV options. Using google as well as gives access to photos from more devices. and amazon's cataloguing is awful, they are even worse at photo catalogues than they are at book catalogues

it's a growth thing also, When we first had digital photos we'd take maybe 3Gb in a year. But in 2016 my wife added 20Gb in a single year just from her smart phone and camera uploads. And it will be my fault if we lose any

I guess I will stick to dropbox as my only cloud storage for calibre books, as a workaround. it's either that or the drastic step of delete all the cover images from the cloud copy of the database.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but surely that would turn off all our actual photos - i just discovered the unlimited storage and sync options and spent ages uploading 50Gb of them - 10 years worth TO google drive. that's when I discovered that all my book covers were mixed in with the " real" family photos

What I was aiming for was to move away from having that 50+Gb collection on each device, and have them primarily in the cloud instead, where any android phone or tablet could access them on demand. We sort of have that facility with amazon cloud but access is only from amazon devices, not from any other android TV options. Using google as well as gives access to photos from more devices. and amazon's cataloguing is awful, they are even worse at photo catalogues than they are at book catalogues

it's a growth thing also, When we first had digital photos we'd take maybe 3Gb in a year. But in 2016 my wife added 20Gb in a single year just from her smart phone and camera uploads. And it will be my fault if we lose any

I guess I will stick to dropbox as my only cloud storage for calibre books, as a workaround. it's either that or the drastic step of delete all the cover images from the cloud copy of the database.
I guess it depends on how you uploaded the photos. If you're using Google Photos unlimited storage capacity, then no, it shouldn't hide those pictures.

At any rate, that option doesn't delete anything. Just try it. If it hides everything, then turn it back on. What have you lost?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google drive, library backup