Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #4021
gunbad
Connoisseur
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage
There are 10 categories, 20 to 40 books in each. So, over 200 titles as the ad claims.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #4022
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbad View Post
There are 10 categories, 20 to 40 books in each. So, over 200 titles as the ad claims.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't have a credit membership, so I can't see the offers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 02:02 AM   #4023
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Learn Arabic, FREE, Courtesy of the American University of Cairo.

Learn the Arabic language, via sound modules, for _free_, courtesy of the American University of Cairo (AUC), and to hosting by SoundCloud. I do not know if these modules can be downloaded.

Need a job? The State Department, Department of Defense, and probably several other U.S. agencies, are probably always in need of people who are able to speak and understand Arabic, to one extent or another.

There are probably other free courses on Arabic in places on the Internet. Sorry, but I do not know how well they stack up against this one, nor even how good this one is. Reason: listening to these modules requires an app (every company seems to require an app to do business with them nowadays, and I'm sick of them, personally). I can say that AUC is apparently a prestigious institution. Maybe our resident Egyptologist (sp?), moderator Harry T, will see this post and chime in about it. But he might be busy spending time with his mummy right now.

https://soundcloud.com/aucpress.

Correction: It appears that you _can_ listen without the app. If so, you may be able to download the modules, too.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-08-2018 at 02:15 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #4024
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Posted a rough draft of the post above. Ack!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-08-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #4025
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 08 Oct @ 11:59 PM BST
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #4026
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 08 Oct @ 11:59 PM PT
Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #4027
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Downpour -- exp 08 Oct
Old 10-09-2018, 04:15 AM   #4028
odo
Connoisseur
odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've recently re-activated my subscription to Scribd, which in addition to ebooks offers unlimited audiobooks for $8.99/month. I don't recall having heard of this service here.

If you want to try, registering through this link you will get two free months, instead of the usual offer of just one (and I get an additional one free, also; I don't know if this kind of promotion is allowed here. If not, I apologise and please feel free to delete my post):

https://es.scribd.com/g/6mrplf
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #4029
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 09 Oct @ 11:59 PM BST
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #4030
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 09 Oct @ 11:59 PM PT
Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #4031
tch65721
Zealot
tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.tch65721 goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle touch
Can anyone buy today's Audible daily deal through Amazon? I ask only because BookGorilla has it advertised as a daily deal. https://www.bookgorilla.com/deals

I wouldn't think they could do that if it were exclusive to members.
tch65721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #4032
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Can anyone buy today's Audible daily deal through Amazon? I ask only because BookGorilla has it advertised as a daily deal. https://www.bookgorilla.com/deals

Nope - I'm a non-member and it's showing full price for me.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #4033
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
I've recently re-activated my subscription to Scribd, which in addition to ebooks offers unlimited audiobooks for $8.99/month. I don't recall having heard of this service here.

If you want to try, registering through this link you will get two free months, instead of the usual offer of just one (and I get an additional one free, also; I don't know if this kind of promotion is allowed here. If not, I apologise and please feel free to delete my post):

https://es.scribd.com/g/6mrplf
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nope - I'm a non-member and it's showing full price for me.
FWIW, the only possible exception to that, that I know of, is with a Whispersync Deal.

I am an "Inactive Lighter" (Arrgggh. I still hate that moniker!). That is not a credit membership. Up until October 1, however, we could get the Daily Deal, by itself, for the same price as the credit members. Well, that has gone the way of the dinosaurs, the carrier pigeon, the dodo bird . . . . you get the idea.

The following has limited application, I know. But over the years I've noticed that, with a WS Deal on an Amazon Kindle ebook, I can buy the audio portion, _at Audible_, as long as it on the same day, for what the price is of the Daily Deal _that day_. I am all but certain that I have seen one or more instances of that since September 30. Furthermore, I don't think that this is exclusive to members.

The fly in the ointment is that if you have no interest in the ebook, it might not be worth the price that you have to pay for the WS Deal, in order to get the Daily Deal price on the audio.

The straightforward answer to your questions: technically, you can get the Daily Deal price, through a WS Deal. And, I didn't cover this above, but if you do want the WS Deal, you get it the same way that everyone has to: you go to the _ebook's_ webpage _at Amazon_ and request the "audible narration." A stop at Audible is pointless (unless you buy the ebook _within hat same day_ (Amazon and Audible both go by Pacific Time)).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-09-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: A little bit of everything.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #4034
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Rental of the Week -- exp 15 Oct
  • $1.99 -- Musashi -- Eiji Yoshikawa/ Brian Nishii --> 53.4 hrs --> historical
Quote:
The classic samurai novel about the real exploits of the most famous swordsman

Miyamoto Musashi was the child of an era when Japan was emerging from decades of civil strife. Lured to the great Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 by the hope of becoming a samurai—without really knowing what it meant—he regains consciousness after the battle to find himself lying defeated, dazed, and wounded among thousands of the dead and dying. On his way home, he commits a rash act, becomes a fugitive, and brings life in his own village to a standstill—until he is captured by a weaponless Zen monk.

The lovely Otsū, seeing in Musashi her ideal of manliness, frees him from his tortuous punishment, but he is recaptured and imprisoned. During three years of solitary confinement, he delves into the classics of Japan and China. When he is set free again, he rejects the position of samurai and for the next several years pursues his goal relentlessly, looking neither to left nor to right.

Ever so slowly it dawns on him that following the Way of the Sword is not simply a matter of finding a target for his brute strength. Continually striving to perfect his technique, which leads him to a unique style of fighting with two swords simultaneously, he travels far and wide, challenging fighters of many disciplines, taking nature to be his ultimate and severest teacher and undergoing the rigorous training of those who follow the Way. He is supremely successful in his encounters, but in the Art of War he perceives the way of peaceful and prosperous governance and disciplines himself to be a real human being.

He becomes a reluctant hero to a host of people whose lives he has touched and been touched by. And, inevitably, he has to pit his skill against the naked blade of his greatest rival.

Musashi is a novel in the best tradition of Japanese storytelling. It is a living story, subtle and imaginative, teeming with memorable characters, many of them historical. Interweaving themes of unrequited love, misguided revenge, filial piety, and absolute dedication to the Way of the Samurai, it depicts vividly a world Westerners know only vaguely. Full of gusto and humor, it has an epic quality and universal appeal.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #4035
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible -- Rental Only -- exp unknown
  • FREE -- Dark Corners (7 titles) -- various/ various --> 10.5 hrs --> horror
Kin Unlim & Prime only
Quote:
Stories from the shadows

Don't believe what they say. There really is something to be afraid of in the dark. You'll find it in a quiet motel in the middle of nowhere, on the other side of an attic door, under the bed when the lights go out, and in your own imaginings when your mind starts playing tricks. Whatever your fears may be, the nightmares begin here.
7 short Kindle books with audio narration.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-10-2018 at 12:18 AM.