Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Firmware 3.15 discussion thread

3.15 has been released for all models, Arasyi has posted in the Firmware thread.

I've installed it on my H2O and didn't have any problems, other's here will identify what changes have occurred because I can't really see any differences at the moment.

(In due course, murg will include all the 3.15 variants in the first page post of the Firmware thread.)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, Kobo have released new firmware and the desktop application this morning. Both will have released for: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura. Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD. The Touch has not been updated but, from the beta list, "will be updated in a future release".

The release notes for the firmware are:
  • Support for Kobo Glo HD
  • Speed improvements
  • Various bug fixes

The release notes for the desktop application are:
  • Support Kobo Glo HD
  • Kobo Desktop for Mac OS X is now 64-bit

The following are the the notes I made during the during the beta testing. The are a compilation of what Kobo told us and what we found. They will be incomplete and there may be some things that I have included that Kobo took out at the last moment.

Changes:
  • Add support for Glo HD.
  • Reviews changes:
    • "Write a review" now on drop-down menu on book details page
    • Review tab appears when there are reviews. Can take a few seconds to happen.
  • If water detection is turned off, pinch and zoom in PDF and comic books work. H2O only.
  • Chess removed from beta features
  • No more Beyond the Book - except for related books.
  • Bottom bar remembers what was last displayed when reopened.
  • ISBN read for sideloaded epubs
  • Revamped UI for the on-device store
  • Improved EPUB compliance (this was from Kobo and I don't know what it means)

Fixes:
  • Changing WiFi network no longer prompts for network selection
  • Reduced ghosting when panning in a PDF
  • Selection handles could get cut off near the start/end/edges of pages
  • A word selected near the top or bottom of the page did not always show the dictionary dialog
  • Reduced double/missing page turns. And yes, it seems to be working.
  • Aura H2O - a book would not always download immediately after purchase
  • Show the Aura H2O water detection dialog less often for false-positives
  • Less ghosting after changing font settings
  • Various other bug fixes (Kobo didn't specify)

For other known bugs, if I didn't list it, it probably wasn't fixed. But, I don't have a full list and mainly check the things I am interested in.

Support for firmware 3.15.0 and the Glo HD was added to calibre in version 2.26.0. There were no changes in function.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-27-2015 at 10:45 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've put this on my Glo and it's fine. It will be better when it's patched.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Chess no longer on device?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
"Speed improvements" - is this improvement noticeable?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
"Speed improvements" - is this improvement noticeable?
Yes, but it's not an easily quantifiable thing, it just feels a bit smoother.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thanks!
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There I have to disagree. The difference on my H20 is stunning.. (mind you, I'm upgrading from the never released 3.13.1, which had the opposite effect.

Pan and zoom performance is greatly improved. and lots of other actions used to have great delay now respond much quicker.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Is the update out yet? I haven't receive anything on my Aura HD yet.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Do sideloaded kepubs get treated as they do in 3.13, i.e. the whole time until current, and next chapter, and book are finished?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
What's happend with chess game them?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
There I have to disagree. The difference on my H20 is stunning.. (mind you, I'm upgrading from the never released 3.13.1, which had the opposite effect.
One problem for me is that there were several betas and each is probably a little better. I got used to the speed differences as they came out.
Quote:
Pan and zoom performance is greatly improved. and lots of other actions used to have great delay now respond much quicker.
That I do agree with. I had reason to try this on my son's Glo to test something about how panning worked. That is running 3.12.1 and my Glo on whichever beta I was using was noticeable smoother. Almost a joy.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Is the update out yet? I haven't receive anything on my Aura HD yet.
Kobo always rolls the firmware out by region. They start slow in case of a problem and then expand over two or three weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Do sideloaded kepubs get treated as they do in 3.13, i.e. the whole time until current, and next chapter, and book are finished?
There is no change in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
What's happend with chess game them?
Kobo decided to pull it. They didn't give a reason.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
They bought back the double-tap to refresh feature! Thank you!

Edit: The menus don't seem to refresh under the selected item anymore, so the ghosting after you close the menu is very bad. For example try marking a book as finished, the "Mark as finished" ghost is very visible. In earlier firmware it would do a refresh just for the area of the screen under the menu to avoid this.

Edit2: The menu ghosting problem seems to be because the selected menu item is now highlighted as grey text on black background, whereas in earlier firmware is was white text on black background. The ghost that remains is the grey text. It might be possible to fix that with a patch to the appropriate stylesheet.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-28-2015 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Grey text on black background
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
They bought back the double-tap to refresh feature! Thank you!
I think that's really a refresh when removing the menu bars. The double-tap is just display the bars and hide them quickly. But, it is a good way to clean up the screen
Quote:
Edit: The menus don't seem to refresh under the selected item anymore, so the ghosting after you close the menu is very bad. For example try marking a book as finished, the "Mark as finished" ghost is very visible. In earlier firmware it would do a refresh just for the area of the screen under the menu to avoid this.
I was thinking I had seen this, but, I'm not seeing this on the H2O or GloHD. I'll check the Glo when I get home.