Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
KOA2 Motherboard Photos

Hi, I took apart a Kindle Oasis 9th Generation. Here are photos of the motherboard. Does anyone know where the serial port is, if anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181017_151408230[1].jpg
Views:	638
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	166970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181017_151419730[1].jpg
Views:	495
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	166971  
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Very nice photos. Congrats for taking the motherboard out without completely destroying it!

Is that a sim card slot in the first photo? Do you think it works on models that do not have 3g/lte?
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Very nice photos. Congrats for taking the motherboard out without completely destroying it!

Is that a sim card slot in the first photo? Do you think it works on models that do not have 3g/lte?
Yes and No.
If present, it is wired to the modem's SOC.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
kaneorotar
Enthusiast
kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: K3, KW3, PW4
The big block (Fibocom L816-AM) appears to be a LTE module. But the product information was somehow removed from the company's website (although still viewable through Google Cache).

User Manual: https://fccid.io/ZMOL816AM/Users-Man...al-3156027.pdf

It would be interesting to see if the WiFi only model have this module or not.

With my limited knowledge in circuits, here's my guess:

I'm seeing three antenna sockets on the top, supposedly 2 (on the left) for the LTE module and one (one the right) for Bluetooth. Then there is the connector for the display at the bottom center? I'm also not sure about the 3 connectors on the right, maybe one for the touch screen, one for the USB port and one for the battery or hardware button? It would be better if OP can upload photo for the other disassembled parts.

The pins numbered 1-5 might be worth looking into.
kaneorotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneorotar View Post
The big block (Fibocom L816-AM) appears to be a LTE module. But the product information was somehow removed from the company's website (although still viewable through Google Cache).

User Manual: https://fccid.io/ZMOL816AM/Users-Man...al-3156027.pdf

It would be interesting to see if the WiFi only model have this module or not.

With my limited knowledge in circuits, here's my guess:

I'm seeing three antenna sockets on the top, supposedly 2 (on the left) for the LTE module and one (one the right) for Bluetooth. Then there is the connector for the display at the bottom center? I'm also not sure about the 3 connectors on the right, maybe one for the touch screen, one for the USB port and one for the battery or hardware button? It would be better if OP can upload photo for the other disassembled parts.

The pins numbered 1-5 might be worth looking into.
Yes, I believe you are correct. The bottom center is the display connector. Then the three right are for battery, usb port, and I think hardware buttons. I am sorry but I can't upload more photos of the other parts. I completely ruined the display, battery ribbon cable and I think some other parts taking it apart. I already threw them away. I will see if I can get another one, and try doing a successful tear-down on that one without ruining it.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
epigram_copydesk
epigram_copydesk began at the beginning.

Device: PalmIIIxe, Kindle 3, KOA2
Cool Do you have video of the teardown ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
Hi, I took apart a Kindle Oasis 9th Generation.
Here are photos of the motherboard.
Does anyone know where the serial port is, if anywhere.
Do you have video of the teardown ?
epigram_copydesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
mnemonic
mnemonic began at the beginning.

Device: pw3, koa3
interesting, I would investigate 4 pins behind sim card, one looks like GND, next two signal TX, RX, and last one on the left like a power pin.
Are you able to connect battery, and measure voltage between first pin from the right, and first pin from the left?
Is it 1.8V?
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:55 AM   #8
mnemonic
mnemonic began at the beginning.

Device: pw3, koa3
picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181017_151419730[1].jpg
Views:	248
Size:	905.2 KB