Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Amazon-purchased covers don't show on Paperwhite

Many of the covers for books I've purchased through Amazon don't display on my Paperwhite (7th gen), though they do in the iOS Kindle app. The cover of a book I purchased elsewhere and emailed to my Kindle shows up fine, as do covers of books emailed by Netgalley.

I've tried restarting the Paperwhite, and also switching from Grid View to List View and back again, and a few covers appeared, but not all. I have a little over 1.5 GB free and firmware 5.9.4.

Any tips to make these book covers show up?
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
They wont.... Just switch to Non-covers mode. Otherwise it will drive you crazy.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Redownload them, and leave the WiFi on for a bit. I've never had covers not show up, on several different Kindle models, Paperwhite included.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just bought a paperwhite and 1/2 the cover thumbnails would not show. I deregistered all my devices except for 2 then I reset and reregistered it and allowed it to wait a while connected to wifi, like 20 minutes. I turned off the screen time out by typing ~ds in the search field. After 20 minutes or more I scrolled thew my books and the covers reappeared or appeared as I downloaded them and I redownloaded my books slowly like one or 2 a a time and my thumbnails reappeared. It seems it needs to sit connected to wifi for a while before you download

Last edited by HLS; 03-11-2018 at 10:17 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've had my Paperwhites for a long time but I'm never used the Grid to show the book covers. To see what I have I turned to Grid. Yep, all my books showed covers. But, I only keep a few books on my Paperwhite. I had nine pages of covers. I switched to "All" and some covers were there and other were generics. I flipped through a few pages and all the older books were covers. I went back to the first page and the new books that had been generic covers were now showing the book covers.

Apparently, it take a bit to generate covers. If my Paperwhites are at home or at a usual haunt they're connected by WiFi.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I've had my Paperwhites for a long time but I'm never used the Grid to show the book covers. To see what I have I turned to Grid. Yep, all my books showed covers. But, I only keep a few books on my Paperwhite. I had nine pages of covers. I switched to "All" and some covers were there and other were generics. I flipped through a few pages and all the older books were covers. I went back to the first page and the new books that had been generic covers were now showing the book covers.

Apparently, it take a bit to generate covers. If my Paperwhites are at home or at a usual haunt they're connected by WiFi.

It is enough to drive one mad. Sometimes it corrects itself sometimes it takes days
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t usually use Grid View either, but as an experiment, I switched library to ALL, switched to Grid View, and then navigated to an arbitrary page (tap on the ‘mm of nn’ label in bottom right). Thumbnails appeared within a few seconds for that page and a few pages after that. No need to download the book.

But if an on device item does not have a thumbnail I don’t know if you can trigger download this way. Might be worth removing from device, then see if thumbnail appears in ALL view, then re-download (variation of what others have suggested).

There is some sort of cache for cover images, I would imagine cached images don’t get deleted until some threshold is reached - for example, if you’re running low on disk space, it might be expected to delete thumbnails for items which are no longer on device - but one would have to do some testing to confirm such rules. I’m not curious enough at the moment to undertake such unpaid testing.

In general, I think thumbnails can be generated on-device, even for side loaded items (if item includes a cover image that meets certain magic criteria). But my experiment suggests that downloading thumbnails from Amazon cloud can also happen.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I wish I could prevent thumbnails downloading. I've got no use for them
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Rule of thumb (pun intended) for Send-to-Kindle books:
Covers show when the book is downloaded as plain old mobi.
Covers don’t show when the book is downloaded in the newer kf8/azw3 format.
This has to do with a bug in the firmware that prevents the OS from generating thumbnails for KF8 books that come as Personal Documents (this bug has been present since the introduction of the format and will likely never be resolved since Amazon has introduced an even newer format, KFX, that, however, cannot be used for personal documents).

The appearance of covers for Personal documents can be influenced:
If you email a book as mobi, it will always generate a thumbnail cover.
If you email a book as an epub with the extension renamed to .txt, it will never generate a cover (but of course, enable some of the firmware features tied to that format like hyphenation).
The same goes for the Send to Kindle app on Mac and PC.

I know that this has nothing to do with the original problem per se, but could help in troubleshooting the issue (and can be used for further reference). For example, which format are the books that do not show covers? If azw3, your problem may have to do with the format. Since for azw3, covers are pulled from the servers (and the generate cover fallback is faulty), this may have an effect on their appearance on your Kindle.
Usually, it helps to wait. If that doesn’t work, often delete, reboot, reload will help. If that doesn’t work either, the only option is a firmware reset.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Why use the cover view when the list view allows you to see more books at one glance, at least on my PW2?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
abhisheknandi
abhisheknandi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.12.4 ( Basic model)
Kindle basic version doesn't show some thumbnails

Hi all,

Device # Kindle 5.12.4

Problem
========
..sideloaded books via calibre(diff formats)
..kindle was on airplane mode
..able to see the bookcovers
..next day, switched on WiFI and kindle did some syncing
..some of the bookcovers vanished, replaced by a small icon with a tiny envelope symbol
...next day repeated the process and loaded NEW set of books(2)
...no problem with covers with the 2nd set of books
..some of the bookcovers of 1st set are still missing

What I've tried
===========
Reboot kindle

Next step I'm going to try
====================
Identity those books with missing covers, delete them from kindle and load via calibre again

If anyone has any better solution, kindle share

Stay safe everyone.

Regards
abhisheknandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
abhisheknandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheknandi View Post
Hi all,

Device # Kindle 5.12.4

Problem
========
..sideloaded books via calibre(diff formats)
..kindle was on airplane mode
..able to see the bookcovers
..next day, switched on WiFI and kindle did some syncing
..some of the bookcovers vanished, replaced by a small icon with a tiny envelope symbol
...next day repeated the process and loaded NEW set of books(2)
...no problem with covers with the 2nd set of books
..some of the bookcovers of 1st set are still missing

What I've tried
===========
Reboot kindle

Next step I'm going to try
====================
Identity those books with missing covers, delete them from kindle and load via calibre again

If anyone has any better solution, kindle share

Stay safe everyone.

Regards
#Confirmed...happens only AFTER WIFI is turned on. The covers appear as expected till the wifi is turned on. Even without any refresh, poof...some of them disappear.
As if Kindle is trying to get add info about the book ( which I've not asked it to do) and fails to get the cover.
I've tried removing all metadata from the book and transfer a fresh copy but the same thing happens after wifi is turned ON.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #13
annpendragon
annpendragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Having the same wifi problem, covers don't show up

Hey abhisheknandi I'm having the same problem, I tried many different things to solve the problem, then I turned on airplane mode and downloaded the books again and the covers showed up normally, just like you said. I'm afraid to turn on WIFI again and have the same issue all over again... is there something I can do??
annpendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Redownload them, and leave the WiFi on for a bit. I've never had covers not show up, on several different Kindle models, Paperwhite included.

That's exactly the same thing I do.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
abhisheknandi

the covers will disappear when you switch on yhe wifi.
i dont know the solution yet. people are trying to find alternatives, talking to amazon etc.

let me know if you find a fix. I've tried different permutations without any success.
fresh transfer, transfer with wifi on ,metadata clean etc but nothing has worked so far.

Tags
covers not displaying, kindle, paperwhite