Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #61
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
Hello,

It is my first post here.

May I ask which Mark I should download to update my Kobo Aura?

Thanks.
Hi ma678,

the original Aura is Mark 5, the current one Mark 6.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #62
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hi all -- I cannot seem to side load this firmware to my original H20. I followed the usual procedure, but the device does not reboot and install the new firmware upon disconnect.

Also it does not update to the new firmware when connected to the Desktop app, or over the air.

Any idea why this is? I am definitely running the previous version, per the version numbers for firmware releases.

Also: I accidentally deleted the some stuff in the .kobo directory, including the sqlite database, the second time I tried to side load. The reader seems to be working okay (apparently the database rebuilds itself?) but I am wondering whether I should be doing a factory reset.

Any suggestions from the Wizards would be welcome.

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #63
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
The Mark5 update downloaded and installed in my Aura. Definitely feels faster.
How's the two-finger light adjustment work? Is it responsive and instantaneous? Does it ever "miss" requiring you to do a second swipe to detect it? Does it highlight words or turn pages while performing the adjustment?

These are all bugs I've noticed on all post-3.12.1 firmwares for the first generation Aura, and I would love it if they were finally fixed.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #64
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Yes, I'm seeing the same problems with the two finger light adjustment.

For me, the page turning while adjusting the light is new with this FW. I can minimise this by keeping to the centre of the screen for two finger swiping. This may be influenced by the very useful setting which disables tapping.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #65
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Yes, I'm seeing the same problems with the two finger light adjustment.
Thanks for the response.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
Hi all -- I cannot seem to side load this firmware to my original H20. I followed the usual procedure, but the device does not reboot and install the new firmware upon disconnect.
That almost definitely means you made a mistake when you copied the files to the device. Are they still there when you connected again?
Quote:

Also it does not update to the new firmware when connected to the Desktop app, or over the air.
As stated early in the thread, this is only being released to "Rakuten-affiliated devices". That means the affiliate has to be "rakutenbooks" for it to be downloaded.

Quote:
Any idea why this is? I am definitely running the previous version, per the version numbers for firmware releases.

Also: I accidentally deleted the some stuff in the .kobo directory, including the sqlite database, the second time I tried to side load. The reader seems to be working okay (apparently the database rebuilds itself?) but I am wondering whether I should be doing a factory reset.
The last time I removed the database from a Kobo device, it triggered the setup process. The sideloaded the books. That was a while ago, so maybe they have changed it somehow. They do tend to read the database and run on in-memory structure. It would be interesting to see if the file has been created. But, it is likely that if you power off and on, it won't find the database as it restarts and will prompt to do the setup then. I would recommend doing this. If the data survives, good, but if it does the setup, it's probably better to do it now than later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #67
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
follow-up

Thanks, David.

I must indeed have copied the files wrong.

I'm not sure what I deleted, but the reader went in to set up mode, and recreated the database. The reader seemed to work, but a whole bunch of old books that I deleted ages ago showed up again.

So I bit the bullet and reset everything. Didn't lose much, except for my custom fonts, which I will have to put back.

The firmware installed without a hitch after the reset.

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 AM   #68
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware 4.6.10075 has been released for Kobo Aura, affiliate rakutenbooks.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #69
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
That is the OTA update, I'm guessing.

Should it be any different (software wise, mind) than the link download?

Kindly yours,

Incanus
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
That is the OTA update, I'm guessing.

Should it be any different (software wise, mind) than the link download?
The links in the first post are exactly those that the firmware uses to download the update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #71
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The links in the first post are exactly those that the firmware uses to download the update.
Excellent.

Thanks!

Incanus
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:58 AM   #72
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Also Kobo Glo HD and Kobo Touch 2.0.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #73
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Installed it on my ol' Kobo Touch (Mark 3), and it is working satisfactorily.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #74
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Installed it on my ol' Kobo Touch (Mark 3), and it is working satisfactorily.
Did you have the 'black box around the page' bug? And if you did, is it solved now?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #75
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Did you have the 'black box around the page' bug? And if you did, is it solved now?
No, I did not find any 'black box around the page' defect on mark 3 Touch and mark 4 Glo. Images of both the devices are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2478.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	160301   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2479.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	160302  
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote