Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #481
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horemheb View Post
That's excellent for one. There are however books where it is not an option. Most people won't wait until it becomes available without DRM. Which is very well reflected by the success of Kindle, Nook and Kobo.
Last I checked they are still selling paper books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #482
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I'm not sure either, snipenekkid. I did read something about Amazon's problem being that Adobe's DRM servers wouldn't use whispernet, but I'm not clear on the details.

Also, in answer to something I read upthread, Amazon is neutral on adding DRM to books - the choice is left to the authors.

(This isn't to say I'm happy with all their choices. e.g., I kinda wish they'd sell and update the firmware to read epub, even if it would only work for non-DRM'd books.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #483
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
plus the number of those affected vs the general population...
Exactly.

People don't read.

As much as it sucks, we're not only in the minority, we're in an increasingly small minority. When I found out that there were people who loved the Lord of the Rings movies without knowing they were an adaptation of a series of books -- merely the most famous fantasy novels ever written -- well, a grown curmudgeon almost cried.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #484
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Exactly.

People don't read.

As much as it sucks, we're not only in the minority, we're in an increasingly small minority. When I found out that there were people who loved the Lord of the Rings movies without knowing they were an adaptation of a series of books -- merely the most famous fantasy novels ever written -- well, a grown curmudgeon almost cried.
My eyes are tearing-up right now just reading that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #485
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
that is sad
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #486
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

if it helps I never could make it through The Hobbit, LOTR or any of the versions of the book to even get to the real story. And since I just did not get it way back when I now have sort of a block whenever I even consider trying again.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #487
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
if it helps I never could make it through The Hobbit, LOTR or any of the versions of the book to even get to the real story. And since I just did not get it way back when I now have sort of a block whenever I even consider trying again.
I don't think it matters if one's read it - what matters is knowing it's the movie of a book.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #488
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i read the whole series through once, and i am never going back
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #489
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i read the whole series through once, and i am never going back
I have read LOTR over 12 times. The Hobbit about 3 and the The Silmarillion about 3. I just love it.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #490
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Not true. You can use Adept (Adobe DRM) on the same device as MOBI DRM (if Amazon allowed it). Adobe has nothing to fear because it is the de facto standard for epub.
But wouldn't that be like having both malaria and pneumonia at the same time?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #491
Horemheb
Connoisseur
Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Last I checked they are still selling paper books.
A retrograde fallback plan in case of a problem is never a good solution. Ralph Nader could have said that why bother with cars, still there are horses or bikes.

Also I know people who will never again buy paper books (I myself would not go that far at least for now, but for sure this approach will become more popular). In their cases it is certain that they will read books in digital format. The only question whether they will and/or CAN pay for the digital version (Harry Potter cannot be paid for in this form -> they did not pay - but read anyway).

Last edited by Horemheb; 03-05-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Horemheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #492
wyndslash
Wizard

Well, my hope is that all paperbooks can eventually have a corresponding digital version. It'd be sad if some texts got lost this way, though for sure there will be collectors
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #493
Horemheb
Connoisseur
Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
As much as it sucks, we're not only in the minority, we're in an increasingly small minority.
Even so we are talking about millions of people. If publishers and booksellers are able to gouge millions of people there must be mostly one reason: these millions of people let them.
Horemheb is offline   Reply With Quote