Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
St3ve
St3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSt3ve can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo touch
Freezing unless USB plugged in.

Hello All,

My apologies if I have done incorrectly, but I have looked around and can't find others experiencing the same problem so I thought I'd start a fresh thread.

I have recently purchased a kobo touch after having a long term loan of a first gen kindle come to an end. I use Calibre for storing and converting my books. The kindle (with many epubs on it converted to mobi) ran without problem, the Kobo, not so.

Irrespective of whether there are 6 books or 400 on the kobo, the device will freeze for approximately 2 minutes every 6 or 7 pages of reading. After the 2 mins, it will again allow 6 - 7 pages before another 2 minute freeze. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating.

I have performed numerous resets to the device, installed the offical latest update from kobo and performed all manner of file deletion options mentioned on various forums, all of which haven't worked.

However, if the device is connected via usb to a pc and I select 'cancel' in terms of connecting the device, I can read without interruption and the device performs as you would expect.

It's frustrating to have a portable reading device and have to sit within a meter of a computer!

I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and if anyone had any suggestions to help?

Many thanks

St3ve
St3ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Assuming you've tried a full factory reset, I'd be taking the device back to exchange for a new one. That's not normal behaviour.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
My only other suggestion would be try a different book. That sounds like it could be an oversized book that needs to be split up. Otherwise a return is in order as that isn't normal.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Further on what robko said: it is possible that the book/s in question are internally composed of one long html file. The ereader rendering engine has to load the whole section in memory to display it.

This is easy to fix -- just convert the book with calibre (epub to epub) and it will automatically be optimized, splitting it into more individual chunks that are easier to handle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Those all sound like sage advice, but I'll be darned if I can figure out why leaving the USB cable plugged in keeps it from locking up... I'd almost suspect there was a power related issue or that the firmware is operating differently because it's still plugged in and charging. Very weird.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
freeze, hanging, help please, touch, usb connection