Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #271
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Really?Really?
Silicon foundry makes the flash chip and sells it to package manufacturer who wraps it in plastic and metal and sells to Kindle ereader assembler.
And because much smaller quantities are produced, it is much more expensive than the SD solution
He's comparing a commercially available card vs a discrete IC chip.

This:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...02117706&psc=1

Versus something like this:

https://benselectronics.nl/uln-2003-uln2003-ic/

Bare ICs are a lot cheaper than memory cards which is why practically everybody doing readers uses ICs.

The one time a flash card might be cheaper than an industrial IC is if they are from a rejected lot. But I wouldn't accuse Kobo of that. (Mind you, a lot of samples from a rejected lot are fine but are suspect of failing under stress. It isn't good practice to foist rejects like those on customers.)

Most likely the board uses flash cards (and takes the got from the internal connector cost) to be used in different models with different capacities, often with different names.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #272
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Remember, Thailand's Mother's Day is not until mid-August.

Well dang... I guess I'll have to stop worrying over a reader that I'm not going to buy anyhow. Kobo is taking all the fun out of guessing when an unannounced eReader is going to be released. They're harshing my vibe.

Now GoodEReader is saying the Kobo Nia (available for a $148 ("on sale") preorder price with $20 shipping, i.e., the same price I can pay for a Libra H2O that would be delivered day after tomorrow) will be "available" on July 21st. Earlier "availability" times were July 8th, July 10th, and (I believe) July 15th. So it looks like their guess on the release date(s) were (and are) as good as mine. (Which is to say, they were worthless. And geeze, what a convoluted sentence.)

Next week! For sure!!*

*...maybe
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #273
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
New topic rank which do you care about least to most:

The Kobo Nia, Kobo announcing the Kobo Nia, and the price of rice in the Antarctic.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #274
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

The Kobo Nia, Kobo announcing the Kobo Nia, and the price of rice in the Antarctic.
The cool thing about VBulletin forums is that you can choose to ignore threads that don't interest you. They won't even show up to tempt you.

Just choose the Thread Tools drop down and choose "Ignore this Thread." Voila', it's dead to you! No muss, no fuss!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #275
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The cool thing about VBulletin forums is that you can choose to ignore threads that don't interest you. They won't even show up to tempt you.

Just choose the Thread Tools drop down and choose "Ignore this Thread." Voila', it's dead to you! No muss, no fuss!
T'was more of a joke since the appeal of the Nia and the anticipation of its launch would seem to have dwindled quite significantly.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #276
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
T'was more of a joke since the appeal of the Nia and the anticipation of its launch would seem to have dwindled quite significantly.
This thread is kind of becoming a joke on me. I keep predicting the release of the Nia and Kobo keeps laughing at me. But I'm committed to it... right to the bitter end. (If there ever is an end.)
Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #277
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Steamed Rice makes a good companion for chilli.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #278
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This thread is kind of becoming a joke on me. I keep predicting the release of the Nia and Kobo keeps laughing at me. But I'm committed to it... right to the bitter end. (If there ever is an end.)
Don't fret.
The Nia will one day arrive and you'll be the only person left here to notice and you'll laugh and laugh and be the first kid on the block with one.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #279
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Don't fret.
The Nia will one day arrive and you'll be the only person left here to notice and you'll laugh and laugh and be the first kid on the block with one.
That's the thing, I don't even want one (I've already got an Aura 2, which is basically the same thing). I just wanted to try to predict its release date, but they've gotten sneakier. Maybe they're going to release an updated version of the Clara or Forma at the same time and they're waiting on that.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #280
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Kobo posted a short video on YouTube today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9eRRBVVCE

From what I see on the Kobo web site, compared to the Clara, it has a lower resolution screen, doesn't have color adjustable lighting, and it sells for $20 cheaper. Is that the only reason this products exists - to hit the $100 price point?
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #281
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post

From what I see on the Kobo web site, compared to the Clara, it has a lower resolution screen, doesn't have color adjustable lighting, and it sells for $20 cheaper. Is that the only reason this products exists - to hit the $100 price point?
It would seem so. It’s Kobos answer to the kindle basic.

Nothing to be excited about. Chances are whatever ereader you have now matches or exceeds the Nia in terms of features. Might be a good gift for someone who’s not yet on the ereader train.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #282
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

Ah, thanks! Finally, the Kobo and Tolino line-ups match (hardware-wise anyhow). Did Kobo actually announce anything today, or did they just put it up on their website and upload the video to YouTube? I wonder if there will be a cheaper "Walmart edition?"
Old 07-15-2020, 03:05 AM   #283
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

I've received today the Spanish ad from FNAC and, according to it, it has Comfort Light, so I guess that's adjustable lightning.

Edit: But only one color, the ad wasn't complete.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 07-15-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:07 AM   #284
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It appears to be called the 'kobonia'
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:27 AM   #285
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've received today the Spanish ad from FNAC and, according to it, it has Comfort Light, so I guess that's adjustable lightning.

Edit: But only one color, the ad wasn't complete.
"Comfort Light" (in Kobo speak) just means front-lit. Comfort Light Pro means "warm light." My Aura Edition 2 also has a "Comfort Light."

I just realized the Aura 2 had an infrared touch screen where the Nia has a capacitive touch screen. I guess that's better or worse depending on your viewpoint.