Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
K3 WiFi and mobile hotspots

Anyone tried making a WiFi connection on their Kindle 3 with a mobile hotspot - such as offered on some cell phones and/or on one of the so-called MiFi devices?

Thx!
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
[QUOTE=goggin;1107329]Anyone tried making a WiFi connection on their Kindle 3 with a mobile hotspot - such as offered on some cell phones and/or on one of the so-called MiFi devices?

I bought a MiFi 2352 with a prepaid card for my iPad( wifi only); it also is able to connect with the Kindle without any trouble at all.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Kindle doesn't do adhoc mode WiFi so if the phone does that then it won't work. The MiFi should be fine as generally they all act like a proper access point.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I bought a MiFi 2352 with a prepaid card for my iPad( wifi only); it also is able to connect with the Kindle without any trouble at all.
thx! very helpful
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
goggin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Kindle doesn't do adhoc mode WiFi so if the phone does that then it won't work. The MiFi should be fine as generally they all act like a proper access point.
I've heard that. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried it, though. Sometimes things turn out different than expected.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
I've heard that. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried it, though. Sometimes things turn out different than expected.
Yup. People have tried and the Kindle doesn't see ad hoc WiFi networks at all. Infrastructure or nothing I'm afraid.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just tried it with my cell phone (which my laptop can connect to) but it didn't work. I though it would but it didn't. I guess AT&T wants to keep me on *it's* 3G network and not someone else's.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
A friend of mine here in the UK has a "3" MiFi thingie. The Kindle connects to that absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
goggin
Enthusiast

Thanks to Tiersten, daffy4u, HarryT, and desertblues....that's the info I was looking for

Last edited by goggin; 09-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scratch my original reply, I just tired it again and my K3 is using the wifi from my PalmPre. I didn't do anything differently but it's working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre.gif
Views:	365
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	58139  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Scratch my original reply, I just tired it again and my K3 is using the wifi from my PalmPre. I didn't do anything differently but it's working.
Yeah. The Mobile Hotspot app on a Palm Pre creates a proper infrastructure network and not adhoc.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yeah. The Mobile Hotspot app on a Palm Pre creates a proper infrastructure network and not adhoc.
It's weird that it didn't work the first time. So for goggin a phone with Mobile Hotspot capability will work.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's weird that it didn't work the first time.
Not sure. I think there might be something weird about registering a new WiFi network on the Kindle. When my brother came around with his Kindle, it took me 3 attempts to get the key entered and I'm certain I got it right each time. I've seen other people mention that it sometimes takes a few attempts. Once it has been entered, it seems to be rock solid though.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Not sure. I think there might be something weird about registering a new WiFi network on the Kindle. When my brother came around with his Kindle, it took me 3 attempts to get the key entered and I'm certain I got it right each time. I've seen other people mention that it sometimes takes a few attempts. Once it has been entered, it seems to be rock solid though.
My Kindle saw the MIFI right away after I told it to forget the one from my router.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
My Kindle saw the MIFI right away after I told it to forget the one from my router.
Mine saw both my router and my Pre. I went through the whole routine of typing in my password but it would not connect to the Pre. I canceled out and went back to the router wifi. I did some other stuff then decided I would try to set it up manually but after adding my password the second time, it connected to the Pre just fine. I tested it by going to the Kindle store and all was well.