View Poll Results: Nook vs Kindle 3
Nook 121 52.84%
Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #76
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
Two reasons I bought my Nook over other readers?

1) I can download library books for free
2) It has the option of an EXTRA EXTRA large font
The Kindle 3 offers more large font options than the Nook.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #77
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I had a Nook as my first e-reader. I really loved the device. That said, I now have a Kindle 3. The Nook screen broke, the bottom left corner has a frozen image on it and there are horizontal and vertical "white" lines that cover the screen making reading impossible. I played with a K3 in Best Buy and it was a no brainer (they had Kindles, Nooks, and Sonys right there and the glare on the Sony screen was a deal-breaker).

A few things I disliked about the Nook now that I compare it to the K3 would be:

Size, I like the smaller form factor of the K3, (especially how thin the thing is) without losing screen size!

Weight, the K3 is just plain crazy light. The Nook feels like a brick in comparison.

Screen contrast really is noticeably better on the K3.

Page turn is much much faster on the K3; the Nook flashes a bit too much for my liking. The Kindle pages turn faster than I turn pages in a paper book.

Battery life is just plain amazing. I sideload all of my books so I got the Wi-Fi only version and leave it turned off. It really does last a month on a charge with Wi-Fi off.

The touchscreen of the Nook was killer, but honestly I didn't swipe all that much, I used the side buttons so no change there.

File format support is negligible for me, I don't get books from the library so Epub means nothing to me. If I get a book in Epub I'll just spend 15 seconds or so converting it for free to .mobi in Calibre.

B&N includes Google free books in it's claim about available books, as for store bought, Amazon has more books available than strictly B&N books.

The K3 has Text to Speech so it'll read the book to me if I so desire.

Purely visual but I like graphite better than white.

My Nook had a habit of every so often, during a page turn, it would flash for like three or four seconds before actually displaying the page. Not very common but kills my pace when I'm reading.

The Nook has an SD slot which is awesome but honestly, I can put 3,500 books on my K3. If I need more than that, I'll just remove some books. Me personally, 3,500 books is WAY more than enough. I have an mp3 player for music and audiobooks.

Kindle 3 support file organization (I think the newest Nook update includes this though) and text searching of books. It also comes with two full dictionaries pre-loaded.

One thing I do dislike about the Kindle 3 is it does not use page numbers.

Both are awesome devices but I think, from owning and using both devices, the Kindle 3 is hands down better.

Last edited by Grimm; 10-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #78
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I bought Kindle 3 but just saw B&N PanDigital

I bought Kindle 3 but just saw B&N PanDigital introduced on QVC. I still lean toward Kindle 3. Both are WiFi. Kindle has hard keyboard versus B&N with virtual keyboard.

My "old" Sony PRS 900 also had a virtual keyboard but had reflections when under light. The Kindle is reflection free.

The B&N PanDigital has color screen.

So far I'm sticking to my Kindle 3. I simply cannot afford to buy a Sony PRS 900 in December, a Kindle the following August and now a B&N the following October.

I'm still reading the same 2 books I've had for the last 2 months.

Here is the link:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/a...RCH.cm_ssi.TSV

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #79
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I bought Kindle 3 but just saw B&N PanDigital introduced on QVC. I still lean toward Kindle 3. Both are WiFi. Kindle has hard keyboard versus B&N with virtual keyboard.

My "old" Sony PRS 900 also had a virtual keyboard but had reflections when under light. The Kindle is reflection free.

The B&N PanDigital has color screen.

So far I'm sticking to my Kindle 3. I simply cannot afford to buy a Sony PRS 900 in December, a Kindle the following August and now a B&N the following October.

I'm still reading the same 2 books I've had for the last 2 months.

Here is the link:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/a...RCH.cm_ssi.TSV
I hope the B&N announcement Tuesday isn't for the PanDigital. Check out this review of it. Oy!
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #80
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
B&N also allows their DRM to work on the Jetbook Lite. This has nothing to do with the nook color.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #81
rc748
rc748 began at the beginning.

Device: Coby Kyros MID7015
Nook Color is where most people are leaning towards

After reading the review here and checking out the poll at http://nookvskindle.info, it seems like everyone is gravitating towards the Nook Color. From comments I have read on several blogs, several ereader owners say they would have purchased the Nook color if available when they purchased their unit, while others said they preferred the Nook Color, but could or wouldn't pay the additional $100.

I for one, am not convinced whether the color is worth the additional $100.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I was going to buy Nook definitely but Kindle 3 is just announced and my mind is confused right now.

I am reading lots of blogs everyday. I know that Trook can read rss feeds but I dont know how. Is it convenient or not? I'm using Google Reader a lot. It would be very nice to have Google Reader program on the nook. As I have learnt from the internet, I can use web browser or Calibre to convert rss feeds to e-book.

Can you compare Nook vs Kindle 3? The most important factor is rss reading. And I really like the opennes of the nook because it has Android OS. I have Nexus One and I really like it. I chose it over iPhone and I am very happy with it.

Is the new screen of the Kindle that important? Is it that good?

Thank you all.
rc748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #82
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc748 View Post
After reading the review here and checking out the poll at http://nookvskindle.info, it seems like everyone is gravitating towards the Nook Color. From comments I have read on several blogs, several ereader owners say they would have purchased the Nook color if available when they purchased their unit, while others said they preferred the Nook Color, but could or wouldn't pay the additional $100.

I for one, am not convinced whether the color is worth the additional $100.

Just my $0.02 worth.
If you are not convinced that the NC is worth the $100, then hang on to what you have and let the rest of us enjoy what we have. No one is gonna try to pry that $100 out of your hands.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #83
tasomaniac
tasomaniac began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am very happy with the e-ink screen of my Kindle 3. I am not sure you get the same result with the screen of Nook Color. It is only an LCD screen. I am reading books with my Kindle for long hours. I guess you cannot do it with Nook Color.
tasomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #84
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What one can read and for how long they can read depends on the person. I have no problems with reading for long periods of time on my NC. If it gets too bright, I can just turn it down. What I like is that I can take it to bed with me and don't have to worry about having another light on or having a booklight attached to it. As I have been saying for a while. To each his own.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #85
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
For this being the Nook forum, a lot of people voted Kindle. I just ordered a refurbished Nook from overstock for 80 bucks as my first e-reader, should arrive Monday. Did I mess up?
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #86
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
For this being the Nook forum, a lot of people voted Kindle. I just ordered a refurbished Nook from overstock for 80 bucks as my first e-reader, should arrive Monday. Did I mess up?
I don't think you messed up. Of course your needs may be different to someone else's, but I think the Nook is a really good device. Not perfect, but then neither is the Kindle!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #87
jersysman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Just because this is the Nook forum, it does not exclude anyone of the MobileRead forum from coming and voting on any poll. The Nook is a great device, as you will find out for yourself.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #88
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
i love my kindle as my parner can now listen to the menu and pick books insted of having help. he is blind so up till getting our kindle 3 he could only listen to his book with help so we upgraded from a kindle 2 last week;

he can now pick his book, thank you amazon for given him this
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #89
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the new kindle 3 isn't anything revolutinary, It took the Kindle out from the fields and gave it a shower and put it in a suit. Still basicall they device.

The Nook IMHO is still a better overall e-reading experience with the color touchscreen and the Barnes and Noble InStore experience. and oh yeah E-PUB
it has talking menu s now great for people who cant see or read. and it has been enhanced so if u are visule impaired its great
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #90
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I am very happy with the e-ink screen of my Kindle 3. I am not sure you get the same result with the screen of Nook Color. It is only an LCD screen. I am reading books with my Kindle for long hours. I guess you cannot do it with Nook Color.
Guess again.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote