Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #166
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I too stumbled over MobileRead when googling. I was trying to find out about the availability or otherwise of the Kobo Touch in Australia, fairly soon after it came out in Canada and the US, and up came a thread on that very subject.

After reading what others had to say, I took the plunge and ordered one from Borders in the US. Within days it was announced that they were closing and I thought I had "done my dough", but after a very long time travelling here, possibly by tortoise, my Kobo Touch arrived safely.

And I have been enjoying being a part of the MobileRead community ever since. I'm enjoying my Kobo Touch too, though not too keen on their latest upgrade, like so many others.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #167
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
I found MobileRead after Googling eBook DRM. This led me to Apprentice Alf & his wonderful B & D dust busting tools & consequently Calibre. I then followed the trail of cookie crumbs here.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #168
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
My first visit was due to an accident. I tried an ereader in the beginning of 2008, and accidentally formatted it's main drive, wiping the system files. Searching for a solution I landed here and was helped out beautifully. Sold the reader shortly afterward because of lack of available books (for me). Much has changed in 4 years, so I'm back now, owning a Kindle Touch.

To my regret I did see that, somewhere in 2008, I received a personal message from another user, asking for those same system files. As I didn't own a reader after selling the Cybook, I never visited and never saw the message since two days ago. Sorry that I couldn't help...

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #169
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Google and then MR to the rescue! I got a Kobo Vox tablet and knew NOTHING about Android. Now thanks to the advice and help of posters in these forums, I know a whole lot more and can sometimes help others in turn!
Thanks to all the generous posters on this site that give prompt and valuable tips to newbies!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #170
lostmymarbles
Hunger Games Survivor
lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kindle
Found out about mobileread while browsing the web. Google is probably your best friend.
lostmymarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #171
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How many of you were pushed into electronic reading? One day my mrs came back up from the basement, where I keep my extensive library and she read me the riot act "get yourself into electronic book reading or we are going to be forced out of the house by your library. Electronic books take up a lot less space then these books do!" She exclaimed, after a bit of research I started with a Kindle three. Found Goodreads one day when I was attempting to enter google.com in the location bar and did not type it quite right. Funny way to make the acquaintance of the web site but that's the way it happened.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #172
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How many of you were pushed into electronic reading? One day my mrs came back up from the basement, where I keep my extensive library and she read me the riot act "get yourself into electronic book reading or we are going to be forced out of the house by your library. Electronic books take up a lot less space then these books do!" She exclaimed, after a bit of research I started with a Kindle three. Found Goodreads one day when I was attempting to enter google.com in the location bar and did not type it quite right. Funny way to make the acquaintance of the web site but that's the way it happened.
I found my way here via the Harvard Classics. I was looking for them online and found my way to the mobipocket files that they posted as and the rest is history.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #173
poetrywmn
poetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it ispoetrywmn knows what time it is

Device: Nook Color; HTC Flyer; iPad2
I happened upon MobileRead when performing a web search through Google in hopes of finding an Oberon cover that would fit my new HTC Flyer. Perused the site and found it to be much better than other forums I had visited. Posted an ad in the Trade/Barter/Sell section, connected with a great seller and person, and wound up with a very pleasant transaction and a beautiful Oberon cover~doesn't get better than that! I haven't posted very much, but I love reading all the new tech information and discussions by the very knowledgable people on this forum.
poetrywmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #174
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I found MobileRead by googling for information about e-books and e-readers. I have been reading for several months, even before registering, because of all the deals and freebies that I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #175
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I found mobileread when i was playing with a friends jailbroken iphone, and decided to google for a kindle jailbreak just for fun.. 2 clicks later, found mobileread.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #176
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I really discovered ebooks when reading a thread in a forum on eBay where they were discussing their new Kindle. Thus followed an absorbing search with my Friend Google and somehow Mobileread came up. I learnt so much here, but particularly what interested me was that ePubs (for borrowing from libraries) needed a different device. Now I've had my Kobo Touch for about a month and it's hardly out of my hands. And I've got a new Forum - this one. It's addictive.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #177
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
I found the group by asking google. So, I guess you could say "pure luck"

I was reading Jane Eyre as an actual book which wasn't the easiest to read. I dl it onto my phone jsut to see what it would be like. I loved it!! The text was so clear and easy to read. So, the next step was, of course, a reader or small tablet. This was right around the time the Nexus7 came out. So, that was what I had to buy.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #178
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
It was a segue from a conversation in Macrumors about reading books on laptops and desktops. One of the comments mentioned getting ebooks on Mobileread.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #179
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
I was interested in e-readers since a colleague showed me his Sony 550, but then I chose a PB 602.
Since PB linked MR as the official support site I'm here now
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #180
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I found this site after googling information about eink readers after purchasing my PRS-505... or was it while researching eink readers before making my purchase? I can't remember!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote