Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Jazradel
Jazradel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Questions about the PRS-300

I have a few questions about the PRS-300 from my mum (who's not confident enough with computers to ask herself).

1. How good is the pdf handling? I believe she is asking specifically in regards to reformatting medical journals for the smaller screen.

2. How well does the prop up reading light on the cover work (the one you have to buy)?

3. Is there any way to buy one in Australia? (I'm fairly sure the answer is no).

I actually have the 505, so comparisons to that (and the extra cover) are welcome.

Last edited by Jazradel; 03-03-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Remembered the third question.
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazradel View Post
I have a few questions about the PRS-300 from my mum (who's not confident enough with computers to ask herself).

1. How good is the pdf handling? I believe she is asking specifically in regards to reformatting medical journals for the smaller screen.

2. I've totally forgotten... I'll get back on this one.

3. Is there any way to buy one in Australia? (I'm fairly sure the answer is no).

Hi Jazradel

1. Probably not too good due to small screen. My PRS-900 handles reflow really well, I'm not sure how PRS-300 handles it.
3. Look up B&H Photo on the internet. It's a US based web shop, they ship internationally. I just bought a PRS-300 for my sis-in-law in Melbourne. Delivery is about 62 USD UPS - got there within a week. The price was 186 USD or thereabouts, which is very good. If you're not fussed with colour (I bough the pink one), the price could be even lower.
You may be able to buy one in Oz (google it "Sony PRS-300 site:.au"), but the price wise it's probably cheaper to get it from the US.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
RachaelJ
RachaelJ began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
Hi I just got one of these yesterday. I put a PDF on it and although it displayed it was too tiny to read (I have quite good eyesight but would need to use a magnifying glass). You can make the writing bigger but I had tables and diagrams on it and it didn't look right.Hope this helps.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
PDF's are not very good on most ebook readers. On the 'small' setting it will look like it does on a computer but the print will be very small as it has to fit to a 5" screen. If it is a text based PDF, moving to the 'medium' and 'large' settings will enable reflow but charts and graphs will probably lose all formatting. If the PDF is not text based then they only size option will be 'small'. The 300 does not have a zoom feature for reading PDF files.

Conclusion, a 5" or 6" device is not ideal for reading PDF's. Either find a larger screen or wait for the new crop of ebook readers that are rumored to arrive later this year.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Jazradel
Jazradel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I remembered the second question. It was about the optional cover w/ reading light.

Thanks for the answers about pdf reflow, and especially about B&H Photo. I'll try to get an example journal and see what it looks like when I shrink it down to 5".
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I tried the case/light combo, and it was just too dim for me. I returned it, and got the other Sony case without the light. I liked the fact it was also a smaller form factor, and therefore the reader would still fit in a coat pocket or cargo pant/shorts pocket.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
So, if one has a PRS505, is there any advantage to getting a PRS300?

Someone mentioned the lack of zoom in PRS300, I think that already detracts greatly from the list of possible advantages.

Since if you have zoom, you can read any PDF of any formatting by sizing the page.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The only differences between the 505 and 300 is the smaller form factor and the 300 does not have SD/ProDuo card slots

I know the 600 and 900 have zoom and not sure about the 700. Zoom will work for the entire page. If your zoom makes the page larger than will fit on the screen, there are arrows that will pan left/right/up/down to see the parts that do not show on the screen. Also, once you turn a page it will revert back to its original size.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazradel View Post
2. How well does the prop up reading light on the cover work (the one you have to buy)?
I have this cover and find it to be just right. The light stays exactly where you put it and I find it plenty bright enough. In order to ensure that the light stays bright enough, I use a rechargeable battery and top up the charge once I notice the light level starts to dim (about once a week or so).
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
yea, basically once you have page zoom feature, there is no reason to worry about readability people.

Reflow is just an attempt to reformat all the tables of the paragraphs such that everything is organized into a single vertical column. But the best any reflow technique can do is GUESS at which article is supposed to be where and in what order.

I would recommend using zoom so that you have complete control over your reading experience.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
I have this cover and find it to be just right. The light stays exactly where you put it and I find it plenty bright enough. In order to ensure that the light stays bright enough, I use a rechargeable battery and top up the charge once I notice the light level starts to dim (about once a week or so).
I agree with Croptop. In order to get the best results, make sure you change the battery at least once a week (if you are a heavy reader). A fresh battery makes a big difference.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote