Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
raphaelnonsenso
Enthusiast
raphaelnonsenso doesn't litterraphaelnonsenso doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch, K3
Films that were better than the books

We are all used to being disappointed with the film version of a book. The last big screen version of The Count of Monte Cristo was sooooo wide of the mark, it beggared belief.

So, my question is; Which Film(s) do you think were an improvement on their respective novels?

I'll start it off with The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Raphael
raphaelnonsenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I"ve not yet come across a film that is an improvement on the book, but I do know one mini-series: Shogun by James Clavell.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't think there are any if you are talking about books being made into movies, the opposite way around though Movies/Scripts that are "novelized" are sometimes horrible novels. --- Star Wars perhaps etc...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
"The Godfather" (I and II) are very close to the book and, in my opinion, excellent movies.
"Alive", the 1993 movie based on Piers Paul Read book (the story of the people who survived in the Andes after their plane crashed and rescue parties had given up hope of finding them), is also very good.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
"The Bourne Identity". Robert Ludlum is so melodramatic. His idea was obviously a good one though.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
One that comes to mind the The Third Man, by Graham Greene. (But it might now count because I think Greene wrote the book specifically with the screenplay in mind.)

Another is perhaps the Alfred Hitchcock version of The Lady Vanishes, which was based on The Wheel Spins by Ethel Lina White.

Off-hand I can't think of any others.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
One that comes to mind the The Third Man, by Graham Greene. (But it might now count because I think Greene wrote the book specifically with the screenplay in mind.)

Another is perhaps the Alfred Hitchcock version of The Lady Vanishes, which was based on The Wheel Spins by Ethel Lina White.

Off-hand I can't think of any others.
That's the feeling I from all of Michael Criterion's work after Andromeda Strain...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
"Jaws". There was a relationship in the book that was not in the movie because it did nothing for the story. This is the only case where *I've* found the movie was better.

Now, "The Exorcist" was scary whether you read it or watched it on film.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Moby Dick', '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', 'The Turn of the Screw', and the last few Harry Potters (also, possibly 'Jarhead' - but I haven't seen the movie yet).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure I think they're better overall, but there are definitely certain aspects of The Lord of the Rings trilogy that are better in the movie than in the book (no Tom Bombadil or Glorfindel...)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I'm not sure I think they're better overall, but there are definitely certain aspects of The Lord of the Rings trilogy that are better in the movie than in the book (no Tom Bombadil or Glorfindel...)
I agree with you. While I find the books better overall, I thought the fighting scenes from "The Two Towers" (the movie) were excellent, whereas I couldn't really get into them in the book. This is coming from a person who really does not like fighting / war scenes in general.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I agree with you. While I find the books better overall, I thought the fighting scenes from "The Two Towers" (the movie) were excellent, whereas I couldn't really get into them in the book. This is coming from a person who really does not like fighting / war scenes in general.
Yes, there is no surfing-down-stairs elves in the book. Such a shame.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Blade Runner. The Terminator.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'll go out on a limb and say The Postman and The Last of the Mohicans.

Also, Star Wars. But that's because George Lucas writes terribly.

I'll also throw in Marley and Me. Mostly because it makes me cry =)

Last edited by jaxx6166; 11-04-2009 at 08:59 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
In my humble opinion ---

James Hilton's "Lost Horizon". The story in the novel was muddied and weakened by the device of "this is a story someone told someone who told me". The 1937 movie used straightforward story telling and "show don't tell" and the photography was so atmospheric.

C S Lewis's "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". The book was thinner in characterisation and atmosphere than the 2005 movie. The opening scenes of the London bombings and the children being sent from the city...ahh. And the witch - so sexy!

Is it cheating to add "Cabaret" based on Isherwood's "Berlin Stories"?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote