Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, actually she IS just a 'chat show hostess'. Not all people listen to what she has to say.
Indeed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since Amazon also sells the Sony and both the Sony and Kindle have been in her magazine, she could talk about one or both. I think it will be the Kindle but I since I'm not psychic (hence the "Speculation" title), I chose to leave the possibility open.

Tomorrow will tell. Since it's supposed to be a live broadcast, folks on the East Coast should know first.
Amazon doesn't actually sell the Sony themselves. Amazon sellers do. I don't think they'd give that kind of front-page real estate for something they weren't selling themselves.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Amazon doesn't actually sell the Sony themselves. Amazon sellers do. I don't think they'd give that kind of front-page real estate for something they weren't selling themselves.
In that case, I stand corrected. If she's not showing the Kindle, I don't have another guess as to what the "gadget" would be.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I will admit she is a very powerful woman. Just not one I admire.
Many people seem to be influenced by celebrities for no reason other than they are famous. There are very few celebs that I would want to model my life after actually. Sure, I'd be nice to have their money... but...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I wanna be like Oprah!!! I will buy Kindle.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Oprah has a lot on influence worldwide.
No, really?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Well in the US she is not just some chat show hostess. People for whatever reason listen to her. She has a lot of power. She time and again takes a nobody ever heard of writer and instantly turns them into a New York Times bestselling writer. Kindle sales will rise even more by a lot.
Oh I listen to her. I find out what she thinks is good and stay away from it. There are others who feel the same way. So she'd be best not peddling the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh I listen to her. I find out what she thinks is good and stay away from it. So if she peddles the Kindle, that's going to be a no go and something I'll have to tell people not to get.
Like you need an excuse.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Books that celebs are photographed holding or reading can become best sellers for no other reason then some celebrity has it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
No, really?
Yes.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Oh I listen to her. I find out what she thinks is good and stay away from it. There are others who feel the same way. So she'd be best not peddling the Kindle.
You dislike her so much that you think everything she likes must be horrible? She put the 505 in O magazine awhile back so I guess you better get rid of it ASAP. I hear she likes golden retriever puppies, too. That's ok. More puppies for me!

Personally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to her. I admire her charity work. I find her hordes of screaming fans a bit off-putting. I certainly wouldn't decide not to like something good simply because she does, too.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Books that celebs are photographed holding or reading can become best sellers for no other reason then some celebrity has it.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I tend not to like the books she selects for her book clubs because they are not my style but the uptick in sales she generates probably make most authors happy (for the additional readers and additional money).
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I tend not to like the books she selects for her book clubs because they are not my style but the uptick in sales she generates probably make most authors happy (for the additional readers and additional money).
I just found the complete list here. There's some good stuff on there. Sure, a lot of it's not to my taste but it's not all junk.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #29
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't decide not to like something good simply because she does, too.
Absolutely.

(Then again, I wouldn't generally even know what she likes )
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I just found the complete list here. There's some good stuff on there. Sure, a lot of it's not to my taste but it's not all junk.
I don't think any of them are junk (I didn't mean to imply they were). My favorite genre is murder mysteries and the books she selects are usually deeper than I want to go for entertainment.

I did listen to the audiobook of "The Corrections". Didn't like it.

She did a whole show on Steinbeck in Monterey when "East of Eden was the choice. I didn't buy the book then but it is now in line on my Kindle.

Even though I'm not interested in the books, if I happen to catch the show when she has the author join in on a discussion with book club readers, I usually find it interesting.

Tags
amazon, bezos, eink, kindle, oprah