Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you spend more time with your tablet or your laptop?
Tablet 37 35.58%
Laptop 59 56.73%
About the same 8 7.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What's a laptop?

I use my desktop for programming, and my tablet for everything else.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Same as DiapDealer, I'm a programmer so I send most of my time on my desktop, which is a 27 inch iMac.

However, my tablet has pretty much taken the place of my personal laptop. Before I got my iPad Pro, I carried my laptop with me everywhere. Now I pretty much use my iPad Pro for anything that I use to use a laptop for. Certainly for the purposes of this forum (i.e. ebooks), I do all my reading on my tablet. Of course, I did that before i got the pro, it's just now I also do my email and web browsing on it as well. I also use it to take notes in meetings and manage my todo list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I use my tablets far more often than my Chromebook.

*My main computer is a desk top.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #19
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Definitely my laptop. I only use my tablet to read manga on...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Is the question related to where one reads books on? Or just what device one used to do computer stuff on.

For computer stuff I prefer my desktop. Otherwise I use my laptop. I don't use tablets much for anything other than play games and use some apps on it. I can't type on a tablet. I can barely type properly on my laptop, but its doable. I prefer proper keyboards, full size.

For reading books, I never use my desktop or laptop. I use a tablet/phone maybe 1 percent of the time. The rest is all my kindle ereaders. E-ink only.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I spend more time on a Desktop and use my tablet mostly as a book. I have 6 desktops, 2 laptops and a tablet. All of the desktops I built myself.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Definitely my laptop. That's my main computer. The tablet is nice to show videos to my mother on since it's more portable.

I also have a desktop that's rarely used and a netbook that's used occasionally.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Desktop. I have a Fire but like all tablets I hate the interface and dislike using it. I read on a kindle.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #24
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Considering just mobile devices, in general use I use a notebook more often than a tablet, a tablet is used mostly for eBooks (for myself I find a tablet with a versatile reading app far better for reading in every way, apart from battery charge life, than any of the E Ink readers I have owned or tested).

I use a phone for audiobooks.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I only use my laptop if I have to do work when I'm not at home. I use my tablet to play solitaire, and occasionally to check IMDB while watching TV with my husband. I read on my Kindle, or my Kobo, or very occasionally on my phone. Everything else is done on my desktop. Work, message boards, social media, youtube, email--all on my desktop, although I do check email on my phone when I'm not at my computer, I rarely answer emails from my phone--only if it's a work emergency, and usually only to let someone know that I'm on my way back to my desktop and will take care of it as soon as possible.

So...I didn't participate in the survey.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I intentionally didn't include desktop in my survey because I am curious with people's preferences with their portable devices.
Based strictly on the poll results, laptops are coming in way ahead of tablets.

I am surprised to see how many people have reported that a desktop is their first choice - I thought I was just old-fashioned.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

I am surprised to see how many people have reported that a desktop is their first choice - I thought I was just old-fashioned.
I am a fps gamer and a powerful pc is a must.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am a fps gamer and a powerful pc is a must.
Apache
I have a very basic 5-year-old PC which I use mostly for email and internet browsing, shopping, and borrowing library books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #29
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

With the insane and mostly useless increase in pixel count of modern cameras (what you REALLY should want are bigger pixels of higher quality, not more tiny pixels), Tablets and underpowered PCs of any sort simply can't handle photo editing with any degree of efficiency.

Lot's of reasons to use desktops of some reasonable power, and our reading activities just naturally follow. Those extra powerful computers, make Calibre fly!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:17 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not sure where I'd rank my Surface Pro 2, with the tablet or laptop...

It depends a bit on the time of year and whether I have a vacation or I'll be at work, but on avarage, on work days, I think I use my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Asus Vivotab Note 8) more, as I only use my desktop in the evenings.

During vacations, in summer I use my ereader most, in winter my PC as I love to play computer games.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote