Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I have my black 650 and pray it never breaks because I will need to find a replacement. I really don't want to move up to the T-x generation. Other than a constant on hand light, it is perfect for me.
This pretty much sums it up for me.
I am curious to see what comes though. The 600 was a huge step backwards from the 505 in my opinion, just as the T1 was from the 650. I wonder if the the next iteration will be a drastic leap for the better over the T1. (I don't include the T2 because it seemed to me to be identical in pretty much all aspects of hardware).
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I would never impulse buy an e-reader. More will be along soon.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I would never impulse buy an e-reader. More will be along soon.
Better than impulse buying a used car
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
User interchangeable battery

I'd pay $200 for such a reader, but only if it had a user-replaceable battery and the replacement battery readily available at a reasonable cost.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Probably not. Special editions never really did much for me, especially if the "special" part it just amounts to some software addition.

That's what confused me me about the Kobo Aura HD release. One website (I think Forbes) said the HD was a limited edition run up to a future release...but what was "limited" about is a mystery, aside from the continuous firmware stability problems folks with Kobos happily put up with.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I want to get a new frontlit epub reader. I have been very tempted by the Aura, but something is holding me back from picking one up. I went into the Kobo forum (what a difference from this one) to learn about it and I have not been impressed. Nice reader and all it seems, but the Kobo software leaves a lot to be desired. I want Sony to release one with at least the same specs as the Aura, but have the ability to use the WHOLE screen for text and not have so much of it not used. For that, I would be willing to pay the same price as the Aura. If Sony goes back into the $200 range for a reader, I don't think it would sell very well. Too much competition from 7" tablets at that price point. I will wait to see what Sony announces. Please don't let us down!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'd look longingly at it, and pass it by. I'm not interested in a PDF/TXT/EPUB only reader, and Sony removed their rtf support with the T1.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I want to get a new frontlit epub reader. I have been very tempted by the Aura, but something is holding me back from picking one up. I went into the Kobo forum (what a difference from this one) to learn about it and I have not been impressed. Nice reader and all it seems, but the Kobo software leaves a lot to be desired. I want Sony to release one with at least the same specs as the Aura, but have the ability to use the WHOLE screen for text and not have so much of it not used. For that, I would be willing to pay the same price as the Aura. If Sony goes back into the $200 range for a reader, I don't think it would sell very well. Too much competition from 7" tablets at that price point. I will wait to see what Sony announces. Please don't let us down!!!
I agree. I would really like a frontlit epub reader as well. I refuse to try a Kobo product again after the trouble I had with the Touch, and problem is that it seems like the software troubles continue 2 years later.

I LOVE my T1 and would gladly pay a decent price for a lit Sony reader!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
My sentiments exactly! I wish dearly that Sony will produce a reader with lit screen similar to the positive reviews that the Aura is getting. I am not that impressed with my KPW screen, and I think Kobo has done a better job. However, Kobo's firmware stability and customer support scare me away. I'm not giving up hope on Sony yet, but they are testing my patience.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
marsian
marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.

Device: prs t2, kobo mini, glo, arc, ipod touch 5
premium or not, the value of e-reader over tablet for me, besides paper like screen and battery life, is the ability to be used comfortably by only one hand for a long period of time (with book cover case on). I won't buy any ereader that requires both hand to comfortably use, I rather buy a tablet in that case. If sony can make a premium ereader with aura like screen but almost as one hand friendly as t2, then I will definitely buy.

Last edited by marsian; 06-12-2013 at 01:17 AM.
marsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I detest "limited edition" stuff, simply because it's usually just the standard stuff with some useless gimmick tacked on and a heftier price tag.

That said I would really, really like a premium ereader in the vein of my PRS-950. So take the 950 and add a front light, a higher resolution, updated innards and - most importantly - a user-replaceable battery and I would happily hand over $2-300. Actually, I'd very likely buy two.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
marsian
marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.

Device: prs t2, kobo mini, glo, arc, ipod touch 5
if sony will make a e reader with 950 sized screen or similar, please also place page turn buttons on the side (maybe both sides) , and make them easily clickable with the book case on, so it will.be much easier to use by only one hand.

Last edited by marsian; 06-12-2013 at 02:27 PM.
marsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #28
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
i am dying for the PRS T-3 Front lit to be released.
special edition or non-special edition.

faster processor, front lit WITH an internal stylus holder like the old days.
like the samsung galaxy note.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #29
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'd like a front-lit Sony, just because I'd like a front-lit e-ink reader and I do like the designs of the Sony readers. But I wouldn't rush out for a limited edition because really, I need another ereader like I need a hole in my head.

My Nook HD works well as a lit reader.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
i am dying for the PRS T-3 Front lit to be released.
special edition or non-special edition.

faster processor, front lit WITH an internal stylus holder like the old days.
like the samsung galaxy note.
I recently started using the stylus on my PRS T-1 and found it convient to flip pages with it instead of having to touch the screen with my finger. However I would love to have the option of to be able to click on a button on the stylus to flip pages on a special edition PRS T-3. Even if the stylus would have to be connected to the head phone jack (like the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic ) it would be convenient to be able to turn pages without having to physically touch or swipe a screen/button on the e-reader.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote