Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funslinger View Post
I'm not having a problem with em dashes on my personal ePubs on my Nook Simple Touch.
Okay, but do you read mostly Indie stuff, or Big-Six books?
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Rockbobster
Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Handspring Visor, Vtech Helio, Dell Axim x50v, Jetbook Lite, HTC Eris
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorGreg View Post
Have you tried it on a Nook Simple Touch, Rock?
I have no Nook Simple Touch. If someone sent me one I would be delighted to test these things out for them.
Rockbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

With a membership at Barnes & Noble, they're only 89 bucks. Though I believe they're committed to mediocrity, I made a good-faith investment. I also figure I can write it off....
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Can you send me one of the files or a link with I will try it on my nook touch. I have a different readers in my nook touch could also check if the problem is specific to the internal nook touch reader only
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Dopedangel,

I sent you a PM with my email address. I can't post it to the forum. If I did, Amazon would make my book free forever.

Thanks,

Greg
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, God help me, but I just refuse to give up on this thing.

I downloaded the "Prince and the Pauper" ePub from this forum, and on the Nook Simple Touch and through the Adobe Digital Editions viewer, the em-dashes display, but they have a space on either side of them. They don't have the "stickiness" they normally do. However, on the Barnes & Noble Nook Desktop previewer, the em-dashes ARE sticky. They display as they should.

I downloaded a sample of 50 Shades of Grey to my Simple Touch. The em-dashes display properly. What does Random House, Inc. know about ePub formatting that the rest of us don't? Why can they have an em-dash display properly but hardly anyone else?

Where can the secret be found?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you look at the source of an ePub that does work correctly, and see what the difference is?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why don't you look at the source of an ePub that does work correctly, and see what the difference is?
Well, the problem there is that all of the eBooks I see formatted correctly, all are DRM'ed.

I will keep searching, though...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@AuthorGreg: You could always google for "Apprentice Alf" and install his little tool package...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well, the problem there is that all of the eBooks I see formatted correctly, all are DRM'ed.

I will keep searching, though...
If you can track down a free (or very cheap) example (even if it's DRM'ed) of an ePub where the em-dashes do display properly, I'm sure someone might be willing to "purchase" it and might be able to track down what was going on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, to update this saga...

I ran my Word manuscript through the good old Meatgrinder of Smashwords.

Guess what?

It produces the absolute PERFECT ePub, at least on my Nook Simple Touch.

Em dashes are fully preserved. Line spacing now works. Lines with italics now don't interfere with line height.

I'm too tired right now, but tomorrow I'm going to explode that ePub and see what Mark Coker knows that not many others do.

I now feel bad about every bad thing I'd previously said about the Meatgrinder.

Greg
Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, to update this saga...

I ran my Word manuscript through the good old Meatgrinder of Smashwords.

Guess what?

It produces the absolute PERFECT ePub, at least on my Nook Simple Touch.

Em dashes are fully preserved. Line spacing now works. Lines with italics now don't interfere with line height.

I'm too tired right now, but tomorrow I'm going to explode that ePub and see what Mark Coker knows that not many others do.

I now feel bad about every bad thing I'd previously said about the Meatgrinder.

Greg
All Mark has done is run the Word file through Calibre to produce absolutely awful code under the hood. The code can actually break things like being able to change fonts and night mode. The reason the code is so bad is not because of Calibre, but because Word puts in too much garbage and garbage in, poor ePub out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, JS, you're right. It produces unpredictable and inconsistent output. But hell, at least it got some things right I hadn't been able to accomplish with either Calibre or Sigil, including the scalable line spacing and SOME of the em dashes.

That Meatgrinder thing really paints your wagon as far as having no choice but using Microsoft Word. So even if you style everything PERFECTLY in Word, you're still at the mercy of a mysterious process, over which you have NO control.

I'm about to give up on this em dash thing and just go to two hyphens instead. Hopefully the electronic media world will forgive and tolerate my decision.

Thanks,

Greg

p.s. The file displayed PERFECTLY in Adobe Digital Editions, however. I really don't understand this stuff, but I am convinced there's a bug in the reader for the Nook Simple Touch.

Last edited by AuthorGreg; 07-21-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #29
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
I'm about to give up on this em dash thing and just go to two hyphens instead. Hopefully the electronic media world will forgive and tolerate my decision.
If using the two-dashes, (if you then,) when converting use the 'Smarten punctuation' option in the Look & Feel section of conversion options, that will conert the dashes to proper em-dash entities.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You've been given a variety of good advice by several senior forum members that you've thus far ignored for all intensive purposes - instead of continually resurrecting the thread with new variants of the same query why don't you actually try to follow someone's advice all the way through?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
em dash epub calibre doc