Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #1681
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Thanks, Alan! I knew I could count on you.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #1682
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Evil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Thanks, Alan! I knew I could count on you.
Anytime, for you with your well-abused hat that's been to all those...um...places! Maybe you should henceforth be called "Evil Hat"!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #1683
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Anytime, for you with your well-abused hat that's been to all those...um...places! Maybe you should henceforth be called "Evil Hat"!

You might be on to something there. I can see the opportunity to refine my identity a bit. Might need to make some adjustments to my avatar. Hmmm...

Old 02-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #1684
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I always assumed "Empty Night" - as far as the White Court "curse" goes - was in relation to not feeding. Empty night = not finding anything (anyone) to feed upon = another day of hunger = chance of losing control, etc.

That sounds quite reasonable to me. You are probably right

It amazes me to hear that he had planned a 20 case story arc...and has now added to its midpoint! Color me amazed!

I was concerned that Harry was too empowered and connected now to be able to do too many more cases. Glad to be wrong. Wonder if he'll somehow be able to resume life as a detective when Winter Court isn't especially in session. Surely he doesn't have to save the whole world every week. Gotta give the other superbeings their turn under the spotlight.

Perhaps he'll be like a wizarding version of Persephone, available six months of the year for (relatively) normal cases. I kinda miss the noir-ish feel of the first mysteries, though I have enjoyed the last books tremendously too.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #1685
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Avatars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
You might be on to something there. I can see the opportunity to refine my identity a bit. Might need to make some adjustments to my avatar. Hmmm...

Possibly like this image? Or even like this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	avatar91505_6.png
Views:	218
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	101345Click image for larger version

Name:	avatar91505_6_s.png
Views:	235
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	101382

Last edited by alansplace; 02-16-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add image
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #1686
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Instead of "soft curses" I tend to employ "anti-curses," or epithet-based phrases that actually improve my mood. "Summon a beach" is probably the most common, and "shite" makes me giggle a bit. Come to think of it, "shizniblet" is something I tend to say recently, but never actually transliterated before

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Ned Flanders. When the situation calls for cursing (and often enough when it doesn't necessarily), I curse. It sometimes feels like Butcher, and by extension, Harry, have only come to that accommodation in the last 3-4 books.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1687
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I have always found Butcher's use of profanity serves to really intensify a scene. Knowing that Harry doesn't really casually swear, if he starts dropping f-bombs, you just KNOW something's gonna happen.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #1688
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher - Beyond Binary 101 - Sep 25, 2010

It sure doesn't feel like the whole thing is here in these 6 parts! Oh well!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-16-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1689
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I have always found Butcher's use of profanity serves to really intensify a scene. Knowing that Harry doesn't really casually swear, if he starts dropping f-bombs, you just KNOW something's gonna happen.
If people in my life would realize that the same applies to me, my life would be so much easier.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #1690
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool your observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Hmmmm...that's an astute observation and I agree with your conclusion!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #1691
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
^^ Thank you, Allen. That came just at the right time. Started with Ghost Story recently - not very far into it. Harry still getting introduced to what is different in this book. The person that suggested to me to give Dresden Files a try did not really like Ghost Story for these reasons:
Spoiler:
  • missing interaction
  • missing ability to influence
  • limited magic
I don't think that is quite fair. If the story would have went on without that unfortunate mishap at the end of Changes, there is not really much room for improvement. Something had to happen to slow things down and show us a Harry that is completely new and fresh. I rather like that he faces new challenges and that he has to investigate
Spoiler:
his own death, but not for him, only for others ...

Jim does this playing with emotions well

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-18-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #1692
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Ha! Imagine my surprise at seeing both Mab (as Queen of Winter and ruler of the Unseelie territories) and Cat Sith (aka Grimalkin) in The Iron King (The Iron Fey Book #1) by Julie Kagawa.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #1693
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Queen Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ha! Imagine my surprise at seeing both Mab (as Queen of Winter and ruler of the Unseelie territories) and Cat Sith (aka Grimalkin) in The Iron King (The Iron Fey Book #1) by Julie Kagawa.
Queen Mab From Wikipedia

Quote:
Queen Mab is a fairy referred to in Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. She later appears in other poetry and literature, and in various guises in drama and cinema. In the play her activity is described in a famous speech by Mercutio written originally in prose and often adapted into iambic pentameter, in which she is described as a miniature creature who drives her chariot into the noses and into the brains of sleeping people to compel them to experience dreams of wish-fulfillment. She would also "plague" "ladies' lips" "with blisters", which is thought a reference to the plague or to herpes simplex. She is also described as a midwife to help sleepers 'give birth' to their dreams. She may be a figure borrowed from folklore, and though she is often associated with the Irish Medb in popular culture and has been suggested by historian Thomas Keightley to be from Habundia, a more likely origin for her name would be from Mabel and the Middle English derivative "Mabily" (as used by Chaucer) all from the Latin "amabilis".
In other literature

Quote:
After her literary debut in Romeo and Juliet, she appears in works of seventeenth-century poetry, notably Ben Jonson's "The Entertainment at Althorp" and Michael Drayton's "Nymphidia". In Poole's work Parnassus, Mab is described as the Queen of the Fairies and consort to Oberon, Emperor of the Fairies. Queen Mab is alluded to in Robert Herrick's "The Argument of his Book."

Queen Mab was a successful pantomime by Henry Woodward, staged at Drury Lane, London in 1750.

Queen Mab: A Philosophical Poem (1813) is the title of the first large poetic work written by the famous English Romantic poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822).

"Queen Mab" is also the subtitle given to the 31st chapter of Herman Melville's novel, Moby Dick, first published in 1851. In this chapter, Stubb, the second mate of the Pequod, describes to Flask, the third mate, the details of a dream in which Stubb is confronted by a merman who tells him that the kick Stubb received from Captain Ahab's whalebone leg the previous day should be considered an honour, as a great English lord would consider it an honour to be slapped by a queen.

In Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, the sexually deceptive Willoughby gives his prey, Marianne, a horse named Queen Mab, a symbol for Marianne's over-eager expectations of marriage in the travelling, womanizing Willoughby.

In J. M. Barrie's The Little White Bird (1902) Queen Mab lives in Kensington Gardens and grants Peter Pan (who has learned he is a boy, so he can no longer fly) his wish to fly again.

American philosopher George Santayana wrote a short piece entitled "Queen Mab" which appeared in his 1922 book Soliloquies in England and Later Soliloquies. This particular soliloquy considers English literature as an indirect form of self-expression in which the English writer "will dream of what Queen Mab makes other people dream" rather than revealing him or herself.

"El velo de la reina Mab" ("The Veil of Queen Mab") is a short story by the Nicaraguan modernist Rubén Darío that explores the artist's relationship with the world, as well as the beauty of artistic creation. The story climaxes with Queen Mab enveloping the four artists in her veil, "el velo de los sueños, de los dulces sueños, que hacen ver la vida del color de rosa" ("the veil of dreams, of sweet dreams, that make the world appear rose-colored"). In this way, Queen Mab alleviates the artists' sadness, giving them hope and allowing them to continue their creative endeavors.

In Jim Butcher's urban fantasy series of novels, the Dresden Files, Queen Mab is one of six Faerie queens and is the ruler of the Unseelie (Winter) court, second in power only to Mother Winter.

Queen Mab also appears as a pivotal character in two Elizabeth Bear fantasy novels, Ink and Steel and Hell and Earth. In these historical fantasy works, Queen Mab is ruler of Faerie in the sixteenth century, co-existing alongside Elizabeth I. Morgan Le Fay, William Shakespeare, Thomas Walsingham, Christopher Marlowe and other historical personages appear in this novel. Mab's rule is linked supernaturally to that of Elizabeth I, her sister queen.

In Martin Millar's book Dreams of Sex and Stage Diving (1994), the heroine, Elfish, wants to call her thrash metal band "Queen Mab". To get this name, which her ex-boyfriend claims for his own band as well, she makes a bet to learn and publicly recite Mercutio's speech.

Queen Mab also appears in the Vertigo graphic novel God Save the Queen, by Mike Carey. She is the primary antagonist; the story is based on characters seen in Vertigo's Sandman and The Books of Magic. An ancient woman (apparently a witch) appears throughout the Dark Horse Comics series Hellboy. In Hellboy: The Wild Hunt, this woman is revealed to be Queen Mab.

A fairy named Mab is one of the main characters in Francesca Lia Block's novel I Was a Teenage Fairy.

Queen Mab is ruler of the Unseelie Court in the 2009 novel Midwinter by Matthew Sturges. She is enemy to the Seelie Queen, Regina Titania.

A more malevolent Queen Mab appears in Simon R. Green's Secret History series and also in his Nightside series, having returned from exile to overthrow Oberon and Titania and reclaim the throne of the Unseelie Court.

In Lesley Livingston's series Wondrous Strange, Mab (written as Mabh in the series) is the Autumn Queen of Darkness and Air.

In Magic Street by Orson Scott Card, the character of Puck suggests that Queen Mab and Titania, of A Midsummer Night's Dream, are in fact, the same individual, but Shakespeare did not realize it.

Queen Mab is the ruler of the Unseelie Court in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #1694
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I can not offer Karma via my phone, so please accept this "Thank You", for now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #1695
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Iron Fey Book

Quote:
Quote:
I can not offer Karma via my phone, so please accept this "Thank You", for now.
Tell us (who don't already know) more about The Iron Fey Books by Julie Kagawa?

Last edited by alansplace; 02-19-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: oops!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy