Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
DecalGirl skins available for 950

I know at least a few other folks here have been impatiently waiting for these. It looks like skins for the 950 were just released today, and they appear to include wallpapers. (Lack of wallpapers would have been disappointing, for me.) http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...0-Reader-Skins

One of the standard ones they're offering is "Carbon," which could work for someone who was wanting a black 950. (It's not pure black, it has some "texture." There's a pure black on the site, but you'd have to request it which is either more expensive or takes longer.)

Their facebook page says that there will be a "percent off" code available next week.

Can someone tell me what the texture of these is? I really like the idea of having a non-silver reader, but I've never used these skins.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Awesome news! I just got my new 950 in the other day and so this is perfect timing for me as I want a skin to protect the silver metal of my 950 (it looks like it may scratch easily).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
matthewsackmann
matthewsackmann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
O wow, those look great! Can anyone who used them tell me how distracting it is to read with one of these wrapped around the text? I was thinking I just wanted a black cover for mine, but the Van Gogh's Blossoming Almond Tree looks cool. And I love the idea of a screensaver that completes/continues the image.
matthewsackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing, Natasha! Now the hard part is to choose which one.... The free screensaver is a cool idea. I don't find skins distracting. I bought one for my silver 505 (not DecalGirl though). It helped to create some extra contrast with the text on the screen for me compared to the silver. However, it is really a personal preference.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Pregasviel
Pregasviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Skins on the website are very cool, seriously I could not resist to take one, my PRS 950 is on the way now after 3 weeks of waiting. I expect the device to be a great one, i'm sure i'm gonna love it, but i have to admit that i'm not a big fan of the silver color. When i had my kindle 3 during 2 weeks, one of the things I liked the most was the contrast of the pearl screen but also the contrast between the nearly white screen and its graphite outline. It made the text more eyecatching, better as i choose the white device.

That's why I ordered on decalgirls (thanks to post the link) one of the most beautiful skin according to me, the one entitle radiosity, i took it with the matte effect, i think it will avoid the glare in the skin...i suppose it worth the extra money.

When i'll receive all of my items, maybe i will post photos if you feel interested. There is a percent off 10% on the order if you enter the code DECAL10.

Last edited by Pregasviel; 12-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Pregasviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Thanks for the news!

Their skins are beautiful and I loved the one that I had on my 505 (sold last month). Pretty soon I'll select one for my 950.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
If you would prefer other designs (beyond the 26 shown), you can also choose from over 1900 designs for the 950 for an additional $5 charge...
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

They look nice. I almost bought the Carbon in matte finish (add $5) but when I totaled up the charges including shipping I decided they could keep it:

Item Subtotal: $19.99
Discount: $2.00 (I used the suggested DECAL10 code)
Shipping: $7.05
Gift Card: $0.00
Total: $25.04

$7 to ship an item that weighs next to nothing and could fit in a cardstock envelope was a bit over the top!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Pregasviel
Pregasviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
I totally agree with you jswinden, I saw the website yesterday and became fond of one of the proposed skins. But like you, when i did a simulation of the order and it froze me, especially the shipping cost which was 12$ for me as i live in France. I gave up the idea to get one, but this morning when i went back to the website, I could not resist...a pure impulse buy.
I hope not to be deceived.
Pregasviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Anyone has experience with High-Gloss vs Matte/Satin?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are so many choices I just can't decide on one!

Of the already presented choices, I have my eye on one, but I made the mistake of also browsing by design. Of which as gardenstate said, there are almost a couple of thousand. I found so many good ones! So I've given myself a deadline of Monday to decide on one (I have a busy weekend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Anyone has experience with High-Gloss vs Matte/Satin?
I haven't, but I'm definitely going with the matte for my reader. I don't want it shiny.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

@Pregasviel, I suspect that impulse urge will get me in the end too!

@kartu, I think from my experiences with devices that have a shiny bevel, I would go with the matte finish just to be safe. But that is purely a personal preference. For me, glare is to be avoided at all costs. One of the reasons I backed away from a purchase was I feared that even the matte finish might have too much glare. so I will await to see what people say who order them before giving in to an impulse to buy. i also want to wait and see how well they fit. I bought one for a Kindle 2 and quickly took it off because it felt strange.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
Sonics99
Sonics99 doesn't litterSonics99 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader Daily 950
I'm assuming if I order a skin other than the ones specifically for the 950, I not only pay the extra $5 but also lose out on the free wallpaper that matches?
Sonics99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nope! I checked because I definitely want the wallpaper too. As long as you don't want to customise it, any design you pick will come with free wallpaper.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Sonics99
Sonics99 doesn't litterSonics99 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader Daily 950
Sorry, was that nope it would not come with a wallpaper if I order outside of the 28 or so 950 specific ones?
Sonics99 is offline   Reply With Quote