Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
enTourage eDGe - WiFi

I realize this isn't exactly the right place for such a thread, but untl we get our own section, it will have to do...

So, has anyone had any issues with their wifi (and maybe its not an issue at all, but...)? Basically, I'm having to start (turn on) my wifi everytime I boot up the LCD side (from a fresh boot, or even from a "lock" boot.

Seems to me this is something that should auto-start/load and connect...and even connecting has been hit and miss.

Any other similar issues anywhere?
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I am having the same problem. I keep having to connect manually to my access point but I have not had any problems connecting. It has always worked.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I have had better luck. When it is has been down, I have simply had to turn off and then turn on the software wife switch. It has not went down wh.le I was using it or when the lcd screen locked.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
mgm1979
Zealot

I'll continue to make notes on how/when this occurs and send something into support to see how they respond. Since I've posted this, I haven't had any issue though -weird.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
...software wife switch...

Where can I get one of these?

Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
...software wife switch...

I be funny and I don't even try!!!!!!
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
I realize this isn't exactly the right place for such a thread, but untl we get our own section, it will have to do...

So, has anyone had any issues with their wifi (and maybe its not an issue at all, but...)? Basically, I'm having to start (turn on) my wifi everytime I boot up the LCD side (from a fresh boot, or even from a "lock" boot.

Seems to me this is something that should auto-start/load and connect...and even connecting has been hit and miss.

Any other similar issues anywhere?
mgm1979,

Yes, last night at home I couldn't get a connection from the router. The eDGe indicated it recognized the secure network, but said I hadn't typed in the correct WEP key. I hadn't actually typed anything yet, so I kept hitting okay until a key entry field appeared. I entered the key I have on file for my laptop and Mac, but it still didn't work. If it's still not working tonight, I'll have to find a time next week where I can be at home during enTourage's business hours to hopefully get some phone troubleshooting support.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
This has happened once or twice to me.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
I had similar wifi drop, unable to connect, etc. problems. My laptop did not, so I thought it was the eDGe. The problem was too bothersome, though, and my daughter was having intermittent problems connecting with her laptop. On a whim, I replaced my wireless router. Now, no more problems. I'm not sure, and I can't figure why my laptop connected with little problem, but possibly my router needed replacing. All devices: laptops, pdas, phones, eDGes appear to connect with no problem.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
toscadera
Enthusiast
toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 600, Entourage Edge (soon...)
somewhat off topic

Hi,

this seems to be the place where the Edge people hang

I was wondering if you help me with a few questions. I've asked for recommendations for a research capable e-reader elsewhere, and all the normal-sized e-readers seem to be lacking a good annotation and annotation export function, while the Edge seems somewhat less portable, so I am still trying to make up my mind Could you tell me how satisfied you are with these functions on the Edge? I would like to be able to scribble in the margins of any given PDF (text or just image/non-ocr-ed PDF), then export to pc/mac for future reference. (If anyone would send/upload an annotated and exported PDF that would be fantastic!)

- How well does the Edge play with a Mac?
- How does it work with image only PDF?
- Have you been happy with the support so far?

Sorry again for hijacking the post - wasn't sure where else to ask Edge specific questions...

cheers
katarina
toscadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Katarina,

It works just fine with a Macintosh. Although I don't use a computer to load data to the eDGe by connecting it directly. I put everything on a media card (SDHC) and use that on the eDGe. My experience with PDF is excellent, including images. You can open the PDF on the eInk side or on the LCD side. I do have one book in PDF that has images that don't display on either side. But that's the only one I have found from the 500 PDF files I have opened on the eDGe. I am satisfied with support. They have been responsive and quick to address all my concerns.

If you want me to test one of your PDFs on the eDGe, post them here and I will try them and take pictures for you.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
The edge plays well with Macs - I seem to be the only one who can actually use the USB transfer since they're having some Windows compatibility issues.

But, I have noticed that my edge doesn't register that there's an SD card inserted. Rather, it tells me it's blank and needs formatting, but no amount of formatting makes the card show up under storage device. (I get a notification when the card is inserted or removed, but if I look specifically under storage settings, it does not think there's an SD card in there.) Strangely, the USB transfer, which requires an SD card inserted, works just fine though. So I haven't yet been able to just put data on a card then open the card on the edge. I have had to do the USB transfer thing so far.

Can't properly evaluate wifi as we're having internet issues at our apt. complex and I haven't had the thing in wifi range for more than the initial day or two.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
mgm1979
Zealot

that's interesting, Sarah - I've been successful in using 3 different kinds of SDHC cards, up to 16gb which is currently in both of our eDGe's...
Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
toscadera
Enthusiast
toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.toscadera has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 600, Entourage Edge (soon...)
thanks for your replies, zetareticuli and sarah11918. Looks like each Edge has its own personality just kidding of course! Good to hear it's working well with the Mac and that Entourage are addressing issues that undoubtedly pop up with each newly released gadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
If you want me to test one of your PDFs on the eDGe, post them here and I will try them and take pictures for you.
that would be great! here are a couple for testing - thanks.

Could you also do some editing and export that too or just tell me if the export is a merged PDF (scribbles +txt)? Oh, and does anyone know if there is a limit to how much text one can copy into a note? I think the Sony restriction is 100 characters (drm or no-drm), which is not a whole lot...

@mgm1979: maybe it doesn't like particular brands? I've read that somewhere for another reader...

thanks again!
k

edit: oh, there seems to be a new edge forum now...I would split my post off to not hijack the original post any longer if I knew how to...

Last edited by toscadera; 03-15-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: discovery of new Edge forum
toscadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
hanmik
hanmik doesn't litterhanmik doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-900, eDGe (pre-order)
I'm not sure the WiFi issues is limited to the eDGe. I have an Archos 5 IT and it has the same issue. I have a Droid and it never has this problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the form factor (non-phone)?
hanmik is offline   Reply With Quote