Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thumbs up Free Audio Story

CrimeWav.com invited me to do a recording of My Father's Secret. This was the story that won me an Anthony Award and is from my book Working Stiffs. It's also the story I'm currently converting into a stage play. You're welcome to give it a listen.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Thanks for sharing. I'll give that a check.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks...
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Sorry, Simon... but I'm not an auditory person at all... I need to read the stuff...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Simon Wood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Sorry, Simon... but I'm not an auditory person at all... I need to read the stuff...
You can read it. The story is part of Working Stiffs...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I fully agree, I cannot understand the purpose of audio books really. Well OK if your blind I suppose, but for anyone who can read surely reading is the way to 'consume' a book.

Of course it could just be another sign of dumbing down of the human race, most people seem to be forgetting how to write correctly and the demand seems to be 'entertain me' instead of how can I entertain myself.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
I fully agree, I cannot understand the purpose of audio books really. Well OK if your blind I suppose, but for anyone who can read surely reading is the way to 'consume' a book.

Of course it could just be another sign of dumbing down of the human race, most people seem to be forgetting how to write correctly and the demand seems to be 'entertain me' instead of how can I entertain myself.
1. I listen to audio books while walking the dog. Tough to read any kind of pbook or ebook while walking the dog, particularly in the winter.

2. I listen to audiobooks while commuting on the subway. Usually it's standing room only on the subway. Hard to keep my balance & read.

3. I listen to audiobooks sometimes on the bus going home at night. My eyes are often tired at that point in the day. Plus, depending on the driver, there's a motion sickness issue.

4. I listen to audiobooks while driving. Short stories for around town, novels etc. for longer trips.

5. Some books are simply better on audio. I find Harry Potter books to be mediocre reads, but read out loud by Jim Dale, they are transformed. Frank McCourt's readings, especially of Angela's Ashes, are marvelous. Stanley Lombardo's readings of his own translations of the Odyssey and the Iliad are wonderful, much better than the written page. And Terry Pratchett's books, on audio, are a delight over and above the already delightful print version. I think that most, if not all, poetry is better read aloud than in print, even if I have to do it myself.

So it boils down to this: audiobooks provide a "reading" experience in situations where it is not easy to read a book, and in some instances, the experience of the audiobook is qualitatively better than that of merely reading the book.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
Simon Wood
Addict

Actually, I'm dyslexic, so audio books are very important to me. They increase my access to stories. I read the books I can't get on audio.

But different strokes for different folks.