Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
ebooknewbie
ebooknewbie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Would Sony prs 600 be a good buy?

I've been consdering getting an ebook reader and was wondering whether getting the sony 600 would be a good decision.

I'm not too concerned about the online store, I figure that I can generally get what I want from any ebook maker. But I am interested in Sony's deal with libraries. That would be something I would definitely use. Can I check out books online to read on the 600? And what has your experience been checking out books?

I also want something with good support for pdfs. I looked at the irex and kindle, but I want to spend less than $400, so both of those companies are out. How well does reflow work? Is it usually successful? I'm also planning on reading some technical books (stuff that uses latex mainly, so I can easily convert it) and I was wondering how complex math formulas and math symbols looked on the ereader. And if pdf support is not great, how good is conversion software? I wouldn't mind poor pdf support if I could easily convert to a different format.

Thanks
ebooknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
PDF reflow works fine (although it doesn't preserve formatting and can mess up tables and equations!); ePub doesn't fully justify. I would go for a 505 or the slightly smaller 300 before the 600, unless you really want a touchscreen and dictionary lookup. If you just want to read lots of books and borrow from libraries, then the 505 (6") or 300 (5") would be my choices. You might want the larger screen to better view technical docs.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
ebooknewbie

Is there any major differences between the 505 and 600 besides the fact that one has a touchscreen? Also, are any stores still selling the 505? I'm kind of wanting to get a new device, so that I can get an extended warranty.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooknewbie View Post
But I am interested in Sony's deal with libraries. That would be something I would definitely use. Can I check out books online to read on the 600? And what has your experience been checking out books?
Keep in mind there is no "deal" here. You have to have a library card to one of the libraries that Sony partners with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The 600 has expansion slots for an SD card and memory stick, if you plan on putting on large PDFs that might be a good idea.

The 600 also allows viewing of images and playing of MP3s (though the MP3s drain the battery relatively quickly) and the dictionary support.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Do you like to write in your books? If so, the 600 will allow you to do that. In addition, if you are like me and you steal time in the checkout line reading, you can also write a grocery list in the notes section. With the m-edge cover you would have a pocket which would accomadate your drivers license and debit or credit card. You would have wallet, book, and grocery list all together in one convenient place.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
ebooknewbie

Thanks for all your advice guys. I ended up calling the local sony style store and when I heard they were running low on sony 600's I decided to check it out. So now I have a new Sony 600.

I haven't really played around with it a lot yet, but so far I really like it. I'm pretty happy with pdf reflow, the few pdfs I have tried have displayed well. I tried reading and abstract algebra book on it and it seemed to handle the formatting well. So I'm happy with my purchase so far.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Now you just need to add it to your profile and let us know which color you bought.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
How is the glare from the touch screen? I hear it's a little too reflective.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
How is the glare from the touch screen? I hear it's a little too reflective.
What I found is that, under good light, there is very little difference. Both the 505 and the 600 look great and are great for reading.

Under poor light is where the 505 is better (but we should not be reading under poor light, right? )

PRS-600 on the left, PRS-505 on the right:

wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
Do you like to write in your books?
I hate people who write in books! I have bought a lot of used books in my day, and some have random notes/markings/etc. (Textbooks are understandable, although I never hacked mine up.) Don't people realize that defacing books like that ruins it for all future owners/readers? (OK, maybe it is noit such a crime for eBooks, but--why?) I buy/borrow books to read. A simple bookmark holds my place. A tiny colored sticky flag can mark a page for future reference. The ink is already on the pages--no need to add to it!!!!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I hate people who write in books! I have bought a lot of used books in my day, and some have random notes/markings/etc. (Textbooks are understandable, although I never hacked mine up.) Don't people realize that defacing books like that ruins it for all future owners/readers? (OK, maybe it is noit such a crime for eBooks, but--why?) I buy/borrow books to read. A simple bookmark holds my place. A tiny colored sticky flag can mark a page for future reference. The ink is already on the pages--no need to add to it!!!!
I don't care for random writings in books. And I thought I'd never like it. But several years ago, someone who was well-known in the local Pagan community died, and donated his entire library to the community, to be kept accessible for people to read. His books are extensively marked up, highlighted, underlined, with comments in the margins... and for a lot of people, it's like having a conversation with him.

They're not just books; they're Collin's books, a unique collection that no other library can match.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't care for random writings in books. And I thought I'd never like it. But several years ago, someone who was well-known in the local Pagan community died, and donated his entire library to the community, to be kept accessible for people to read. His books are extensively marked up, highlighted, underlined, with comments in the margins... and for a lot of people, it's like having a conversation with him.

They're not just books; they're Collin's books, a unique collection that no other library can match.
There is a thread on this. Do you like to write notes in books where I recently posted something similar. I hate notes/highlights in the books... but my Dad loves doing just that. And reading a book he has read is like sitting down and talking to him... it is a way to share his thoughts, history, and better understandig the man...

My son has no such luck, if he wants to know more about his dad he will have to sit down and just talk to me or maybe when I am older I will start writing notes in the books...

Humm, but thinking back on this... my Dad reads Earl Nightingale, Napoleon Hill, Andrew Carnegie, Benjamin Franklin, Dale Carnegie,

and I stop reading those when I started working... now I read Daniel Silva, James Patterson, John Grisham, ... lol... not great literature or motivational reading if you know what I mean...

Last edited by wachuko; 09-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
fjsafsdfskhPassw
fjsafsdfskhPassw began at the beginning.

prs 600??

prs700?

Last edited by fjsafsdfskhPassw; 09-27-2009 at 01:20 AM.
fjsafsdfskhPassw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony prs 600