Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Trillian
Trillian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Importing books without calibre creating a copy

Hi, I'm new here and really need your help regarding calibre. I searched if this topic already exists but I was a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of threads and couldn't find an answer. If I'm just blind I'm really sorry and a moderator or admin can close and/or delete this thread.

I want to organize all my (gutenberg) books with calibre to have a good overview. Is it somehow possible to import those books/files without calibre saving it in its folder for a second time? I already have a specific way to archive my books on my pc and don't want to have them saved in the calibre folder too. I know I could just delete my original files but I don't really like how calibre stores them. I love the program but this annoys me I hope there is an option I just haven't found yet, that allows me to only import the files without saving them again.

I'd be happy if someone can help me because it drives me crazy that I haven't found any solution by myself so far

btw I'm really sorry for this weird/long title, I just couldn't find a better way to express what I'm looking for.
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Is it somehow possible to import those books/files without calibre saving it in its folder for a second time?
No.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Trillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Welcome to Mobileread.

No.
That was fast! Thank you for your answer, even though it's not what I hoped someone would say Well when there is no other possibility I'm going to have to live with it, because otherwise I really like calibre. Thank you again!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I have a "Catalog" Library that I use just to keep track of what I own and i use my own organization on the computer. Once I have all the metadata set up the way in want, I save the books to disk with the organization settings the way I want them, copy the formats column to a custom column for notation purposes, delete the formats (actual books in the calibre library) and copy the empty books to my "Catalog". I don't know if this is more work than you want, but it works well for me. I use Calibre's awesomeness, but keep my (ocd) organization the way I want.

I just typed this up real quick so let me know if it doesn't make sense or needs more clarification.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Trillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I have a "Catalog" Library that I use just to keep track of what I own and i use my own organization on the computer. Once I have all the metadata set up the way in want, I save the books to disk with the organization settings the way I want them, copy the formats column to a custom column for notation purposes, delete the formats (actual books in the calibre library) and copy the empty books to my "Catalog". I don't know if this is more work than you want, but it works well for me. I use Calibre's awesomeness, but keep my (ocd) organization the way I want.

I just typed this up real quick so let me know if it doesn't make sense or needs more clarification.
Thank you for your reply, gabby98. I think I understood everything let me put it in my words: you imported the books you want to archive. Then you update the metadata the way you want it to be. Since you want the format in your catalog aswell you created a new column for that. I only have mobi, so that wouldn't be necessary for me. Well and then you just go into the calibre folder and delete the dublicates the programm created. Now you only have the information stored in calibre and your books archived the way you want. Did I understand everything correctly?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you for your reply, gabby98. I think I understood everything let me put it in my words: you imported the books you want to archive. Then you update the metadata the way you want it to be. Since you want the format in your catalog aswell you created a new column for that. I only have mobi, so that wouldn't be necessary for me. Well and then you just go into the calibre folder and delete the dublicates the programm created. Now you only have the information stored in calibre and your books archived the way you want. Did I understand everything correctly?
NO
Never use the file system to delete books(files) within the Library...That breaks the Library.

Use the Librarian (Calibre) to Remove All Formats (not the same as Delete, which removes all records of the books. This way everything remain in sync
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Trillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the Librarian (Calibre) to Remove All Formats (not the same as Delete, which removes all records of the books. This way everything remain in sync
ah okay, thanks for that info! I'm going to check that out soon. Thank you very much for your help!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ah okay, thanks for that info! I'm going to check that out soon. Thank you very much for your help!
Just to clarify:
This is a Right-click option on the Delete Icon
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Trillian

Quote:
Just to clarify:
This is a Right-click option on the Delete Icon
i just checked and I found it. It's one of the delete options. I use the german version so it's roughly translated "all formates of this book".

Once again thank you for your help. I think that's a great way to keep track of all my books without calibre saving a second version of it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Did I understand everything correctly?
I think you missed one very interesting bit.

When the books were correct, gabby98 used the save to disk feature in calibre to save the books to some intricate folder structure, using the metadata for the books. At the same time the internal metadata for the books is updated as well. So not only does calibre hold the correct information about the books, the books themselves are updated with this metadata.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Trillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post

When the books were correct, gabby98 used the save to disk feature in calibre to save the books to some intricate folder structure, using the metadata for the books. At the same time the internal metadata for the books is updated as well. So not only does calibre hold the correct information about the books, the books themselves are updated with this metadata.
I always thought I'm not that bad with programs and english but now I see it's totally not the case thanks for correcting me.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post

Thanks for pointing that out....You are correct. my originals in my mind are junk..once I update the metadata then I can save the 'good copies' using the folder structure I want, and keep the archive of books in calibre without the book itself.

Quote:
I always thought I'm not that bad with programs and english but now I see it's totally not the case thanks for correcting me.
Maybe not bad....just getting to know. I had no idea about this program when i first started, I just always figure out how to make things work for how I want them to

Quote:
NO
Never use the file system to delete books(files) within the Library...That breaks the Library.

That is correct, thanks!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
Trillian

I spent some time with calibre in the last two days and I think now I know how I can use it the way I like.

Gabby98, theducks & Adoby thank you very much for your help
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I spent some time with calibre in the last two days and I think now I know how I can use it the way I like.

Gabby98, theducks & Adoby thank you very much for your help
You are welcome.
Calibre can do most of what is needed (not the same as want).

The confusion comes from converting from a (computer) method devised because there were NOT tools available. eg. Managing metadata by filenaming

I think other confusion come from those that did not Learn to use a card catalog in a Brick and Mortar Library.
It confuses me to see an author filed under the first name:
Code:
Orson Scott Card
When I Expect:
Code:
Card, Orson Scott

but we see here at Calibre-MR, requests to show just that
Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
AZBooks
AZBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Android Smartphone
If I understand this correctly, you can "Remove All Formats from Selected Files" to get rid of those redundant books created by Calibre.

However, if you've already updated the metadata on your original files, and use Windows Explorer or other way to manage files, why not just "Remove Selected Files (Delete)".

Sorry bout the questions, I'm use to MusicBee & MP3Tag editors and that industry practice with metadata - self contained files. I'm guessing book vendors haven't agreed on standards like music has done with ID3 and such.
AZBooks is offline   Reply With Quote