Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Zahn

For those of us who like Timothy Zahn's work. Forthcoming Cobra book books.simonandschuster.com/Cobra-Slave/Timothy-Zahn/9781451638998
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Fantastic!

I've read the first series and loved it and have recently grabbed the second series from Baen - hopefully it will be as good as the first.

Can't wait for this.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to "Reading Recommendations".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I would like to read these however I am confused as to the various books/collections.

Can someone breakdown the order for me? I know Baen lists some as no longer available, and some of the ebooks have several books combined in them and some are just reprints of the same books, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: I thought it was more confusing before...just looked again at Baen and the books are listed as 1,2 and 3.

So are there only 3 books and the one you listed above is the fourth?
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Book one through book three - http://www.baenebooks.com/p-74-the-cobra-trilogy.aspx
Book four http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1081-cob...ar-book-i.aspx
Book Five http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1264-cob...r-book-ii.aspx
Book six http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1514-cob...-book-iii.aspx
Book seven is coming this spring.

The books are organized into two trilogies called the Cobra Trilogy and the Cobra War Trilogy. Read the Cobra Trilogy first. Personally I lump the two trilogies together into one big series that I refer to as the Cobra series. That's why I mention books four, five and six.

There are six books read the cobra trilogy first then the Cobra War trilogy. I explained my jargon above.

Last edited by jbcohen; 12-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I was completely underwhelmed by the Cobra War trilogy. I loved the original Cobra trilogy however, so maybe the start of the next trilogy, I'll actually like?
Here's hoping...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

What don't you like about the series? For more action try the bolan books at mackbolan.com. I can give you a short intro to the characters, the series has been running since the late 60s and unless you are able to get some of the older books you will miss a few things. I can help you to understand the characters fully.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Books 1-3 as one ebook for just $4? I'm in
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
JB,
I've read the Bolan books back in my highschool days and actually just got the first 30 ebooks to see if I like them in my 30's as much as I did in my young teens.

As for Cobra War, I never felt anything particular about the characters. I really liked Jonny Moreau and his sons, but after that, the 'family' just became names. I think I might have liked CW more if he'd used a completely new set of characters with no ties to the Moreau's...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard

I think mew that the important thing here is to find those publishers that tend to lower the cost of their products rather than increase the prices of their products and the publisher here, BAEN books tends to discount the older books thus Baen is one of those publishers that I look for. Another good one is black library at blacklibrary.com. The individual books are $8 however if you like discount the omni books which are one big volume consisting of three smaller books are $15/3 books or $5 per book, although the ebooks are all $8 so black library is another great publisher.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
BAEN books tends to discount the older books thus Baen is one of those publishers that I look for.
No they don't. All Baen's books are exactly the same price.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No they don't. All Baen's books are exactly the same price.
Really?

Now I get lots of ebooks from them and although alot are at a price of $6.00, there is a massive amount at varing prices. You will find several olders books by some authors to be either $4.00 or $5.00, plus some more expensive.

Also anything from Nightshade tends to be at around $6.99 of more.

Looking at their paper books, you will see a similar trend here.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard

The existence of companies such as Baen, blacklibrary and the Gold Eagle are reasons that I simply will not pay more than $8 for any book. If I can get so much excellent reading for $8 and below why should I ever go above that price. I like John Grisham and Vince Flynn but their books cost do much, I am not willing to pay out that much. Thanks Baen, Gold Eagle and Black Library (sometimes called Games Workshop).
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Really?

Now I get lots of ebooks from them and although alot are at a price of $6.00, there is a massive amount at varing prices. You will find several olders books by some authors to be either $4.00 or $5.00, plus some more expensive.
I stand corrected - I thought that all their eBooks were $6 (other than the bundles). Thanks for the information. I'm talking about their own books, not the stuff they sell from other publishers (Nightshade, etc).