Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Tef61
Tef61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Import Failed? Can't convert JPG PDFs?

I've been trying to convert some plain PDFs with Mobipocket creator.

I often get a "Import Failed" message with no explanation of why it failed (does this refer to a specific error? Is there a way to get to more information?)

Or if I strip the PDF down to the simplest of files, made of nothing but a series of JPGs it will often convert but then it will not show up in the Emulator (Kindle or any other, it's simply blank). But it will show up in the MobiReader :S

I'm not really sure what's happening here or what I'm doing wrong.

Do the JPGs have to be a very specific size and format?
Tef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Tef61
Tef61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Anyone? Are there even any references for just getting a plain image flattened PDF to convert with Mobipocket Creator?
Tef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tef61 View Post
Anyone? Are there even any references for just getting a plain image flattened PDF to convert with Mobipocket Creator?
What's in the PDF?

When you give Mobi Creator a PDF as input, it attempts to open it and extract the text and images, and generates an HTML file that it uses to build the Mobi book (a Mobipocket book is essentially encapsulated HTML).

It works fairly well for normal PDFs with text and illustrations, as long as the PDFs are single column without a lot of fancy formatting. For technical reasons, images in a Mobi book can't be larger than 64K in size, but Creator will attempt to resize things to fit.

If the PDF you are dealing with is simply a collection of images with no text, you may be feeding Creator something it can't deal with.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tef61 View Post
IOr if I strip the PDF down to the simplest of files, made of nothing but a series of JPGs it will often convert but then it will not show up in the Emulator (Kindle or any other, it's simply blank). But it will show up in the MobiReader
The emulator is old, and may not display JPGs (just GIFs). If it displays ok in Windows MobiPocket Reader it should also work on the Kindle. However, images are treated a bit differently on the Kindle, see Kindle Automatically Doubles Image Sizes.

If these ebooks are primarily JPGs then it may be better to start with HTML, rather than PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm experiencing this same problem with a PDF that is mostly text, no special formatting, and a few small pictures placed between some paragraphs.

Also, does anyone understand the point of (your username)@free.kindle.com? I e-mailed the PDF to this address and after a few minutes, received a PDF back to me...the same PDF with no changes. I thought we would receive a Kindle version of the file?
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanskin View Post
Also, does anyone understand the point of (your username)@free.kindle.com? I e-mailed the PDF to this address and after a few minutes, received a PDF back to me...the same PDF with no changes. I thought we would receive a Kindle version of the file?
See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200140600 for details on the service. It does state PDF conversion is experimental, and may not work as desired.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
vevel
vevel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard, android phone, PC
I believe you need to use a message subject of 'convert' in the email.
vevel is offline   Reply With Quote