Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on modyfing Kindle Fire's software in any way (rooting, sideloading etc)?
Yes, I love freedom to tinker 56 46.28%
No, I love the walled garden 65 53.72%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Smile

I answered yes ut id like to clarify: I will be tinkering but I'm not planinnnng yo root the device. I have a jailbroken Iphone and I can already see that "messing about" with the fire is a lot easier/more accessible than on the Jo's walled garden in terms of access to non-store approved 3rd party options. Plenty messing to be done here without necessity to root.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
I don't consider sideloading to be on the same plane as rooting. Probably this poll should have 3 choices: rooting, sideloading, and walled garden. The lovely thing is that Amazon left a gate open in that walled garden. So I've sideloaded Getjar and some outside apps. I've got GO Launcher so I can switch between Amazon's Home Page and the Android-look Home Page easily, depending on what I'm trying to get to. And that's part of what I'm loving about the Fire vs a Nook Color rooted with an N2A card (which I also have) - much easier to tap an icon than to turn on & off to switch between modes.

So I too voted that yes, I'll be sideloading, but I'm not rooting.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I have loaded apps not part of the amazon store, but have no intention to alter or root my Fire.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
venussuz
Part time techie
venussuz began at the beginning.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Aside from the bugs, I think overall the Fire is a pretty well organized device and the interface is growing on me. Normally I'm a tinkerer, but in this case I'm going to leave it pretty much stock for the forseeable future. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm going to be side-loading a lot of apps or installing the Android Market - frankly I don't like the idea of having to constantly check to see if apps need updating, or bothering with apps that aren't compatible. And the Amazon App Store is a pretty good experience. Eventually I'm sure it will be a much bigger store once developers realize the size of the market they'll be reaching.
I couldn't agree more. I voted 1 because I want the ability to sideload apps, tho I don't think there will be much need for that as more apps get approved for the Fire. The UI is very functional as is, so no need to install Cyanogen or other mods. Loving this device.
venussuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I really hate when people say walled garden. The only thing walled is the amazon app store. But as others have said, you can still side load apps. I personally love this "walled garden" and I continue to refer to anything outside of the app stores as flea markets. I prefer my apps to go through a quality control system. There is nothing wrong with that. My devices, iOS included, are still very capable, and as I have in previous posts I can prove anyone wrong that says I can't do certain things with my devices. So in effect, with the various apps I have on either the Fire or iOS, my devices are actually quite open. I'm still learning the Fire, as it is brand new to me as well as Android, but I can do everything I need on it.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
I'm gonna get some sideloading apps, but I'm not interested in rooting my kindle or what so ever...
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #22
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I am only sideloading.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #23
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I'love to spend my money in Amazon's "walled garden" but being a European User without a US credit card (so far) I am looking for options to get apps other than load .apk's from dubious sources...

Regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #24
xchaotic
xchaotic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505, kindle intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I'love to spend my money in Amazon's "walled garden" but being a European User without a US credit card (so far) I am looking for options to get apps other than load .apk's from dubious sources...

Regards,
Andy
I don't think that's much of a consolation, but I'm in a similar position and generally I find the copyright agreements in general, and this one in particular are rather unfavorable if you want to be early to the market and live outside of US

As for why I bundled sideloading and rooting together is with sideloading you can modify your Fire's behaviour to a huge extent. For someone who is a content or app developer, it's a moving target, that is a bit harder to aim for than one UI, resource availability etc - I've just started exploring the Android as the OS and I know how apps can cater for different screen sizes, CPUs, memory requirements etc, but to me, as content producer, that is something of a nightmare that shouldn't be.
With Kindle Fire I can seem the game changing enough that you can target a specific device, with a consistent config, unless of course everybody decides to tinker and change it completely
Now as to whether you want to produce a product that runs on everything, including you microwave (where are they btw) that's another discussion, for now I wanted to know what percentage of people are happy with the experience provided by Amazon and initially my gut feeling is that the group is large enough to bother...
xchaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've sideloaded a few things - Dropbox, the nook Android app

I don't plan to root or mess around too much with it unless I see it gives me some sort of awesome added capability.

The person who stuck Windows 3.1 on it though totally cracks me up. That is definitely somebody who likes to do things just because they can.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No rooting for me.

But with the helpful guidance of the members here, I have successfully sideloaded Mantano Reader, and ported over some of my epub books.

BTW the Mantano Reader is a great app! Really like its flexibility. And it is great to be reading epubs on a Kindle. Never thought that would happen...

Last edited by Donnageddon; 11-23-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added a "." to my ellipsis
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF something dont work Right out of Box for me I return it! I Just to Dumb to figure out the Root stuff!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
No rooting for me.

But with the helpful guidance of the members here, I have successfully sideloaded Mantano Reader, and ported over some of my epub books.

BTW the Mantano Reader is a great app! Really like its flexibility. And it is great to be reading epubs on a Kindle. Never thought that would happen...
I really like Mantano too. It's my main reader app. The Kindle one is just is too bright. Amazon could learn alot by looking at that app.

I like the Nook App reader as well if only the margins were wider.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I don't see the need for me to root. I've been able to load just about everything I'd like to load (within the device's capabilities). I was very pleasantly surprised that Amazon didn't lock it down tighter. This is a nice little unit for the price.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I wouldn't lump sideloading apps in the same category as rooting. The stock Fire allows you to sideload apps. No hacks are required, simply turn the switch on within settings.
I agree!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, kindle, root