Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #61
ytsejam1138
ytsejam1138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage and PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Use MrPI to install the hotfix packages when running "customer" firmware.
Ok, so I put the file Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install in the mrpackages folder. I then ejected the Kindle from my PC and ran ;log mrpi from the search bar. It appears to run and then reboot. Upon I reboot I tapped the KUAL icon and I still get the error message:

Application Error

"The selected application could not be started. Please try again."
ytsejam1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #62
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1138 View Post
Ok, so I put the file Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install in the mrpackages folder. I then ejected the Kindle from my PC and ran ;log mrpi from the search bar. It appears to run and then reboot. Upon I reboot I tapped the KUAL icon and I still get the error message:

Application Error

"The selected application could not be started. Please try again."
It sounds like you still have the old version of KUAL installed as well,

Connect to usb and remove KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 from documents folder if you have it.

Then see if re-installing the kaul with Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin through ';log mrpi' works

If it doesn't work, use the ';dm' command after you get that error to save the logs, and upload them so we can see what the reason it fails to open are.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #63
ytsejam1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
It sounds like you still have the old version of KUAL installed as well,

Connect to usb and remove KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 from documents folder if you have it.

Then see if re-installing the kaul with Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin through ';log mrpi' works

If it doesn't work, use the ';dm' command after you get that error to save the logs, and upload them so we can see what the reason it fails to open are.
Ok, I did that and it didn't even put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 back in documents after I re-installed KUAL. Logs are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs.zip (553.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #64
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, I did that and it didn't even put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 back in documents after I re-installed KUAL. Logs are attached.
Thas correct, once you update to 5.9.2, you can no longer use the azw version.

It should put a KUAL on your device though, just not the same kind.

MRPI is not working right on your device, this could be a problem with all 5.9.2.
Code:
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Checking jailbreak hotfix 1.14 nomax I
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::No KindleTool binary, aborting
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Failed to parse package, skipping
Code:
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Checking KUALBooklet v2.7 I
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::No KindleTool binary, aborting
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Failed to parse package, skipping
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Destroying package . . .
Can you re-install that nomax hotfix, by using 'update your kindle', not ';log mrpi' ?

After that try installing KUAL with ';log mrpi' and see if KUAL works.
( Please capture logs again after running this command again )

If it does not work, use this file to install KUAL ( if you have PW3 with serail G090G1 )- but please try the other steps first.
Attached Files
File Type: bin Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_G090G1.bin (46.9 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by coplate; 11-16-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #65
ytsejam1138

Quote:
Thas correct, once you update to 5.9.2, you can no longer use the azw version.

It should put a KUAL on your device though, just not the same kind.

MRPI is not working right on your device, this could be a problem with all 5.9.2.
Code:
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Checking jailbreak hotfix 1.14 nomax I
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::No KindleTool binary, aborting
171116:161310 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Failed to parse package, skipping
Code:
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Checking KUALBooklet v2.7 I
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::No KindleTool binary, aborting
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Failed to parse package, skipping
171116:162729 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Destroying package . . .
Can you re-install that nomax hotfix, by using 'update your kindle', not ';log mrpi' ?

After that try installing KUAL with ';log mrpi' and see if KUAL works.
( Please capture logs again after running this command again )

If it does not work, use this file to install KUAL ( if you have PW3 with serail G090G1 )- but please try the other steps first.
Still didn't work. New logs attached. The new bin you posted for my particular PW3 also did not work. Still getting the application error.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOGS 2.zip (395.7 KB, 316 views)
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #66
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Still didn't work. New logs attached. The new bin you posted for my particular PW3 also did not work. Still getting the application error.
I see in this log, that this file worked:
Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin

Then I see you tired to install 'Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_G090G1.bin' using ';log MRPI' and it still failed.

I do think MRPI is broken for all 5.9.2 code. This will take some time to fix.

I do not see a log of you putting that file on the root of the USB and installing it with 'update your kindle'

If your serial number does not start with G090G1, it will not work though, what does your serial start with, and I can make one that will work?

Eventually I will make one like 'nomax' that will work for all of them, but have not gotten around to it, since MRPI always worked.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #67
ytsejam1138

My Kindle does start with that serial. However, I tried to install the KUAL you posted via ;log mrpi by placing it in the mrpackages folder.

UPDATE: Just placed the G090G1 KUAL in the root directory, ran update my Kindle and I'm still getting the application error.

Last edited by ytsejam1138; 11-16-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #68
coplate
Guru

Quote:
My Kindle does start with that serial. However, I tried to install the KUAL you posted via ;log mrpi by placing it in the mrpackages folder.

UPDATE: Just placed the G090G1 KUAL in the root directory, ran update my Kindle and I'm still getting the application error.
Thanks, and you did remove the 'KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2' from your kindle?

When you look at your documents folder, you hsould just have 'KUAL.kaul'.

Make sure you are trying to open that one from your library, and not necessarly from your recent book on the home screen.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #69
coplate
Guru

Attached are nomax version of the kindletool installer and uninstaller, that shoudl work for all version of kindles up to KOA2.

You install these with 'Update your kindle'
Spoiler:

Code:
KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ../KindleTool-coplate/KindleTool/Release/kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5 -d 295 -d 296 -d 297 -d 298 -d 2E1 -d 2E2 -d 2E6 -d 2E7 -d 2E8 -d 341 -d 342 -d 343 -d 344 -d 347 -d 34A -O -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_converted.tar.gz Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_nomax_KOA2.bin

KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ../KindleTool-coplate/KindleTool/Release/kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5 -d 295 -d 296 -d 297 -d 298 -d 2E1 -d 2E2 -d 2E6 -d 2E7 -d 2E8 -d 341 -d 342 -d 343 -d 344 -d 347 -d 34A -O -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall_converted.tar.gz Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall_nomax_KOA2.bin
Old 11-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #70
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, and you did remove the 'KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2' from your kindle?

When you look at your documents folder, you hsould just have 'KUAL.kaul'.

Make sure you are trying to open that one from your library, and not necessarly from your recent book on the home screen.

I just tried using the new packages I attached in post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=69

I uninstalled KUAL, and clicked on KUAL in library, I got application could not be started.

I re-installed it and saw that KUAL.kual was the newest item in my documents folder on USB.
I ejected, and it opened form my library just fine.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #71
ytsejam1138

Got KUAL working. Thanks for all your help. A KUAL document finally showed up on the homescreen. It doesn't have a cover pic like the older one, but it loads fine now. Is there anyway to remove the older KUAL (the one with the egg pic) from showing up on the homescreen?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #72
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Got KUAL working. Thanks for all your help. A KUAL document finally showed up on the homescreen. It doesn't have a cover pic like the older one, but it loads fine now. Is there anyway to remove the older KUAL (the one with the egg pic) from showing up on the homescreen?
I had thought that deleting it from the usb drive would make it go away, but you are right, it is still there.

Looking at other files that had the same date as my KUAL.azw3 version, I see <usb>\developer that has the thumbnail in it.

Removig that does not remove the old KUAL, it just changes it away from the Egg Icon, to the authors names.

It looks like the 5.9.2 update has made it so we cannot remove this from the home page without a reset - or at least no way I have seen yet.

If you install usbnet, there is certainly some way to do it from teh command line, but I don't know how yet.

@knc1 has noted the same issue here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=17
Old 11-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #73
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
I also still have 2 different copies of kual, even though I deleted the old one from the documents folder. But everything works fine on my pw3 (i'm the OP https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291734 ) and my custom screensavers and kual work fine on 5.9.2

I also have USB networking installed, so if you need help debugging that issue I can run a few tests.
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I had thought that deleting it from the usb drive would make it go away, but you are right, it is still there.

Looking at other files that had the same date as my KUAL.azw3 version, I see <usb>\developer that has the thumbnail in it.

Removing that does not remove the old KUAL, it just changes it away from the Egg Icon, to the authors names.

It looks like the 5.9.2 update has made it so we cannot remove this from the home page without a reset - or at least no way I have seen yet.

If you install usbnet, there is certainly some way to do it from the command line, but I don't know how yet.

@knc1 has noted the same issue here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=17
With the vastly increased size of /var/local (it is now big enough that they can use it as download workspace - thereby avoiding our "OTA blocking efforts" - one of my recommended changes I had published here) there have probably been changes to the structure and number of databases. *

Someone with command line access to their KOA2, please make /var/local the current directory, dump the schema of each *.db, quote as code and post somewhere - either here or make yourself a Wiki page for it.
Be sure the source of the dumps are well identified - model, firmware version, etc. etc.

Ref:
http://www.sqlitetutorial.net/sqlite-dump/
A pretty good guide, just scroll down to the "dump table structure" section.
That command line tool is pre-installed on your Kindle.
That set of information will probably be basic to solving this and other problems.

How is this related to the topic?
That thumbnail view stuck on the front of my PW3 might be now stored in one of those database files - since you can't beat it away with a big stick taken to USB storage.

[rant]
(*) No, Amazon/Lab126 does not send me a consultant's check when they adopt one of my recommended changes to their system.

That is right up there on my list of things to hate along with people/organizations that plagiarize Open Source work, without credit, for the purpose of closed source, for profit, projects.

[/rant]
(Did I ever mention, I hate BBcode also. It is worse than even writing Postscript by hand (which is what people did before there where editor programs that would write it for you.) )

Last edited by knc1; 11-18-2017 at 07:33 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #75
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Updated NOMAX hotfix version on 5.9.2 firmware?

Quote:
Here is a hotfix build that shoudl work on all currently known touch models, up to software version 5.8.10. As long as the device has been jailbroken.

This is a version of the Hotfix for touch devices that will run on normal software versions ( not just the factory ). I have verified on my PW3 that the jailbreak itself remains through the rest process, but I needed this package to re-install the hotfix.

Spoiler:

Code:
Made with this command

$ KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ./kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5 -O -s 0   Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin

$ ./kindletool convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     3202090020

I have forked kindletool to allow me to retain software type FC04, and set all these values.

Hi, I would like to know if you have already developed an updated version of NOMAX hotfix that works on PW3 firmware version 5.9.2 ?? Or if its ok to use the hotfix version you created named NOMAX hotfix 5.8.10 ?? on my PW3 already JB with firmware 5.9.2
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote