Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #61
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Even though I choose an iPhone as my daily driver...I think I can fairly rate Android devices. Even though I’d never pay “iPhone money” for an Android device...or none so far
I'd never pay iPhone money for an iPhone either! Holy cow, are those things overpriced. Ditto for the high end Samsung phones. I can't understand the mentality of someone willing to pay that much for a phone. Including my wife - I asked her why, and one of the things she pointed to was a little animated talking pile of poop. Really? That's worth over a grand to you?!

I consider all smartphones to be toys, all tablets to be toys, and most laptops to be toys (until you get a really powerful one with external monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. - basically turn it into a desktop system) If I want to do something important, that's always done on a well equipped desktop computer. Running Linux. I do have the other toy stuff as well, and use it, but I don't spend the money for a high end toy. Midrange to low end is where toys should be priced IMHO. A Fire HD8 is the perfect toy tablet for me. It does everything a toy needs to (would be nice if it had built in GPS, but oh well). And the whole tablet costs less than a charging cable made by the iToy company.

I'm sure some people have non-toy use cases for their tablets and smartphones, but I don't.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #62
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I picked up a HD8 yesterday. They are now on sale for 59 bucks, so I did. I have a 2017 fire 7 with a cracked screen. I had quit using it for reading but still used it for an android app for controlling media on a blu ray player (only android available not IOS for that particular player.) To my surprise the old android app does not work on the new Fire HD8. It still works on the 7 so I'll keep that around just for that use. I would have thought the newer fire os would have been backward compatible with older android apps. But it's still a good reader. I also like downloading netflix movies and shows to it when I travel on planes.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
OMG! an iPad 1. well that was a beautifully well-built hardware specs disaster. Apple can stumble on its first devices in a line.

The current iPad 5, 6 or 7 are amazing tablets and are prices much better IMHO.
The iPad 1 could not even run a game that had a login to Facebook and the the Facebook app to login without crashing. It was that much of a disaster. Apple did not put in enough working memory. for what you got, the iPad was a disaster. You got substandard hardware that needed upgrading long before the iPad 2 came out.

I think the problem with Apple is that they decide when a device is not allowed to run the current iOS or iPad OS. And in a lot of cases, the hardware os fully capable, but Apple wants it running older OS just to get you to buy a new one. Look at Kobo, they keep updating older Readers with the current firmware because it works on those devices.

I have an iPhone 6s which I'm guessing won't be getting iOS 14 even though most likely, it would run iOS 14.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #64
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPad 1 could not even run a game that had a login to Facebook and the the Facebook app to login without crashing. It was that much of a disaster. Apple did not put in enough working memory. for what you got, the iPad was a disaster. You got substandard hardware that needed upgrading long before the iPad 2 came out.

I think the problem with Apple is that they decide when a device is not allowed to run the current iOS or iPad OS. And in a lot of cases, the hardware os fully capable, but Apple wants it running older OS just to get you to buy a new one. Look at Kobo, they keep updating older Readers with the current firmware because it works on those devices.

I have an iPhone 6s which I'm guessing won't be getting iOS 14 even though most likely, it would run iOS 14.
Funny, I just pulled out an old ipad1. For being new in the game at the time it was ok. It's been sitting in a drawer for about 6 years, I'm surprised it charges. It was horrendously slow, the Fire HD8 i just bought runs circles around it. But given all that, it was still a great reader.

I'm in the process of getting rid of old tablets/readers. I also have a kindle keyboard 2nd edition, that also has been sitting for about 6 years. It charged, but doesn't hold a charge. It and the ipad1 will be going to the best buy recycling bin I suspect. I charged them and reset to factory defaults and off they go. The iPad mini1 may also go.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #65
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I loved my iPad 1. Other than “doesn’t run Adobe flash” (remember when that was a big controversy?)

It was great for ebooks from the start. Great for pdf's. It did take time to handle every website....but no other tablet existed to say “this tablet handles websites so much better”.

There were no “this will replace your PC” expectations at first. It was a device between your phone and your computer. I upgraded to the iPad 3 two years later. Loved my iPad 1 during the entirety of its lifetime.

Yes....10 years later there are “good enough” tablets for less than $100...but there is the latest iPad Pros that are phenomenal
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Funny, I just pulled out an old ipad1. For being new in the game at the time it was ok. It's been sitting in a drawer for about 6 years, I'm surprised it charges. It was horrendously slow, the Fire HD8 i just bought runs circles around it. But given all that, it was still a great reader.

I'm in the process of getting rid of old tablets/readers. I also have a kindle keyboard 2nd edition, that also has been sitting for about 6 years. It charged, but doesn't hold a charge. It and the ipad1 will be going to the best buy recycling bin I suspect. I charged them and reset to factory defaults and off they go. The iPad mini1 may also go.
The iPad mini1 would make a good Reader if the software you want to run runs on iOS 9.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #67
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a 2017 I love it for reading comics, since the new one ups the sad card storage I just bought a new 512 gb card, I’m going to wait to see if they sell it for $99 on Black Friday and trade in my 2017 for a white one
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #68
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Ever since I got my Samsung Tab S2 8" tablet (a year ago), I have never used any e-ink reader including my beloved Kobo Glo HD. The screen resolution and contrast (and color, of course) is amazing. This tablet is older, which makes it much more affordable, but its performance still runs rings around the Fire tablets. And with the Moon Reader Pro software, the reading functionality is great.

I am pretty entrenched in the Apple universe, but for reading, the Tab S2 8" is great.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #69
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I can't understand the mentality of someone willing to pay that much for a phone. Including my wife - I asked her why, and one of the things she pointed to was a little animated talking pile of poop. Really? That's worth over a grand to you?!

You may win the funniest comment I've seen today.
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #70
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post

I am pretty entrenched in the Apple universe, but for reading, the Tab S2 8" is great.
It's hard to pay "iPad money" for reading. If I didn't use my tablet for so many other things...I'd not buy an iPad.

I'm sure the Tab S2 is better than the Amazon Fire Tab's...but even those Fire tablets are perfectly fine for reading - IMHO. Not so great for participating on this forum via the web.

My new "low cost love" is the 8" Onn Tablet from Walmart. Android 9.0 and pretty much exactly the same/equivalent to the Fire Tab 8 in ever other way. Cheaper "normal cost" than the Fire Tab HD 8....but let's see what Black Friday prices for each are.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #71
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
We know what the black Friday prices of Amazon devices will be. It is not a secret. Several web sites have published them all. The hd 10 will be 50 off ( pounds or dollars, depending on your country) so 99 not 149.
The fire TV 4k stick dropped from 50 to 30 in UK as an early Alexa only deal. , all I had to do was order it via Alexa, then disable my Alexa shopping again. 1st time I have seen Alexa only prices, but I expect it will not be the last time.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Is it just me....or are the Fire Tab 7/8 tablets NOT on sale?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Is it just me....or are the Fire Tab 7/8 tablets NOT on sale?
BF pricing:

Fire Tab 7 -- $30

Fire HD 8 -- $50

Fire HD 10 -- $100
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #74
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Its just you, price drops are predicted for 7 and 8 inch tires...
Starting Friday, November 22, 2019
Kindle Paperwhite - $84.99 ($45 saving)
Fire 7 Tablet - $29.99 ($20 saving)
Fire 7 Kids Edition- $59.99 ($40 saving)
Fire HD 8 - $49.99 ($30 saving)
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm sure the Tab S2 is better than the Amazon Fire Tab's...but even those Fire tablets are perfectly fine for reading - IMHO. Not so great for participating on this forum via the web.
I'm not sure if that's snobbery or prejudice. Easily over 90% of my participation in this forum is done on my Fire HD 8, and that includes editing and running the book club.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote