Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
A thoroughly enjoyable scifi thriller

I just finished Demarco’s "Into Armageddon (Ruler of Ashes)," Its a thoroughly enjoyable scifi thriller. IMHO, Demarco’s story and story-telling are on par with those of Stephen King and Michael Crichton.

The book starts at a slow burn, with a group of misguided individuals possessed of warped ideals, resources and the support of the government set on changing the world to their view of "better." The heat builds. Over time, their project becomes more twisted as they gradually lose control of the biological weapons they developed. I found myself fully engrossed by the story as it exploded into a worldwide Armageddon. Small groups of people band together to survive not just the destruction, but also the perpetrators --who are not done wreaking destruction-- as they take over the world.

DeMarco does a great job creating characters who are as real as people we all know. His descriptions of military equipment and techniques is on target, adding to the story's realism. Yet his story is more than collection of tools and techniques; he serves up a story with multiple strands of conflict. The characters are forced to take desperate measures to survive what had been unthinkable and work together to rebuild their lives and their country. The rebuilding sets the stage for further conflict as different groups struggle to shape the future to match their respective but disparate visions.

In sum, it’s an enjoyable survival story that that shows the reader a variety of pathways toward different visions of future.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Thanks for the recommendation! It looks like something I would enjoy. At $2.99, I'm trying the first book.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
JosephMiller
JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JosephMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have greatly enjoyed reading this book! The author developed the characters well and made them seem just like regular people complete with life stories that were carried along with th as they travelled through the book. I look forward to the continuation of this work.
JosephMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I tried the first book. It kept me going, but it felt a bit unpolished to me as it was like trying to sprint through a marathon. It felt like there needed to be some breaks from the constant action. It wasn't bad, but I chose not to continue.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
Writing an indie book.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy into the Armageddon. As an indie writer myself. I understand how hard it is to get support to "polish" the book, even when you make the attempt to do the right thing.

In my own case after spending 4k thinking I had a great editor, I was told by the editor I needed another one. It has taken me 3 years to find and afford the other editor, and still going through her changes. Why you may ask? Because as an Indie writer even if the story is good, publishers and agents, now, may not want to bother for reasons that have nothing to do with the book, like there is no social media following.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
action, dystopian sci fi, scifi, stephen king, thriller/suspense