Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I imagine it’s all tied up in gobility gook legalese having to do with rights to distribute which causes the layman to say “this makes no sense you’re utilizing the same system just send the best available match’ to which lawyers reply ‘but then we wouldn’t have jobs’.
THIS. I'm confident they could find a way to serve up different editions (might be easy, might be hard, but likely could be done technically), BUT I'd be willing to bet that legal agreements would prohibit this, and I'd bet the publishers aren't interested at all in making it easier to borrow books based on other library relate decisions they've taken.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I imagine it’s all tied up in gobility gook legalese having to do with rights to distribute which causes the layman to say “this makes no sense you’re utilizing the same system just send the best available match’ to which lawyers reply ‘but then we wouldn’t have jobs’.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
THIS. I'm confident they could find a way to serve up different editions (might be easy, might be hard, but likely could be done technically), BUT I'd be willing to bet that legal agreements would prohibit this, and I'd bet the publishers aren't interested at all in making it easier to borrow books based on other library relate decisions they've taken.
I got thinking about this after MGlitch's response and I'm pretty sure this is probably the issue. I guess that's one advantage of being able to download the actual edition that the library has on hand — but, then again, it appears that Amazon has been able to work around this problem somehow. I'm pretty sure what they offer on their bookstore won't always match the edition in the Overdrive library — maybe that's why the Overdrive library doesn't list an ISBN for Kindle books?

At any rate, it is what it is.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I’ve posted about a similar problem to this before. No matter what I did, the book would not download to my Kobo. IIRC I could download and sideload the ePub, but it never automatically synced to my Kobo. A lot of people made similar suggestions to the ones you were given. They weren’t bad suggestions, but they weren’t the solution. The issue was more complicated.

It turned out that the Overdrive database had an error. It *thought* the Kobo files weren’t there, but they actually weren’t. I had to involve the help of the library’s ebook department to reach out to Overdrive for me since Overdrive ignores us plebes. I may be recalling some of the details incorrectly, but if you search the forum here you can find the post. I couldn’t sync “Michael Vey” 1 & 2.

Fortunately, I also own a Kindle, so I get around this problem when it occurs. I skimmed across the past posts in this forum. Were you not able to download the epub through your library’s website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:30 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
In case anyone else is curious, I found Cootey's other thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3829006
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote