Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Glenn H
Glenn H began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Latitude D630
Format Conversion (MP3 to text)

Can anyone recommend a basic, reliable Mp3 to text application???
Glenn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Dragon Dictate" can certainly do it, but it's not cheap.

https://shop.nuance.co.uk/store/nuan...hoCdB0QAvD_BwE
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

As a Dragon user for more than 15 years now, I'd say it's DEFINITELY worth ever penny. The speech recognition keeps getting better and better, and as the effects of My CP continue to increase their toll on my typing, Dragon is my go to software. Its learning ability is even good enough to master my Kiwi-accented pronunciation of Hindi and Panjabi names. Dragon is the reason I gave up running dualboot systems several years ago, when I realised there was nothing in the Linux world that even came close. There still isn't sadly.

So if you're recording your own voice for later transcription, I'd say you can't go past Dragon. It's basically the only game in town, and it got there by crushing the opposition qualitatively.

Last edited by stuartjmz; 02-24-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that, Stuart. I'd heard that it was very good, but I've never seen it in action. Hopefully your recommendation will be of use to the original poster.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Dragon Dictate" can certainly do it, but it's not cheap.

https://shop.nuance.co.uk/store/nuan...hoCdB0QAvD_BwE
if you are dictating, the built in google features of an android phone do it (voice to text)very well for free.
my wife dictates almost all of her emails into her phone, and she amazingly figured out how to do it without asking me ( in fact am clueless as to the precise mechanics ). I know she is doing it when I overhear " comma", "fullstop" etc, which google converts to appropriate punctuation [fulllstop]
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
if you are dictating, the built in google features of an android phone do it (voice to text)very well for free.
my wife dictates almost all of her emails into her phone, and she amazingly figured out how to do it without asking me ( in fact am clueless as to the precise mechanics ). I know she is doing it when I overhear " comma", "fullstop" etc, which google converts to appropriate punctuation [fulllstop]
The same is true on an iPhone, but I get the impression that the OP wants to convert MP3 files (audiobooks, perhaps?).
Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The same is true on an iPhone, but I get the impression that the OP wants to convert MP3 files (audiobooks, perhaps?).
i think you are correct, but as you mentioned dragon dictate...
[ which is probably misnamed and probably does far more than just dictation? well it ought to, given its price and given how good the free iphone / android options are nowadays.
I recall looking at Dragon for windows a while back and it had a scary price, draconian + frustrating copy protection and mixed reviews [ those last 2 tend to correlate ]. i was off put enough not to bother - it appearsed to be not easy to get it to play nice with MS office, also, which would have been the intended use
Old 02-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
[ those last 2 tend to correlate ]. i was off put enough not to bother - it appeared to be not easy to get it to play nice with MS office, also, which would have been the intended use
That's odd. I've never used Dragon Dictate, as such, but Dragon Naturally Speaking's integration with MS Office was seamless, back when I still used MSO. It works just as well with LibreOffice now. I'm also not sure what the "frustrating copy protection" you refer to is, either. Dragon will import from mp3 (the OP's original query) or wav. Its inbuilt text editor is RTF, hardly frustrating copy protection. The RTF files I generate in Dragon (normally by direct dictation, occasionally by transcription from a recorded source)
, I always open in other word-processing apps for final formatting and proofing - LibreOffice and GoogleDocs have no problem opening them.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
That's odd. I've never used Dragon Dictate, as such, but Dragon Naturally Speaking's integration with MS Office was seamless, back when I still used MSO. It works just as well with LibreOffice now. I'm also not sure what the "frustrating copy protection" you refer to is, either. Dragon will import from mp3 (the OP's original query) or wav. Its inbuilt text editor is RTF, hardly frustrating copy protection. The RTF files I generate in Dragon (normally by direct dictation, occasionally by transcription from a recorded source)
, I always open in other word-processing apps for final formatting and proofing - LibreOffice and GoogleDocs have no problem opening them.
I have a wonk shoulder (left side) which is my non-dominant, and thus, mousing, arm. Around 3 each day or so, it simply gives up the ghost. I've been using Dragon natSpeak for ages, and it works QUITE well. I don't have issues with it and Office, TBH. I have more issues with it and other apps, like Skype (which yes, is now a MS product) TMs/chats.

I don't know bupkus about DDictate, but the NatSpeaking app is a godsend. And, yes, I love Google's Voice-rec tech, too. Just because I loathe trying to text, lol. (What's that guy in that movie say, "Machete don't text?" Yup, that's me, lol.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

"frustrating copy protection": what I read at the time were reports of people struggling to jump through various hoops to activate the naturally Speaking product, despite buying it legitimately. it's been a while so I don't recall all the details* google has a great memory though!
maybe it used a dongle or some such, or had very limited activation for people with 2 or more PCs. what I do recall is that -ve reviews dissuaded me from buying. This was 3 - 4 years ago. maybe it's different now. Possibly the office integration was an issue with only some versions of office. We still use 2007, I never never seen the need to get a more recent version, and the modern idea of paying an annual subscription instead of owning some installation CDs does NOT appeal.

* but I never tried it personally. When i buy software i expect it to run on all of my equipment, not just one chosen box. Apart from anti virus, I will not knowingly buy a licence that restricts use to one device

I also have a dodgy shoulder/mouse hand but I have noisy budgies and lovebirds who would love to help with a dictation program