Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Indeed -
Spending all of that AD revenue has become more than a full time job for them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #62
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
This forum has only few active contributors.
Geekmaster is one of them.
If moderators prompts them to leave for this trivial matters, this forum will die sooner or later
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
If moderators prompts them to leave for this trivial matters, this forum will die sooner or later
No one prompted anyone to leave. GeekMaster said he was going to take a vacation and that was encouraged. At the time other than suspension it was the only solution seeing the wiki problem escalated his Asperger's condition and things just seem to be getting out of hand. It's the only logical solution was to step away because no one can fix the problem right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
geekmaster responded inappropriately to an unfortunate situation and continued to do so after a request to stop. He is welcome to post the PM he got from me, so that people can see how rude I was(n't). The moderators are only trying exercise some needed restraint; it would be best if everyone let this go. Fanning the flames achieves nothing at all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A quick reminder that it's always a good idea to check for PMs every now and then.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #66
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You only get a popup about receiving a PM the first time you load a page after it got sent, in my experience.

Fortunately, PMs also appear in your User Control Panel, which I check regularly -- so I don't usually miss them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Kindle Battery Surgery [Success!]

PMs are easy to miss if you only use Tapatalk. You have to train yourself to spot the dot on the homepage notifying you that you have one. Of course, that's hardly MobileRead's responsibility.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #68
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From GM's description, it could be almost anything on the storage side of the board recovered from a dead Kindle battery.

Say for instance, two, 2.7 volt rated capacitors in series (rated maximum voltage 5.4 volts) that never get charged beyond 4.2 volts by the Kindle's battery management.

Any pair of the ones described in the attachment would be interesting to try.

1,000,000 charge-discharge cycles (many more when not charged to the limit) -
minimum 10 year life (probably more in this sort of application - since the Kindle battery management will not completely charge or discharge the capacitor pair).
Take off from Kindle - put on external charger - recharge them in under 20 seconds.

A capacitor diameter of 60mm is going to make a noticeable lump in the zipper case.

An interesting experiment - someone give it a try and write it up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maxwell_K2Series_DS_1015370-4-341196.pdf (790.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #69
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZjsBkroRq.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	149317
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
- - - - -
A capacitor diameter of 60mm is going to make a noticeable lump in the zipper case.
So the obvious solution would be a 3,600 farad, 4.2 volt, supercapacitor the general dimensions of a Kindle and as thin as possible.

You will not find that in any distributor's catalog, but:

If you click on the 'view on YouTube' button, you will find that our "Kindle Friend", Jane Tizzy, has placed her notes on making such a device in the comments section.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #71
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Warning: If you are offended by anybody saying anything good about themselves, please skip this post. A friend told me that sharing too much too soon "puts people off", but I have been here for years, and I have so much left to share, and our time goes by much too quickly; a tiny speck in the cosmos for a brief moment of eternity, so time is of the essence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Ah. Embedded astro. Suddenly the reason for the skill level, and the extreme skill at bodging and making do, becomes clear. [...] Rocket science, as the sadly spun-to-death Hitomi recently showed us, really is rocket science.
Check out the last paragraph (quoted below) of this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooling the boyz at SpaceX!

http://i.imgur.com/pitwkOW.jpg Geekmaster schooling the boyz at SpaceX! That's their engine on display over on the right, they started talking some high level rocket engine stuff and I want to tell you what, but geek is under all kind of nda top secret government stuff and probably I already have exposed too much.
Actually, though my code does run in "bare metal" embedded systems all over the world (and probably touched your food), my name is just one of many in the Mars rovers. Nothing special there -- though my code DOES control fuel flow at a major oil tanker shipyard and refinery in Greece.

Here is more from that guy who posted about me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just on a different level
Anyways geek is the nicest, sweetest guy, not an evil hurtful bone in his body, none of the visciousness I have shown at times in the past. He gives me a big ole hug and I immediately feel like I got my dad hanging there with me and so gentile and friendly.

So anyways me and geek start hanging out, going to all the kewl shit. He goes to the oculus booth and says its me the geekmaster and some girl bows showing much respect, we go to the spacex booth, he gets us some shirts, and he starts correcting the space rocket engineers there on the rocket they are showing (with some real technical stuff way over my head, I am truly humbled and I think the spacex guy he was talking too was too) [...] We went to the sixsense booth, yei tech, stem, everyone knew the geek and the top folks wanted to talk to him. He got a special VIP invite to the Sulan booth so that he wouldn't have to wait in line, wow I was with Royalty.
Yeah, Sulon gave me a special "VIP Card", and upon showing it they put me at the front of the line. Most other CEOs and owners stick me in their demos immediately too, even with very long lines. I am rather well-known in certain Silicon Valley circles, and I get special recognition and treatment wherever I go (as I always have, since childhood). I am a lot more famous in other forums than here, but even here I get some recognition (though not all positive). I am in great pain right now, so please forgive anything you may think, and treat me with tolerance (or just ignore me), if you cannot show respect. Thanks...

EDIT: Back when SpaceX begged me for my resume, I told them they could not afford me. Yeah, really. But times have changed, and I could use a job in Rocket Surgery right about now...

EDIT2: And this old Irish proverb: "Plan to live forever, but live each day is if it is your last!"

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2016 at 08:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #72
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From GM's description, it could be almost anything on the storage side of the board recovered from a dead Kindle battery.

Say for instance, two, 2.7 volt rated capacitors in series (rated maximum voltage 5.4 volts) that never get charged beyond 4.2 volts by the Kindle's battery management.

Any pair of the ones described in the attachment would be interesting to try.

1,000,000 charge-discharge cycles (many more when not charged to the limit) -
minimum 10 year life (probably more in this sort of application - since the Kindle battery management will not completely charge or discharge the capacitor pair).
Take off from Kindle - put on external charger - recharge them in under 20 seconds.

An interesting experiment - someone give it a try and write it up.
I tried a large electrolytic capacitor (tiny by supercap standards). It needed a precharge for the kindle to see the "battery" (so the amber charging LED lights). USB does not supply sufficient power, so the cap discharges and the LED turns off a few seconds after the capacitor is attached and it begins to boot. I have not connected to the TTL serial port yet, but I suspect it should emit at least some info before the cap goes dead. Lots of farads are essential for a supercapacitor LiPo replacement. I have been following Robert Murray-Smith's youtube vids for quite some time. Great stuff, and super fascinating for geeks like me (and you and Jane).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Jane tells me she has started ordering chemicals and glassware and all sorts of technical stuffs . . . .

Which either means more clutter in her house, or she'll get that experimental SC she outlined out of the comments and into its own video.

- - - -

Will some robber ever get a surprise if they dump the closet shelf with all of her chemical stuff stacked on it.

or maybe just a sign on the door:
quote:
Authorized Persons Only
Remains of others not returned to kin.
end-quote

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

For those interested in knowing more about Jane Tizzy, I'll give some hints:
She is related to Frank Frenzy and distantly related to the Doe family (as in: Jane Doe).

= = = Seriously, and actually on-topic (I must have screwed up) = = =

For those who do want to try making their own SuperCapacitor, but don't want to fiddle with making all of the components - -

You already have a solution of graphene nano platelets -
The e-ink in your Kindle screen.

Paint (or print) onto metal collectors, use chemistry filter paper as the separator with either salt water or Lithium Sulfate (which may be in your anti-mania pills)/Water as the ion coupling, package as desired.
== a 4.2 volt SuperCapacitor (when using Lithium Sulfate solution - 1.9 volt if salt water)

= = = = =

Your display screen will not be of much use after draining the e-ink, but at least you will have bragging rights to a SuperCapacitor powered Kindle.

= = = = =

Note: Graphene nano platelets are retailing for about $50 USD a gram.
All of those broken Kindle screens just went up in value.

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
For those who do want to try making their own SuperCapacitor, but don't want to fiddle with making all of the components - -

You already have a solution of graphene nano platelets -
The e-ink in your Kindle screen.

Paint (or print) onto metal collectors, use chemistry filter paper as the separator with either salt water or Lithium Sulfate (which may be in your anti-mania pills)/Water as the ion coupling, package as desired.
== a 4.2 volt SuperCapacitor (when using Lithium Sulfate solution - 1.9 volt if salt water)

= = = = =

Your display screen will not be of much use after draining the e-ink, but at least you will have bragging rights to a SuperCapacitor powered Kindle.

= = = = =

Note: Graphene nano platelets are retailing for about $50 USD a gram.
All of those broken Kindle screens just went up in value.
But the eink is encapsulated in beads, which would need to be melted or dissolved. And some eink technologies claim to use both black and white charged particles, but we already know how to electophoretically separate them if we need to.