Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Last move mishap

Hi

I have been a user of the Calibre editor from its beginning, but you can always trust me to get bitten...

I was proofreading a book, and inserting a lot of corrections coming from a text page. After about one hundred of them (I had the feeling I had been saving my work from time to time), I just did a bad move and suppressed some words.

Instinctively I hit the back button (à la LibreOffice) and was suddenly pushed back to the opening of the session. All my inserted corrections were gone (about one hour work). Of course, it's written. I am guilty. Yes.

I think many users would be happy to be able to come back one step at a time. If we could choose in the Preferences the behaviour of this tricky back button (between last step OR last session), it would be a small step forward for civilization...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

I have been a user of the Calibre editor from its beginning, but you can always trust me to get bitten...

I was proofreading a book, and inserting a lot of corrections coming from a text page. After about one hundred of them (I had the feeling I had been saving my work from time to time), I just did a bad move and suppressed some words.

Instinctively I hit the back button (à la LibreOffice) and was suddenly pushed back to the opening of the session. All my inserted corrections were gone (about one hour work). Of course, it's written. I am guilty. Yes.

I think many users would be happy to be able to come back one step at a time. If we could choose in the Preferences the behaviour of this tricky back button (between last step OR last session), it would be a small step forward for civilization...
Question did you use Edit → Revert to....:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-06 10-05-59.png
Views:	164
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	170043

(Edit → Revert to.... will default to start of session if you have now created any checkpoints.)

or Edit → Undo?

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-06 10-07-41.png
Views:	179
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	170044

Edit → Undo will undo the last editing action taken.

Clinking the back arrow in the code will go back one action for the file that is currently open.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-06 10-13-52.png
Views:	178
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	170045.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bernie - Roger64 wrote "I hit the back button"

On your screen shots I assume that would be the green left pointing chevron under View, which is Revert to last checkpoint, or session start if no checkpoints have been set.

To remind me they are related to checkpointing I replaced the three checkpoint button icons with these:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	170051

Not that I use them, I hide button bars wherever I can

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-06-2019 at 05:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

Thank you for these comments. Yes, I hit this wrong button without thinking twice (even once).

I use it so few that I had forgotten its dangerousness. I should indeed have looked for the menu entry "Undo". The problem is that it is translated in French by "Restaurer" . It is a very imprecise translation which obviouly does not help. Restaurer une maison means building a house anew. "Retour" would probably be more understandable. Also, the fact that it's dimmed every time you open a book does not help because you cannot see when it becomes active.

If I could customize my GUI, I would gladly make them switch their place for frequency of use reasons:
- I would use the chevron (see arrow in the screenshot) to Undo
- I would use only a menu entry for coming back to the beginning of the session (which is an extraordinary step).
It would be much less dangerous for brain dead people. I know there are some of them...

I'll have to learn (and remember) Ctrl Z.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	danger.png
Views:	165
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	170053   Click image for larger version

Name:	undo?.png
Views:	186
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	170054  

Last edited by roger64; 03-06-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
. . .
If I could customize my GUI . . .
You can change the button icons by putting replacement (same name) images into the sub directory .../resources/images in the configuration directory; you may need to create the sub directory. You get the names by inspecting the similarly named directory in the install directory i.e. .../app/resources/images

The attached zip contains my red pins that replace back, forward, and mark.

Aside: it would be nice if the editor and viewer had their own set of images.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip redpins.zip (72.1 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-06-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can change the button icons by putting replacement (same name) images into the sub directory .../resources/images in the configuration directory; you may need to create the sub directory. You get the names by inspecting the similarly named directory in the install directory i.e. .../app/resources/images

The attached zip contains my red pins that replace back, forward, and mark.

Aside: it would be nice if the editor and viewer had there own set of images.

BR
Thanks for this tip. I use Linux and I did not find these directories in the Calibre config file.

Using the Calibre editor Preferences, I just took out this chevron button from the toolbar and, for the time being, I'll make do with Ctrl Z.

Last edited by roger64; 03-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for this tip. I use Linux and I did not find these directories in the Calibre config file.

Using the Preferences, I just took out this button from the toolbar and, for the time being, I'll make do with Ctrl Z.
Many directories don't exist by default. You create them 'as needed'
The config folders is the first place Calibre checks. If it finds an item there, that is what is used. If not, then it gets the item from the programs version of the folder.
The folder Trees will have some of the same folders in the exact same order (deep)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
As I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Ψ

BR