Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #136
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
External USB Keyboard compatibility

Hi,

I would like to be able to connect a external keyboard by usb to a pocketbook so I can type properly. I prefer this to bluetooth due to 1) battery recharging complications 2) the additional emf pollution while I'm trying to write 3) keyboard availability.

I know you are going with bluetooth, but please consider adding usb connectivity to all models.

Thank you,
Andrew
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #137
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewed View Post
I know you are going with bluetooth, but please consider adding usb connectivity to all models.
Hi Andrew.
I am not PocketBook staff but I can answer your request.

There are two types of USB connectors.
- USB guest. This is what cameras, card readers, USB memory sticks, USB mice, USB keyboards have.
- USB host. This is typically found on a PC.

You can connect USB guest type device (memory stick) only to a USB host device (PC).
You can not connect two PCs together by USB cables to copy data. (well, it can be done, you just have to use third device with two USB guest type connectors)
You can not connect two USB guest devices, because one of devices has to provide 5V DC and USB guest devices can not do that.

PocketBook 602, 603, 902, 903 only have USB guest type connector. That means they can be connected to a PC to upload data, but you can not connect other peripherals to those e-book readers.
So there will never be external USB keyboard functionality for those models.

Devices that feature BOTH types of connectors are very rare. Some very fancy and expensive (think military spec.) pocket computers have both types of connectors.
Also PocketBook 302 is very special, because it has USB guest connector (so it can be connected to a PC to load it with data) and it also has USB host connector, so you can connect USB memory stick to the reader.

Once upon a time me were told that it would be possible, in future, to connect USB keyboard to PB302. Much later (but still long time ago) we were told that there IS application in internal beta testing that can use external USB keyboard to take notes. So far we haven't seen such application.

Perhaps now, that 602 ... 903 models are almost finished, and 15.3 firmware for 360 and 301 is in the last stages of public betatesting our dear Roskietvook will spare a developer or two to finish this feature for PB302 (Also Known As Unwanted Stepchild)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #138
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Isn't the pocketbook 302 acting as a host when I plug in my thumbdrive?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #139
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Isn't the pocketbook 302 acting as a host when I plug in my thumbdrive?
Yes, it is. Look at the previous post.
302 is the only PocketBook so far (and the only e-ink reader, as far as I know) to have USB host capability.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #140
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Completely missed that line! Thanks!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #141
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
In the virtual keyboard part of the 902, a 'clear complete line'. Clearing the Libris HTTP line takes forever and a day

A RSS function for the 902

When no clearing option a simple way to get the clean browser running, without the http stuff of libris, pretty please
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #142
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Does the 701 have usb host?
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #143
pjeanetta
pjeanetta began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Possibility to filter out "Fully Read Books" from Last Open List

Dear Developers,
it happens that I read a lot of small stories together with "heavier" books - and those short stories fill my "last open"-list completely, so that I don't see other books anymore. The books stay in the Last Open even if they are already read till last page - so I'm quite often having a "dead" Last Open list.

I Know I could use "Favorites" - but to go there I have to return to main page, where Last Open is accessible from current book (if I map the Power button accordingly).

And I don't want to delete books - I may return to them later.

So I suggest to have a feature to not show "fully read" books in the "Last Open" list; or any other similar possibility.
pjeanetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #144
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
902, Menu language in Korean?

It seems that some people in Korea purchased Pocketbook Pro 902 and, with no doubt, they want to see the title of Korean files in Korean language. Please, add Korean language to the menu language list. This will raise the possibility that I and other Koreans purchase your products in the near future. Thanks.

PS... I thought there is a margin-cut function in the PDF viewer of 902 but it seems not. Am I right?
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #145
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Thumbs up Support for .lit format +Vote!

Yes Please, the more supported formats, the more ebooks available!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
VOTE!
only 3 votes to go.
Please, please, pretty please Lit support would be great.

You got my vote for this one as well.
PocketBook might start by translating the existing docs from Russian to English ;-)

Vote again.

This would be nice to have.
You get a half vote for this one.

You got my vote again.
Does it make four votes already?
Pretty please ...
;-)

Oh ...
Did I mention LIT support?
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #146
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Thumbs up Highlighting and Note Taking

I agree with the need for both of these. Using my old ereader, I don't have the ability to do anything like this, can't even add bookmarks, so being able to create notes, highlight words or sections, and create bookmarks to get back to those notes or highlights would be a world-class feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessEC View Post
I agree.

Another great thing, in my opinion, would be to see the feed notes in the same page, not as final notes but I don't know if this is possible.
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #147
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
.lit is a proprietary format owned by Microsoft. I don't think we'll see an implementation on PB hardware any time soon. Luckily a conversion with Calibre to, say, epub is really a non-issue.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #148
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Luckily a conversion with Calibre to, say, epub is really a non-issue.
Have you *tried* to use Calibre to convert from .lit?

It takes forever. In some cases I have been waiting 25 minutes for a single file to convert. Then I stopped the conversion and used commandline utility called convertlit. With convertlit the same file takes a few seconds. When I asked Kovid, he said that Calibre checks for more things and his conversion does better job and that he is satisfied with the speed of conversion. So I installed lit2epub package and wrote shell script that converts all .lit files in directory.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #149
GregD212
GregD212 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Real Dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
A real dictionary! Not a translation dictionary, but one to look up words in that is more current than 1913. I'd pay for this.

-Marcy
One of the reasons I bought an e-reader was to look up words that I did not know the meaning of as I was reading. I am disappointed that what was advertised as a dictionary is actually a translator. Why would you need a translator anyway? Please find a way to replace the translator with a dictionary or add one.
Thanks

Last edited by GregD212; 12-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
GregD212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #150
gfleming
gfleming began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Getting on the internet via USB port.

Glenda
gfleming is offline   Reply With Quote