Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
victoryhollow
fiction-enthusiast
victoryhollow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Current Firmware Version of New Paperwhite or Voyage

So, I managed to mess up the jailbreak on my Kindle Paperwhite, which I bought new from Amazon.com around this time last year. Basically, I turned on wifi for the first time in ages without checking to see if the jailbreak needed to be updated (I didn't have the version that comes with the KUAL thing), and Amazon updated it to 5.6.x. I tried the jailbreak recovery, but it didn't work. So I tried resetting the Kindle, naively thinking that might roll it back to the version it was shipped with, but it didn't, it just erased all my content, PLUS all the jailbreak files from the main directory... I have 0 technical skills, and just jailbreaking it the first time was a headache, so it seems like that was basically game over for me on that Kindle.

Which is why I'm considering giving it to a family member and just buying a new one, with a lower, jailbreakable firmware. All I really want the jailbreak for is to change the screensavers and customize the fonts, but it's really important to me - I really hate all the fonts the Kindle Paperwhite comes with, and the screensavers are all incredibly ugly. I also am not happy with the way the Paperwhite manages collections when I have wifi off, constantly notifying me that things won't be synced to their cloud service, which I don't care about at all. So if the Kindle Voyage handles that differently, I'd probably that one instead.

So my questions are, what firmware does a new Kindle Paperwhite or Voyage from Amazon ship with, or where might I find one (new) with a lower firmware, and does the Voyage handle fonts/screensavers/collections any differently from the Paperwhite?

Thanks!
victoryhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Voyage and the PW2 use the same version 5.6.x firmware. Any new Voyage or PW2 will have 5.6.x firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I am afraid your only option if you want a Kindle you can customize without hardware modifications is to search eBay and other used markets for an older model unit. There are still plenty of them out there and you can get them at a good price if you are willing to wait a bit. I picked up a K3W on eBay for under $30 a few months ago as I wanted one I could customize.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your choices are:
*) A new one, plus find a friend or service shop that can open it up and jail break it for you.

or

*) A used Kindle, still running an earlier firmware that you can jail break using one of our JB packages.

The choice:
New and able to JB without technical skills does not exist.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Easy enough to buy a PW1, which can be jailbroken.
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
victoryhollow
fiction-enthusiast
victoryhollow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Okay, thanks. I think I might be better off trying a different ereader altogether, then...
victoryhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryhollow View Post
Okay, thanks. I think I might be better off trying a different ereader altogether, then...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-find-...8527954/g.html

I think anything before the PW1 can be jailbreaked. After that, watch out! Personally, I think I'd get a cheap soldering iron...If you decide to get a new e-reader, I'd personally recommend the Kobo H2O. I have an Aura HD, and the extra size is luxurious, a real upgrade. Also it can be hacked to death and has an absurd amount of font options. But be aware, you do have to frig around with it a bit to get it just right. It's not as easy to use out of the box as the Kindles. The new Glo HD is all right and well priced. It's pretty comparable to the PW2, though I think the light doesn't go down quite as far.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I think anything before the PW1 can be jailbreaked.
Anything before and including the PW1.

But, to be perfectly honest, if the OP isn't happy with the Kindle "out of the box", he probably would be better off with something else. I'd always buy a device on the basis of what it can already do, not on what you might be able to make it do in the future.

I agree that the Kobo H2O is a nice reader, although (at least on mine) the touchscreen wasn't nearly as accurate as that of the Kindle, which made tapping small hyperlinks such as those for footnotes, rather frustrating.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can the PW1 with the current firmware be jailbroken?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can the PW1 with the current firmware be jailbroken?
Yes, it can be.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Current firmware for the PW1 is 5.4.4.2.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Never having had a desire to jailbreak any device I've owned, I don't know whether that particular firmware version can be jailbroken, but I do know that the PW1 can be jailbroken, perhaps by installing an earlier firmware version first. But I'm 99.9% sure that there is a way to JB any PW1. I'm sure that one of our developers can supply details, if anyone needs to know more.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I am not mistaken, it's the 5.6+ firmware that's locked down tight.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I am not mistaken, it's the 5.6+ firmware that's locked down tight.
Correct. Which means the basic Kindle (whatever the hell Amazon call it now), the PW2, and the Voyage.