Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #826
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I cut the cord today.
Congratulations. I hope it works out for you.

Just about eight years for my family. We have saved about $9600 considering the bill we had in 2010. We still pay $50/month for high speed internet, but it is higher speed and uncapped. We also have a DVR on every television in the house, access from outside the home, and an on-demand library of stuff we actually want to watch. A couple years ago, I closely replicated the service I have using a Comcast 'skinny' offering and it came to $192/month. Using that number, the savings comes to $13,632. Even after discounting that by the cost of hardware, software, and services, the savings is more than $9,000. When we watch football on Sundays, the beers on Comcast.

The bottom line is that this is one more expense I have control of heading into retirement.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #827
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Congratulations. I hope it works out for you.
Where I live there's an old fashioned arcade called The Game Preserve. One of the machines they've just added is Wizard of Wor. Your user name and avatar just made me think of that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #828
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Where I live there's an old fashioned arcade called The Game Preserve. One of the machines they've just added is Wizard of Wor. Your user name and avatar just made me think of that.
Well, that was an excellent game on my Atari home computer. I loved playing that game with my wife and kids. Give it a go. Great game.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 AM   #829
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I cut the cord today.
Congratulations. You use that first gen Fire stick? My Fire Stick (2nd gen, I think, the one with voice remote) is really sluggish compared to my 2nd gen FireTV. Especially Sling takes forever to load a channel or switch channels on the stick. It has been condemned into living in a box now since the FireTV got moved into our bedroom. The new TV (a TCL RokuTV) in living room made the FireTV obsolete.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #830
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
1) I too had an Atari 1040 ST home computer. Bought it in '87 for about $750!

2) Actually, I cut the cord in 1991. I'm not a television watcher. A year ago Spectrum, my ISP, offered me their basic cable package for an extra $10 a month. I signed up to watch my Canadian league games on ESPN3.com. This month's bill surprised me with an increase for the TV to $35 a month. So I immediately called, and put an end to it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #831
wizwor
Wizard

I never had an ST. After the 8-bits, I went PC and DOS and all that. I'm not proud of that, but it supported my family (still does).

If I had purchased a 16 bit computer, it, no doubt, would have been an Atari ST, but, now, I would purchase an Amiga. I may still get one. It turns out the Amiga was the legitimate heir to the Atari 8-bit throne. Jay Miner developed the concept and Atari passed. Jay and the concept eventually became Amiga which was almost purchased/stolen by Atari but Commodore intervened and ended up developing an Atari computer called the Amiga.

http://lowendmac.com/2016/the-amiga-...-at-commodore/

The postscript to the story is that Jack Tramiel was fired from Commodore (just like Steve Jobs was fired from Apple). Jack bought Atari and developed the ST which I have heard was based on Commodore efforts and completed by Commodore engineers who went with Tramiel to Atari.

One more thing: Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were BOTH fired from Atari.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31624...ow-about-atari
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Number_40.php

Wozniak also worked for Atari...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...teve-Jobs.html

One more thing: GE almost bought Apple in 1996 but passed because they did not think Jobs would fit in at GE...

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/31...buyout-for-2b/

Now, let's have some Karma kids!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #832
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
New Fire TV Cube with built-in Speakers, bundled wired ethernet adapter, and IR blaster to control home theater audio systems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBTFNVA...F369T82JZVRSEB

Audiobooks supported. Should make for a high quality audio experience.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #833
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, I officially want one. And now I just need to figure out if I can make it work with my Telus set-top box. Somehow, I suspect it can be done. Though I'm equally sure it isn't supported.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #834
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, I officially want one. And now I just need to figure out if I can make it work with my Telus set-top box. Somehow, I suspect it can be done. Though I'm equally sure it isn't supported.
It might.
CNET has a hands-on preview and Amazon claims 90% of cable set top boxes.
If it doesn't now, it probably will soon.

https://www.cnet.com/products/amazon...-cube/preview/

It has a silk browser so the Kindle cloud reader should work. Useful for workouts.

Since Alexa can already control security systems, all it needs now is a skill to control external turrets.
Then they can rename Alexa as Skynet.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #835
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It might.
CNET has a hands-on preview and Amazon claims 90% of cable set top boxes.
If it doesn't now, it probably will soon.

https://www.cnet.com/products/amazon...-cube/preview/

It has a silk browser so the Kindle cloud reader should work. Useful for workouts.

Since Alexa can already control security systems, all it needs now is a skill to control external turrets.
Then they can rename Alexa as Skynet.
It might, but they also say they do NOT support Canada. And Telus is as Canada as you can get. So if it works, great. If it doesn't, I've still got a lot of other features I'll quite appreciate.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #836
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It might, but they also say they do NOT support Canada. And Telus is as Canada as you can get. So if it works, great. If it doesn't, I've still got a lot of other features I'll quite appreciate.
It if works like other universal remotes (Logitech, for instance) it is more a function of the hardware than the cable operator. So it will depend mostly on who made the decoder box and what IR codes they used.

BTW, the IR blaster and port are standard off the shelf parts, so the bundled blaster can be replaced with a multiheaded blaster. Also, the included voice remote works even though the Cube Microphones are switched off, so the paranoid can rest easy: it can be used solely on-demand, like the other FIRE TVs as well as always on, like the Echoes.

I have a Logitech universal remote but when it dies...
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #837
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
PreOrdered mine. I have an EchoDot connected to a nice BT speaker in my living room...and a fireTv connected to my TV.

I hope to connect the Fire Cube to my TV and Soundbar/Subwoofer. Much better sound. And Alexa for ordering my TV around. What's not to like? Plus I can repurpose the Echo to another room
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote