Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
What do you look for in an online publisher?

There are many new online publishing websites springing up now. You can upload your book, sell it, buyers can review it etc. Apart from the obvious – lots of readers and buyers - what do you think is a must have feature on any e-publishing website?
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I look at their fine print and make sure that they only want a non-exclusive license for ebook publication.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Isn't that pretty standard these days?

What about things like help with formatting that sort of thing?

Sorry for my ignorance, but as my old friend Albert Einstein used to say “Learning all the time”
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
Hi

Thanks for your response.

Isn't that pretty standard these days?

What about things like help with formatting that sort of thing?

Sorry for my ignorance, but as my old friend Albert Einstein used to say “Learning all the time”
Not really; one of Amazon's programs and Apple's special ebook software both require exclusivity for that work. I'm pretty sure Penguin Book Country does as well, on top of its being a vanity self- publisher trap.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

I hate it when people ask for exclusivity, but don't guarantee sales. I've been using a new website which is really user friendly and easy to navigate around etc. But it's a trade off, they're new so don't have the coverage just yet.
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I hate it when people ask for exclusivity, but don't guarantee sales. I've been using a new website which is really user friendly and easy to navigate around etc. But it's a trade off, they're new so don't have the coverage just yet.
Would appreciate if you could share their details if and when you feel happy to do so.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Hi Orlok

Yes I'd be pleased to give you their details, but I don't want to be accused of spamming, so I'll pm you if that's OK?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Hi Orlok

Yes I'd be pleased to give you their details, but I don't want to be accused of spamming, so I'll pm you if that's OK?
Yes that's great, thanks.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon are the "elephant in the room" of independent publishing. You can't afford not to publish on Amazon, and most authors seem to find that the overwhelming majority of their sales come from Amazon (95% or so in many cases, it seems).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I think what you really need when you find a publisher is an editor of sorts. Anyone can publish a book online, make sure the simple things like grammer and spelling are correct.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I look at cost and then I look at what ownership they publishing site takes of your work.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Oops, sorry Orlok, I'll pm you right now.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Shack, shouldn't you be doing that sort of thing yourself? I've seen many post here where people say even the best e-publishers can miss things or mess up your MS.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Shack, shouldn't you be doing that sort of thing yourself? I've seen many post here where people say even the best e-publishers can miss things or mess up your MS.
It's very difficult indeed to spot errors in your own work. There's a tendency for your brain to "see" what should be there, rather than what actually is there. Plus of course, not everyone is sufficiently familiar with formal grammar to be able to get it right themselves.

I'd always recommend (as you may have noticed ) the use of a professional editor, even if it's just to give your work a "once over" after you've gone through your own editing process.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Hi Harry

We've had this conversation before. lol. When I say yourself I mean getting an editor, friend, your mother, next door's dog to edit it for you.