Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
kdm_
kdm_ began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Angry V1.9 update fail. Now I have a rock...

I couldn't get the update for the Kobo Wi-Fi via Wi-Fi because it could not connect to my net as I don't broadcast an ssid. The V1.9 update was supposed to solve that and a number of other issues. I plugged in the usb cable and did an update via the desktop Kobo app. I had to force it via "Control + Shift + U".

Now the device will not start correctly; it displays the initial startup screen, but after the seven blocks start flashing in the lower right corner nothing else happens.

Windows can no longer see the reader unless I do a "power + menu" into usb mode. At that point the desktop Kobo software can't find the reader but windows can see a directory called ".kobo_upgrade".

I've read here about Kobo sending out SD card upgrades but I am not about to wait 2 weeks to see if that works. I first bought a non Wi-Fi version of the Kobo from Future Shop. It locked up on a cover image and could not be cleared by any means. I was convinced to exchange it for a Wi-Fi version at twice the price and this is the result.

So. Is there anything I can do for this thing in the next 24 hours like download an up to date OS image? From what I have gleaned from about 3 hours on this forum I doubt that. If not, I will have return this doorstop for refund (I'd really like to use it as a football and kick it up and down the alley but I can't afford to do that) and find something else. Alternative device suggestions are welcome. I can't imagine I could have made a worse choice.
kdm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
kdm_

I forgot to mention it took tries over about 100 hours to get the useless upgrade at all.
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
can you do a factory reset from the menu under advanced or use the hard reset on the back? That should reset the kobo to factory defults. Then make sure the time and date are correct when you go through the setup of the kobo. That should get you up and running again then load your books on.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
kdm_

It will not load so I can't see any menus. A hard reset just gets it to boot to the point where the 7 blocks move in the lower right corner.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
leave it plugged in for a while then try a factory reset again
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
kdm_

No luck. I took it back.

Tags
crap, fail, v1.9