Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Censorship.

The censorship in these forums has gone too far! There was a poorly disguised spam thread in the Freebies forum that was actually starting to turn into a pretty good discussion regarding Black Friday. Instead of merely deleting the link in the spam post, the mods deleted the entire thread. I originally came to the calibre forum to learn more about how to use calibre and I will continue to do so but I have had it with the heavy handed censoring that has been going on in the rest of the MR forums. Bye!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh, the drama!

Is this similar to the "You guys are mean and I'm never coming back, so don't even bother responding to me" line that people love to use?

Also, I do not think that word means what you think it means.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't think it's an evil plot against us.

No doubt a bunch of people reported the obvious spam. The mods saw it, saw the next few posts were people making fun of the spammer, and just deleted it just like they do all spam. Just a quick "Is it spam?" "Yep." "Nuke it."
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Can I cry out for attention too?
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Oh dear...

As I assist as a super moderator on a very large model aircraft forum, here is a mods point of view.

Mods do not do this sort of job on a full time basis rather donating their spare time. Thus they often do not have the time to spend editing a thread that might have tens of contentious postings. It simply becomes a far cleaner and less labour intensive option to simply delete the whole thread.

A mods job is often unsung and un-noticed. As a mod, I certainly like it that way.

However some form of recognition from time to time is a good thing. The mods here at Mobileread ride herd to thousands of members from very diverse backgrounds, with an equally wide variety of opinions and beliefs. They do it well, so hats off to them all!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I am pretty sure the moderators have a lot of work, and they do the best they can. However, that per se does not make them immune to criticism. And I do think they intervene too much. Delete a whole thread because of a link?

I see threads being closed by the most ridiculous of reasons. Sometimes i wonder if i came to a kindergarten for sensitive kids or a forum for adult people... If you kill the ability of people to say what they think without resorting to politically correct inane discussions you kill this forum.

Let people disagree!
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Thank you moderators for all your hard, volunteer work. I'm amazed that whenever I report a message as spam, it is usually gone in under 30 minutes.

I reported the message in question today, when it was the only message in the thread. I can understand why a thread started by an obvious spammer was deleted. If the following conversation, which I didn't see, was so compelling, please start a new thread about it.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Why not make your own black Friday thread?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I own two forums. I have to tell you that there is a LOT of work involved in keeping a forum running smoothly --and mine are nowhere near as large as this one is. I (with the help of my mods) have to monitor spam, keep members from killing each other, and fix anything that breaks --oh, and I have to do it *yesterday*. I also don't really take kindly to members shouting "censorship!" at me when all I'm trying to do is provide a decent place (on my dime, mind you) for people to hang out in cyberspace. I pay for it, I make the rules. I try to keep members happy, but it's damn near impossible to keep everyone happy at all times.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
As a staffer on other forums, i know it is a fine balancing act between running a good board where all can have their say or making sure the forum is not so rule bound that people can't have a say.

Sometimes it is easy to get it wrong, i say that because i was once wrongly reported on here as a spammer when all i was was a very green newb asking an innocent question., but thankfully it was rectified and i can honestly say that i am so pleased as i love to visit this forum.

Staffing on a forum is not easy , but from my observations this forum is not over moderated, and from my experience the staff are very approachable should a situation arise, i for one am a happy camper.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Deleting the first post in a thread deletes the entire thread. That's just the way that the board software works. Spam posts ALWAYS get deleted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Deleting the first post in a thread deletes the entire thread. That's just the way that the board software works. Spam posts ALWAYS get deleted.

Good
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 AM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Interesting isn't it how when mods do something we approve of it's moderation but when they do something we don't like it's censorship
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I think the mods are ********! And that they should ** **** ** *** * **********!

<subject being removed from the premises>
<shouting in the background>

Aaaahhhhh, don't tase me brah!
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moderator Notice
The thread specified was not "actually starting to turn into a pretty good discussion regarding Black Friday".
  • There was the initial spam post
  • There were six brief replies from five respondents
  • One respondent didn't initially realise it was spam (but responded "Doh" further down)
  • The other four replies effectively just said "spam"
  • Three of the five respondents reported the post as spam

This was a typical spam post as we see it every day. Every respondent knew that. Three of the five reported it, expecting it to be deleted. You can call "censorship" if you wish, but you may as well be calling "censorship" on all the spam-filtering-deleting-and-banning that has taken place, reported or caught by us before reported. It certainly wasn't "turning into" anything that it couldn't and can't turn into with a new thread created not by a spammer but by a real member.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers,
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote