Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What story doomed to repeat will we read in May?
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore 10 71.43%
Willoughbyland by Matthew Parker 4 28.57%
The Prestige by Christopher Priest 4 28.57%
Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky 9 64.29%
Writing on the Wall: Social Media - The First 2000 Years by Tom Standage 5 35.71%
The Appointment by Herta Müller 2 14.29%
The Soul of a New Machine Tracy Kidder 4 28.57%
Concrete Planet: The Strange and Fascinating Story of the World's Most Common Man-Made Material 6 42.86%
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't love the Hoopla app myself, but I reconcile myself to it when it's a case of long waiting lists at OverDrive. It's an option I'm glad to have, especially for audiobooks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I consider Hoopla the last resort--I don't think I've ever borrowed an e-book from them, in fact, just an occasional audiobook. At my only library that uses Axis360, the wait times are usually worse than at the Overdrive libraries.
The price for the eBook is only £0.99 ($1.42 USD today) at either KoboUK or AmazonUK. And, FWIW, the AudibleUK WhisperSync price is only £2.99. ($4.25 USD) So, it would seem to me a bit of judicious virtual travel might be in order.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll put both versions on hold and see what happens!

I'm finding it somewhat surprising that there are wait lists for the book at all of my libraries, even though they have multiple copies. I know it's fairly new, but even so, it seems unusual.
My library has hardcover, Overdrive ebook and downloadable audio, and CD versions - all with wait lists. The wait list for the Overdrive ebook is the worst - about 106 requests on 10 copies, followed by the downloadable audio (46 requests on 10 copies). That's why I'm finally trying CloudLibrary; I can get it as a Lightning read (7 days, no hold requests). I must say that doing it this way does discourage procrastination about taking it up.

The copy I am reading - on an Android phone - has a reading group guide, along with notes and bibliography appendices.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't love the Hoopla app myself, but I reconcile myself to it when it's a case of long waiting lists at OverDrive. It's an option I'm glad to have, especially for audiobooks.
I use it mostly for audiobooks. I like to check out music too. Its great benefit is instant access with no waits.

Catlady, I understand your reluctance to use Hoopla. You could check out the book from Hoopla in order to see the pictures and notes and use it to supplement the audiobook. Just another thought.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The price for the eBook is only £0.99 ($1.42 USD today) at either KoboUK or AmazonUK. And, FWIW, the AudibleUK WhisperSync price is only £2.99. ($4.25 USD) So, it would seem to me a bit of judicious virtual travel might be in order.
I don't know how to do the traveling bit, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I use it mostly for audiobooks. I like to check out music too. Its great benefit is instant access with no waits.

Catlady, I understand your reluctance to use Hoopla. You could check out the book from Hoopla in order to see the pictures and notes and use it to supplement the audiobook. Just another thought.
Oooh, I just found the e-book at Freading through FLP. And if none of my library holds on the audiobook comes through in time, I can borrow that version from Hoopla. So I'll be all set.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know how to do the traveling bit, unfortunately.
There are lots here who could help, but...

Quote:
Oooh, I just found the e-book at Freading through FLP. And if none of my library holds on the audiobook comes through in time, I can borrow that version from Hoopla. So I'll be all set.
Good enough.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are lots here who could help, but...
Every now and again, I Google to get instructions, but the process seems either too dicey or too complex and I back out. Mainly I'd like to be able to buy from Audible UK, because many of the authors I'm addicted to are Brits and their books aren't always making it to my side of the pond, or else are late getting here. But then again, with about 600 books on various library or store wish lists, not to mention my backlog of unread books, do I truly need to add UK sources?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Every now and again, I Google to get instructions, but the process seems either too dicey or too complex and I back out. Mainly I'd like to be able to buy from Audible UK, because many of the authors I'm addicted to are Brits and their books aren't always making it to my side of the pond, or else are late getting here. But then again, with about 600 books on various library or store wish lists, not to mention my backlog of unread books, do I truly need to add UK sources?
Audible UK is fairly easy. PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Audible UK is fairly easy. PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
Thanks, will do.

This is very nice of you, especially after I was bitchy earlier, for which I apologize.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just finished The Radium Girlsand since my copy had some questions designed for a reading group, here they are:

Spoiler:
Quote:
READING GROUP GUIDE
  1. The Radium Girls is filled with both triumph and tragedy. Which part of the story affected you the most, and why?
  2. Is there a person in The Radium Girls that resonates more strongly with you than others? If so, what part of their story or character stands out?
  3. Even after radium was proved poisonous and the girls’ illness verified as work-related, the radium companies stood fast by their convictions. Why do you believe they were so resilient? Can you imagine modern companies behaving with similar ruthlessness?
  4. How do you believe the radium companies—and the press—would have reacted differently to the scandal had the workers been male? Considering the time period, how did the women’s gender help and hinder their case?
  5. How do you think today’s world would be different had The Radium Girls not fought back against the radium companies?
  6. It takes more than 1,500 years for the effects of radium to wear off. This means that the bodies of the women and parts of the towns in which they worked remain poisonous to this day. Considering the harrowing implications, why do you feel this story hasn’t been widely explored?
  7. The Radium Girls is told mostly through the eyes of the radium-dial workers, their families, and friends; however, previous research never focused on their personal journeys. How did it change your appreciation of or engagement with the story to know the smaller, personal details of the girls’ lives?
  8. Is there another historical event where you’ve noticed women being pushed to the sidelines?
  9. Although radium can be seen as an evil entity in the book, it’s also been used for the greater good. Explore how radium has changed the world in a positive way. Do you feel it was worth the sacrifice?
  10. Besides radium, what other world-altering discoveries can you think of that led to both advancement and tragedy?
  11. How were you inspired by the strength of the “shining girls,” and how can you carry that onward to incite change in your own life?

There's a couple days left before discussion starts, so there's time to review if you need to.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks Dazrin.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 AM   #27
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Does anyone know of another ebook store (outside of Amazon UK) where The Radium Girls is available for less than €10?

EDIT: Never mind, was able to find it for €5.70 through a Kobo affiliate

Last edited by Dutchbook; 06-26-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote