Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #91
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
One thing I noticed about the Kindle Fire is that my Amazon books and side-loaded books are separated. The amazon books are listed under "books" and my side loaded (calibre emailed) books are listed under "documents".
On the Fire you can get your side loaded books to show up under books instead of documents by changing the [PDOC] tag to [EBOK] in calibre. This is under Preferences---->output options---->mobi options. You'll need to reconvert the book after you change it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #92
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
After contemplating a KPW I got a Kobo Glo and it is awesome. I am coming from using T1 and I've been using e-readers for about 5 years (mostly Sony). I love the matt finish, pages turns are faster than the K1 and the light is pretty neat
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #93
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
No one knows the Kobo Glo US release date, right?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #94
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
No one knows the Kobo Glo US release date, right?
I wonder if it has FCC approval yet? That can be a bottleneck. Look how long it took Amazon to get approval on the Fire 4G.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #95
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
FWIW, new rumor says iPad Mini press event will come Oct 23.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #96
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
FWIW, new rumor says iPad Mini press event will come Oct 23.
There were rumors that invites were to have been mailed on Oct 10. I guess that must have not happened since I haven't heard of anyone receiving it. Maybe Apple is having lighting issue on the mini.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #97
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree. I've already got the Screen filter app on my Motorola Android phone and had it on the original Kindle Fire I had. Great app! Mantano is good too, but I'm one of those people who really likes to Whispersync between devices so I'll probably stick with the Kindle app most of the time.
Screen Dim is better. It's 99 cents but it's awesome! Our own Pruss here is the developer and he's outdone himself. You have presets and can change both brightness and contrast. It stays in the notification are and with a tap brings up a small screen so you can actually see behind it what the settings make the screen look like. It does not block install buttons either like screen filter.

Mantano use to be good but now it's full of bugs and too many changes. I have an old version and that's the one I am keeping.
I'd get a Nexus 7 if there was more font choices on the Kindle App. Droid serif and me do not get along.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #98
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Screen Dim is better. It's 99 cents but it's awesome! Our own Pruss here is the developer and he's outdone himself. You have presets and can change both brightness and contrast. It stays in the notification are and with a tap brings up a small screen so you can actually see behind it what the settings make the screen look like. It does not block install buttons either like screen filter.

Mantano use to be good but now it's full of bugs and too many changes. I have an old version and that's the one I am keeping.
I'd get a Nexus 7 if there was more font choices on the Kindle App. Droid serif and me do not get along.
Actually that is the one I've got. I bought it during our threads last year on the Fire.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #99
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually that is the one I've got. I bought it during our threads last year on the Fire.
Ah you said Screen Filter so I though you meant the old one. Yeah I promote Screen Dim because it's a great app. I found if I turn the contrast way down while using the White theme on my KF I get a grey background. It works but I am so use to using sepia now.
Sepia and 0.8% brightness.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #100
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Unfortunately my other devices are Kindles or Kindle apps, and they don't play nice with third party syncing. It can be done I'm told, but not worth all the extra work and trouble. Whispersync simply works, and that is why I stick with Kindles.
Whispersync just works no doubt
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #101
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Unfortunately my other devices are Kindles or Kindle apps, and they don't play nice with third party syncing. It can be done I'm told, but not worth all the extra work and trouble. Whispersync simply works, and that is why I stick with Kindles.
Got to love the block feature. No matter what jswiden says, I see none of it. Including what ever the heck he said that I quoted here lol. He needs to find something to do other than spam his hate of the paperwhite on every thread he finds.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #102
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Got to love the block feature. No matter what jswiden says, I see none of it. Including what ever the heck he said that I quoted here lol. He needs to find something to do other than spam his hate of the paperwhite on every thread he finds.
I guess we speak different languages because you obviously cannot understand English. We disagree about the PW. Big freaking deal. Get over it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I guess we speak different languages because you obviously cannot understand English. We disagree about the PW. Big freaking deal. Get over it.
Agreed. Everyone here can speak their problems or experiences with their Kindles whether positive or negative. I for one find all posts very informative on my purchase decisions.

Jack I've been there. I know how it feels to be one with a problem Kindle. don't let this guy bother ya. I remember how much you love your other Kindles the PW obviously has issues. I see many and who are saying the same thing about the PW.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #104
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Jack: I can tell you that you're not the only one with the PW problem. As we speak, I have 2 PWs on the way back to Amazon and 2 more PWs all boxed and labeled, ready to be dropped off tomorrow.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #105
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
On the Fire you can get your side loaded books to show up under books instead of documents by changing the [PDOC] tag to [EBOK] in calibre. This is under Preferences---->output options---->mobi options. You'll need to reconvert the book after you change it.
Gosh, this sounds a bit more complicated than I am now used to, now that I can actually buy books in any given format.
I have not converted books since....kindle.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote