Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Wink Life without Magisk

Magisk is a great and clever program. Still, it has to go through a lot of machinations to make its magic work. Try doing a "mount" command and see all the stuff that it has to jimmy up to make things work. Maybe the performance hit is not bad, but still...

It is possible to just make the mods that you want without Magisk. This will require you to make a full, binary backup of /vendor and /system so that when Onyx releases an incremental update it will recognize those two partitions as "virgin". Of course, retaining the last non-incremental update and fudging the script or build dates will allow you to downgrade then upgrade.

The system partition is verified against a hash tree when loading, so we want to get rid of verification. The system partition is loaded from /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom That is also verified against a hash tree when loading so we want to get rid of that verification. The vendor partition is loaded from the dtb that is stuck on the kernel in the boot partition.

So, we have to:
  • Modify the dtb in boot so that the flags "wait,verify" are changed to "wait"
  • Modify /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom so that the flags "wait,verify" are changed to "wait"
Are we there yet? Almost.
The two partitions vendor and system are protected by error correction. Android will attempt to correct any changes you make to those two partitions. We have to get rid of that too. The last 4096 block in each partition contains two copies of the FEC header. We can just zero those out.

So now you have a system where these two partitions are normally only mounted read-only, but could be modified externally. If you have a rooted recovery you can make your desired changes and reboot to the main system.

To be continued...
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
So, basically this looks like CWM?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
So, basically this looks like CWM?
Mmm, not really. It's complicated.

The first part is moving your Magisk modules to hard modifications in /system.
Magisk does disable some? verifications but doesn't? get rid of the error correction.

So you have to do a full (i.e. partition) backup of the system and vendor partitions and then disable error correction (FEC). You can then copy over your modifications to the system partition, then you can delete the Magisk modules. You're still running Magisk, but without modules. You still have access to "su".

When Magisk is running, you can't modify the system partition because it's all part of the stuff that Magisk is doing. Maybe you can mount it separately, but I'm still figuring stuff out and I don't need that uncertainty. You need a recovery. For recovery I don't need menus and "push this button", I only need a recovery with a rooted, permissive ADB. I do have one.

Code:
# mkdir fake
# mount -t ext4 /dev/block/by-name/system /fake
^D
C:\>adb push whatever /fake/system/bin/
C:\>adb shell
# chmod 755 /fake/system/bin/whatever
Of course all this stuff can be put into a makefile or a batch file to redo it all instantly when the next Onyx update comes along.

The second step would be to remove Magisk entirely. I have that working now and all my modifications work correctly. I have normal ADB access but currently it's not running rooted as I've run into some problems with permissions and I'd have to run it SELinux permissive.

Yeah, there is still work to do, but the bottom line is that I can reboot, hit "Last Read" and I'm back to my book where I was and my clicker works correctly.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard

Interim progress report:
I'm running without Magisk, with enforcing and I have a rooted ADB accessible.

I have to say, if you run the system in SELinux permissive, it's a train wreck.
All this goofy stuff writes all sorts of stuff that it shouldn't.
If you see navigation icons at the bottom of the screen you might be running permissive.

I've still a ways to go to make this a usable product.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard

I'm pretty happy with things as they are now. I've done a bunch of work on fixing the USB connection so that Onyx can't screw it up. It's always insisting on enabling MTP. My solution won't appeal to many. I just want my rooted ADB.

For those who want to mod their system without using Magisk, the information above is correct, disable verify on /vendor, disable verify on /system, disable error correction on both. To modify DTBs (without "round-tripping" them through dtc disassemble, dtc assemble) you can use my latest released dtbview.exe (in the sig). To extract/replace the dtb in images you can use imgutil.exe

Just extract, dump, hex edit, replace:
Code:
C:\>imgutil /x boot.img dtb
C:\>dtbview dtb > dtb.lst
C:\>whatever-hexedit dtb
C:\>imgutil /r boot.img dtb
Code:
041b40              vendor {
041b4c                 compatible = "android,vendor";
041b68                 dev = "/dev/block/platform/soc/c0c4000.sdhci/by-name/vendor";
041bac                 type = "ext4";
041bc0                 mnt_flags = "ro,barrier=1,discard";
041be4                 fsmgr_flags = "wait,verify";
041bfc                 status = "ok";
041c0c              }
Then (in this case) look a bit past 41be4 for the comma in "wait,verify" and change it to a null character.

Edit: You can blank the last bit of a partition easily (and without arithmetic):

For systems with eMMC (i.e. 8 x 512 blocks):
Code:
C:\>edl /e /pvendor /s-8
C:\>edl /e /psystem /s-8
For systems with UFS (i.e. 1 x 4096 block):
Code:
C:\>edl /e /u /pvendor /s-1
C:\>edl /e /u /psystem /s-1

Last edited by Renate; 05-24-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Tags
magisk