Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 02:34 AM   #1
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
[GUI Plugin] ePub Extended Metadata

ePub Extended Metadata is a plugin whose objective is to allow to read and write a wider range of ePub metadata according to the ePub standard.
  • Read and write contributors <dc:contributor> in columns (type names)

Once the different metadata is set, you will be able to import or embed its advanced metadata in your ePub in one click.

It is also possible to activate the automatic import/reading of its metadata when adding a book to your library.
Also, it is possible to activate a automatic integration of them at the same time as the default Calibre Embed action, without having to specifically activate.
Of course, other metadata not set in your plugin are kept.

Note:
  1. the setting of "ePub Extended Metadata" is done by Library.
  2. "ePub Extended Metadata" came with 2 companion plugin "ePub Extended Metadata {Reader}" and "ePub Extended Metadata {Writer}" that are auto-installed, so do not be surprised to see them appear, it means the plugin has been properly installed.
  3. The plugin use customs colums "Comma separated text, like tags", with the option "Contains names" checked to make the value separated by a Ampersand & (like Authors).

Credits:
  • The MARC Code associated name and decriptions are extracted from the Sigil code source (with minor edit)
  • Some translation of the MARC Code are also based on the translation made for Sigil (language: FR)

Installation
Open Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins and install the "ePub Extended Metadata" plugin.
You may also download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread

The plugin works for Calibre 5 and later.

Page: GitHub | MobileRead

Note for those who wish to provide a translation:
I am French! Although for obvious reasons, the default language of the plugin is English, keep in mind that already a translation.

Version History:
Spoiler:
version 0.11.2 - 2024/02/19
Bug fixes
  • Fix some untranslated string

version 0.11.1 - 2024/01/27
Bug fixes
  • Fix wrong text display when customizing keyboard shortcut

version 0.11.0 - 2023/11/17
Changed
  • Drop Python 2 / Calibre 4 compatibility, only Calibre 5 and above

version 0.10.2 - 2023/09/25
Bug fixes
  • fix a python2 imcopatibility

version 0.10.1 - 2023/09/13
Bug fixes
  • Don't update the config file when Calibre start

version 0.10.0 - 2023/08/31
Bug fixes
  • fix duplicate contributor for ePub 2

version 0.9.0 - 2022/10/19
Changed
  • Again, big rework of common_utils (use submodule)

version 0.8.1 - 2022/10/17
Bug fixes
  • Fix a error when a user categorie exist in the library

version 0.8.0 - 2022/10/11
Changed
  • Big rework of common_utils.py

version 0.7.2 - 2022/09/08
Bug fixes
  • Icon not display when a theme colors is used

version 0.7.1 - 2022/08/16
Bug fixes
  • Use literal in ePubExtendedMetadata class

version 0.7.0 - 2022/08/16
Changed
  • Back to the embeded companion plugin, more stable

version 0.6.0 - 2022/02/11
Changed
  • Moving the Metadata Reader & Writer into bundled plugins automatically installed in parallel with ePub Extended Metadata

version 0.5.0 - 2022/02/01
First release
  • Beta public test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ePub_Extended_Metadata.png
Views:	519
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	203951   Click image for larger version

Name:	ePub_Extended_Metadata-reader.png
Views:	367
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	203952  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ePub Extended Metadata-0.11.2.zip (631.5 KB, 3455 views)

Last edited by un_pogaz; 02-19-2024 at 10:27 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:54 AM   #2
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

reserverd for futur usage
Advert
Old 08-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
jktrigg
jktrigg began at the beginning.

Device: Android (FBReader Premium), Ubuntu/Windows laptops (Calibre)
Community contributions

Is this open source? Is there a public repository? (It has potential for something I'd like to see, and I'd contribute code back if it worked...)
jktrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Yep GitHub here
It would be a pleasure.
Thanks.

In ePub2, I don't seem to have missed anything. If so I would take courage to do so.
But the specific ePub3... one day but not today for me.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-19-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #5
jktrigg
jktrigg began at the beginning.

Device: Android (FBReader Premium), Ubuntu/Windows laptops (Calibre)
Just to be clear, what I want to add is importing metadata from the title page. I have an archive of ~7000 fanfics from a no longer functioning site. The epubs have no metadata, but the title page has plenty... I want to scan the title page for things like characters, relationships, etc.+
jktrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2022, 02:58 AM   #6
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

I'm afraid I have to refuse.
The plugin "ePub Extended Metadata" is intended to read ONLY the metadatas defined in the ePub standard, and thus in the OPF. And nowhere else.

I suggest you open a new thread in Calibre>Géneral or Calibre>Library Management, and explaining in detail your situation, with an example of the source file and the information to be extracted (maybe several).
It's probably possible to do this programmatically, with a python script, but this is not the right place to this.

Good luck and have a nice day.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigg View Post
Just to be clear, what I want to add is importing metadata from the title page. I have an archive of ~7000 fanfics from a no longer functioning site. The epubs have no metadata, but the title page has plenty... I want to scan the title page for things like characters, relationships, etc.+
Did you actually read the books these fanfics are based on?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
Alinara
Alinara began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have custom colums but I can not select any column in the column piker its just emty.
I have calibre 6.29 installed Screenshot: https://ibb.co/rFRWd2H
Alinara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinara View Post
I have custom colums but I can not select any column in the column piker its just emty.
I have calibre 6.29 installed Screenshot: https://ibb.co/rFRWd2H
Have you create the custom colums has "Comma separated text, like tags", and check "Contains names" to that make the value separated by a Ampersand & ? (that the only type of colums you can select in the piker)
Old 12-20-2023, 03:53 PM   #10
Alinara
Alinara began at the beginning.

Device: none
I changed my language to English now I found these custom colums options.

Thank you very much. I am from Germany so I got that point wrong because of the language barrier.

Maybe I understand your plugin still wrong? I thought if I convert a file to epub and check "Insert metadata as page at start of book"
that the selected metadata are written on this page in my new converted book.
But can not find it in the converted epub near title, publisher and date.
Alinara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #11
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Oh no no.
You talk about the Jacket feature.

My plugin is to insert metadata inside the OPF file of the ePub. It realy technical feature and probably not what you search.

To insert a Jacket (that contain metadata) as page at start of book, you need to use the tool "Polish book" and select the option "Add/replace metadata as a "book jacket" page".
You can edit and personalize the content of this Jacket page, but I recomend you to start a new thread.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 12-20-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:44 AM   #12
w00dent0p
Connoisseur
w00dent0p began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When creating the custom column, Calibre offers a Column type "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the Tag browser". Is this the one to use? I don't see the type "Comma separated text, like tags".

Also what Lookup name should I use? Do I need to create one column for each item of metadata, each with its own Lookup name?

When does the plugin integrate any modified metadata back to the EPUB? You mentioned the default Calibre Embed action, but I don't know what this is. Is it the same as running Polish?

Not much instruction, so I'm struggling a little ;-)

Thanks!!
w00dent0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #13
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dent0p View Post
When creating the custom column, Calibre offers a Column type "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the Tag browser". Is this the one to use? I don't see the type "Comma separated text, like tags".
On the creation/edit of your custom column, check the control "Contain Names"

Quote:
Also what Lookup name should I use? Do I need to create one column for each item of metadata, each with its own Lookup name?
Yes.

Quote:
When does the plugin integrate any modified metadata back to the EPUB? You mentioned the default Calibre Embed action, but I don't know what this is. Is it the same as running Polish?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d'écran 2024-01-05 162638.png
Views:	29
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	205601
Default Calibre Embed action to the left.
The update metadata in Polish action call them internaly.

And the Extended Metadata are integrated if the plugin "ePub Extended Metadata {Writer}" is activated. You can control that in the config dialog with the button "Automatic embed" (green dot, active / red dot, inactive)

Last edited by un_pogaz; 01-05-2024 at 10:45 AM.