Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Gwaredd
Gwaredd
Gwaredd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Deleting Citation Numbers

I have a rather large novel that I'm editing since it was poorly formatted. I read all my books on a Kindle so tables of content are a bit of an encumbrance. So having removed the TOC I'm left with hundreds of tiny citation numbers throughout a 350 page book. Does any one know of a way to remove all of these at one time? Doing them individually will take weeks.

Gwaredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
which table of contents did you remove? if the other one is still there then I'm not sure you want to do this.

Can you post a example. you can probably remove them with one regex search and replace.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You will probably have to do it in three steps. And there is no way to reliably do it automatically.

But you can use [1-9] to search for single numbers, [1-9][0-9] for two numbers, [1-9][0-9][0-9] for three numbers. But since it will get all numbers, you will need to look at them all.

If they are surrounded consistently by a certain codes like <sup> or <i> or <b>, you can search for them.

If it is a pdf conversion particularly, you are going to have to look at all of them, albeit for a second or two. It will take minutes, not days, though I will concede the boredom.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
if you post an example of the citation numbers you'd get a better idea if it's possible/a good idea use a regex to remove them all
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@mrmikel,

1 regex: http://regular-expressions.info/numericranges.html

I'd just stick with
Code:
[1-9][0-9]?[0-9]?
which is equivalent to all three of yours. The link has some nice frills though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Gwaredd
Gwaredd
Gwaredd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@mrmikel,

1 regex: http://regular-expressions.info/numericranges.html

I'd just stick with
Code:
[1-9][0-9]?[0-9]?
which is equivalent to all three of yours. The link has some nice frills though.
Ah, very nice. I didn't know such a thing existed. I will give it a go. The book I initially referred to is already been fixed; I had to do it by hand but since I'm retired I don't have anything better to do at times. Nevertheless, I am confronted with this from time to time so your suggestion will come in mighty handy.

Thanks mate!
Gwaredd is offline   Reply With Quote